Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hiya guys,

I wanted to by a teacher's planner - particularly the pirong's range as my tutor has one and they reviews are good.

I looked on the website and with VAT and delivery charges it goes upto 20 something quid - is that a bit much to spend on a planner? :|

Anyone know of alternative sites or shops I can get this specific brand?

I tried amazon but they only have 5 lesson planner and I need 6!
    Is this what you're looking for? I'm confused at how you're getting £20 as your total buying it directly from the website. The price without VAT is £10.50, so plus 20% puts it as £12.60. Delivery is £2.95, so that brings it up to £15.55. I'm not from the UK though and VAT is a new thing to me, so I could be misunderstanding how it's calculated.

If my maths is correct, it would be less expensive to buy it directly from the Pirong's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hiya guys,

I wanted to by a teacher's planner - particularly the pirong's range as my tutor has one and they reviews are good.

I looked on the website and with VAT and delivery charges it goes upto 20 something quid - is that a bit much to spend on a planner? :|

Anyone know of alternative sites or shops I can get this specific brand?

I tried amazon but they only have 5 lesson planner and I need 6!
    I always get my planner from epb

http://www.edplanbooks.com/the-teach...anner-c12.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a trainee primary school teacher in my 4th and final year - placements are very difficult, I have enjoyed AND struggled through them - I'm now on my final placement and have changed my outlook on it, I started writing my blog in my first year at university and now look for the best things in the day that make the job and course worth doing!! Stick with it!

At the moment i'm on placement for 12 weeks (60 days) and I decided to start blogging 60 Reasons Why I'm Sticking With Teaching!

[link removed by mod]

ReputationRep:
    Snap, I felt the same at first but now I am not fussed.

(Original post by Sam89)
    I've been following this thread for a while - am I the only one who feels extremely intimidated by the level knowledge and expertise the people on my course have?

I was reading emails sent by some of them and it feels like it's come directly out of a research paper or something and this is INFORMAL.

I feel like my course leader probably has a strong preference towards them too because the 'younger' ones in the group are more quiet and reserved we dare not speak when the experienced individuals are engaging in a discussion, and half of the time the jargon they use confuses us, I wonder what he thinks of me, and if he regrets picking me to be a trainee teacher doubts starting to settle in quite early on, not a good sign?

Just letting my thoughts out here - seems like you guys are having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else not in their placement yet? I've been trying to get in contact with my mentor but I've been having no luck :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am in uni next week after my 3 week orientation on placement... I'm not feeling overly thrilled about this - I have LOVED my placement so far and done really well in my first assessment point. Now I am faced with tons of uni work for seminars as well as the things I've already been working on, and the thought of being in lectures again is so strange after being in school. Anyone else feel like they are learning way more in school? I can't wait to be back in 2 weeks. :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I am in uni next week after my 3 week orientation on placement... I'm not feeling overly thrilled about this - I have LOVED my placement so far and done really well in my first assessment point. Now I am faced with tons of uni work for seminars as well as the things I've already been working on, and the thought of being in lectures again is so strange after being in school. Anyone else feel like they are learning way more in school? I can't wait to be back in 2 weeks. :-D
    Teaching is the ultimate 'learn by doing' job. No amount of theory can ever prepare you for the reality of the classroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Teaching is the ultimate 'learn by doing' job. No amount of theory can ever prepare you for the reality of the classroom.
    Have to agree with this. I can't wait to get more time in the school and learn by consistently being in the place of work. At the moment, with it broken up between university and school its hard to know whether I'm coming or going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr JB)
    Have to agree with this. I can't wait to get more time in the school and learn by consistently being in the place of work. At the moment, with it broken up between university and school its hard to know whether I'm coming or going.
    Can't remember a bit of theory I was ever taught (can't remember much these days anyway...) except one thing: when you've told a kid off for doing something annoying and they do it once more, then stop, it's ok to let that go because if you don't let a kid withdraw with his dignity intact, you are going to reap the whirlwind. Can't remember anything else from any single lecture ever. That one's true, though.

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting to read, and very reassuring in some ways. I guess I just have to get through it and try and put my focus on my school experience.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps in contrast to what others have said I'm gonna say try to take advantage of the uni time and chance to reflect and think of the bigger picture while you have it.

I totally agree that it's a very learn on the job thing, and that you have to try things out for yourself. It's also common for PGCE students to feel a bit odd going back to uni when you are in the flow of school.

However, on the PGCE you are only introduced to two main placements. If you only had that then you wouldn't have a chance to see other ideas about the way things can be done. Every school and teacher is different and I think it's very important to find the type of education you agree with. To do this fully you need to figure out what you think about childhood, about how children learn. It's also easier to keep your principles in mind rather than getting distracted by the day to day of planning techniques, data, marking. I feel my time in uni, though not all exactly how I would have organised it, really allowed me to develop my principles and they are really what it's all about. Plus it gave me invaluable time to catch up with coursemates and compare what we were all doing. Many new ideas were gained through this.

Xxx
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Perhaps in contrast to what others have said I'm gonna say try to take advantage of the uni time and chance to reflect and think of the bigger picture while you have it.

I totally agree that it's a very learn on the job thing, and that you have to try things out for yourself. It's also common for PGCE students to feel a bit odd going back to uni when you are in the flow of school.

However, on the PGCE you are only introduced to two main placements. If you only had that then you wouldn't have a chance to see other ideas about the way things can be done. Every school and teacher is different and I think it's very important to find the type of education you agree with. To do this fully you need to figure out what you think about childhood, about how children learn. It's also easier to keep your principles in mind rather than getting distracted by the day to day of planning techniques, data, marking. I feel my time in uni, though not all exactly how I would have organised it, really allowed me to develop my principles and they are really what it's all about. Plus it gave me invaluable time to catch up with coursemates and compare what we were all doing. Many new ideas were gained through this.

Xxx
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your response! I will try to make the most of the time in uni despite it feeling, as you said, slightly odd. I am obviously excited to catch up with everyone so that will be nice. I'm just trying not to let all the assignments stress me out!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response! I will try to make the most of the time in uni despite it feeling, as you said, slightly odd. I am obviously excited to catch up with everyone so that will be nice. I'm just trying not to let all the assignments stress me out!
    Yes, don't panic about the assignments. Use the bits you can find useful, and remember they are only a minor part of it. And remember they want you to pass, no PGCE provider wants students to not pass so they will provide ample support and opportunities for you to get it all done by the end of the course.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have really enjoyed my placement and teaching a whole lesson to a whole class for the first time ever but I am back at uni for a week and then have a study week. I am glad in a way as I want some time to reflect on it all and discuss everyone's placements and how they are going!

We are also getting some relevant lectures/seminars and we are supposed to be preparing for our masters level essay :eek:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching a whole lesson to year 7s on Wednesday. I haven't done any teaching at all yet and I feel a bit like I'm running before I can walk.

Am I out of my depth or is this a normal thing to start teaching with a whole hour of lesson?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm teaching a whole lesson to year 7s on Wednesday. I haven't done any teaching at all yet and I feel a bit like I'm running before I can walk.

Am I out of my depth or is this a normal thing to start teaching with a whole hour of lesson?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's fine year 7s are lovely, they are still new to the school as you are. You will be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    It's fine year 7s are lovely, they are still new to the school as you are. You will be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've worked with them a bit before answering questions, making suggestions and helping groups and stuff.

It's just teaching sounds so scary at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you done any whole class interactions? Eg/ register, starter activities... I'm in Primary and that's what I've done so far. When I go back after half term I'll be straight into whole lesson teaching - 6 lessons a week to begin with.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any whole class interactions? Eg/ register, starter activities... I'm in Primary and that's what I've done so far. When I go back after half term I'll be straight into whole lesson teaching - 6 lessons a week to begin with.
    No starter or register taking. My mentor will be in the room with me ready to step in and I think they're a nice bunch on the whole. It's just behaviour management and pitching things correctly. I have a whole unit to teach before Christmas but I have a couple of spare lessons to run over into.

And I'm not all that loud either. I've done a register in my form and I'm still learning to project.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No starter or register taking. My mentor will be in the room with me ready to step in and I think they're a nice bunch on the whole. It's just behaviour management and pitching things correctly. I have a whole unit to teach before Christmas but I have a couple of spare lessons to run over into.

And I'm not all that loud either. I've done a register in my form and I'm still learning to project.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay. I honestly think the best way is s to just do it - you'll learn way more and once the first lesson is it of the way you'll probably feel much better. Good luck with it!! :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.