Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    How do people prepare for these video interviews? Do you write down a script or just a few rough notes or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Able star)
    How do people prepare for these video interviews? Do you write down a script or just a few rough notes or what?
    No script but what I do is think about the competencies a firm is looking for e.g. teamwork, communication, and I just note down a couple of examples from education, work experience, ECs, hobbies that I can use so if I'm asked a question and I've already used one example elsewhere I have a few other options. I normally then just bullet point key words - I try not to look at the paper but I have it by my side just to glance at if I get reallyyyyy lost for words. Also if you write key words then you're less likely to need to look at the notes as opposed to a script. I find this makes responses more natural and less stilted than if you were to write a script.

However, seeing as I didn't think my last video interview was great I may be wrong! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the exact deadline for Slaughter & May TC application for non-law graduates? The trainee brochure said March 2015, but I simply cannot find a fixed date on the website, nor on any other law websites...

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, I did prepare a few questions that law firms usually ask, and examples for competency questions. When answering I placed my notes in front of the screen not to watch myself and to focus on the camera.
    Hope this will help
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Covington & Burling offer

ReputationRep:
    Final application in...but I keep thinking, maybe I'll just do one more. Not sure it's wise to prolong the agony though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonlife)
    anyone got any tips for the Bird & Bird vid interview?
    I'm also wondering what they could ask - do you reckon it's more 'why law, why B&B' or more like commercial awareness stuff?? or competency questions? really have no clue where/how to start prepping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footchemllab)
    Congrats if you don't mind me asking, I noticed that you received an offer for K&L Gates' vac scheme do you mind telling me how long they took to reply to you? I applied on the 31st and still haven't heard anything so wondering if what to deduce from that :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalipso708)
    I'm also wondering what they could ask - do you reckon it's more 'why law, why B&B' or more like commercial awareness stuff?? or competency questions? really have no clue where/how to start prepping!
    It says that:

1) Practice with sample question
    2) Answer Bird and Bird's question on video

Do you think it will really be one question?

EDIT: no, it says that we shall read a set of questions and then record your answers. I should really read through e-mails properly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Please don't write a script! It looks awful and sounds awful (not very genuine).

You shouldn't take the approach that this is a speech, more a conversation where you just can't see the other person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done this Bird & Bird video interview yet? If so, please share !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieRosePicknel)
    Anyone heard anything further from Sidley Austin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got this email on Tuesday.

The selection process for the Sidley Austin LLP Vacation Scheme is underway. Your application is strong and is being considered. I will be in touch again shortly with a decision on your application, your patience is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkkkk)
    I got this email on Tuesday.

The selection process for the Sidley Austin LLP Vacation Scheme is underway. Your application is strong and is being considered. I will be in touch again shortly with a decision on your application, your patience is appreciated.
    Yeah I received that also, just want to hear back already!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    Sure, just copying something I PM'ed to another member for ease:

I honestly wouldn't worry about the case study, it was the easiest case study I did out of CC, Freshfields and A&O. I wouldn't say it required any 'commercial awareness' as such, just a general understanding of how business and commerce works, e.g. the sorts of things a business needs to think about when considering a merger for example. It wasn't anything overly specific, just general considerations. Let's say it was a merger for example, try to go over general issues like: how it would be financed, what due diligence would be needed, tax structuring, are there any disputes pending, what rights do employees have, etc. and try to relate it back to CC's departments.

Hope this helps.

Hi, do you have any advice for Feshfields case study? How was it different from the CC/A&O one? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kadov;53966483]
    (Original post by sports007)
    Anyone heard from Nabarro post AC

Myself and another candidate at my AC heard back positively on Monday; just over a week since the AC
    Okay thanks!! Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footchemllab)
    Yay me too! which scheme are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French_Cat)
    Has anyone done this Bird & Bird video interview yet? If so, please share !
    I think everyone might be waiting for someone to take the bullet and do it first ahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawyer20)
    It says that:

1) Practice with sample question
    2) Answer Bird and Bird's question on video

Do you think it will really be one question?

EDIT: no, it says that we shall read a set of questions and then record your answers. I should really read through e-mails properly.
    Do you know if the test starts automatically after the sample question? I am afraid to practice because I am worried it might start my test immediately after :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalipso708)
    Do you know if the test starts automatically after the sample question? I am afraid to practice because I am worried it might start my test immediately after :eek:
    I think you can, but I'm not 100% sure so I haven't done it myself!

I have to do it tonight so I'll try and offer some helpful advice without saying what the actual questions were (for obvious reasons).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narusku)
    Not really a reply to your question but as i'm in a similar position: is it normal for a firm to offer a TC at the end of an Easter vac?
    Yes - they will do to those they want to offer. They might put you on hold as well.

If you get an offer but want to hold out for your summer schemes, the best thing to do is be honest and ask for extra time on your offer so you can try out the other firm and be sure in regards to any decision.

Any firm who doesn't offer you this extension and forces you to make a decision is probably not the type of firm you want to work for anyway!

The alternative is to ask for your training contract interview to be later on in the year, so you know any potential offers will be made at around the same time.

Or you could ask the firm you have a summer vac scheme with to bring your TC interview forward, but then you would have to make a decision on whether to accept before you vac scheme.

Yes, you could withdraw your acceptance at a later stage but if everyone did this the system would be screwed, and all the ways students are currently protected by the code of best practice would suddenly be ignored by the recruiters as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.