Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetNothing)
    Going to the doctors tomorrow, hopefully they'll refer me to a psychiatrist or something. I'm writing a list of "symptoms" or whatever cause my anxiety makes me completely socially inept to talk to people about things like MH issues.
    good luck! hopefully they sort something out for you, writing things down sounds like a good plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    generally you try 2 SSRIs, and if they don't work, then you try other stuff.
    yeah, there trying me on an added dose of my antipsychotic (because a small dose helps depression) if that works, to try harder antidepressants.

(Original post by GEEKHELP)
    so did you guys go to the NHS hospital after your GP reffered you to see a psychiatrist? and then they give you the meds? and is counseling mandatory?
    i went to my dr first who said i had depression and prescribed me an antidepressant. since then i have seen a few different drs (moved) and when i got very ill mentally my dr reffered me for a mental health assessment, and from that a psych prescribed me new medication.

generally your GP will be the prescribing person unless your ill enough to warrant a psych and such

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    good luck! hopefully they sort something out for you, writing things down sounds like a good plan
    Thank you! I hope they sort something out for me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    yeah, there trying me on an added dose of my antipsychotic (because a small dose helps depression) if that works, to try harder antidepressants.

i went to my dr first who said i had depression and prescribed me an antidepressant. since then i have seen a few different drs (moved) and when i got very ill mentally my dr reffered me for a mental health assessment, and from that a psych prescribed me new medication.

generally your GP will be the prescribing person unless your ill enough to warrant a psych and such
    thanks to everyone who replied your answers are invaluable because I am genuinely scared about the medication and counseling. I am looking for a career in healthcare science and I don't want my medical records to hinder me in any way. I know most jobs do not look at those records but I have seen some where they ask your GP to say you are ok etc. But my health should come first right?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I hope they sort something out for me too
    they should at least try if you specifically ask for something!

ReputationRep:
    thanks to everyone who replied your answers are invaluable because I am genuinely scared about the medication and counseling. I am looking for a career in healthcare science and I don't want my medical records to hinder me in any way. I know most jobs do not look at those records but I have seen some where they ask your GP to say you are ok etc. But my health should come first right?
    your dr will suggest counselling, and counselling can be VERY beneficial, but if you try it and its not for you they cant force it on you.

with regards for your job, on this thread theres people studying pharmacology, think someone is doing some form of medicine, theres a social worker, im a youth worker, and yes you may have to fill in an occuplational health form, but they wont deny you because of depression. at uni they generally use that to HELP you.

also i know a paramedic person, who has severe depression, to the point she has tried to end her life, and shes about to get a job with the north west ambulance service. so it wont affect you AT ALL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    your dr will suggest counselling, and counselling can be VERY beneficial, but if you try it and its not for you they cant force it on you.

with regards for your job, on this thread theres people studying pharmacology, think someone is doing some form of medicine, theres a social worker, im a youth worker, and yes you may have to fill in an occuplational health form, but they wont deny you because of depression. at uni they generally use that to HELP you.

also i know a paramedic person, who has severe depression, to the point she has tried to end her life, and shes about to get a job with the north west ambulance service. so it wont affect you AT ALL.
    Thank you for the reassurance. I will try to arrange to see the GP this week and sort it out. It's been 2 years already of this empty feeling...im not sure if anything will make it better but I have to try

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I'm studying pharmacy, and my university knows about my anxiety and depression. They're fine with it and it's in no way going to hinder me from qualifying and becoming a pharmacist. They told me the only time they'd be concerned was if I wasn't taking steps to get better, so the fact that I'm in counselling and on antidepressants is a good thing to them :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    Hiya

I'm studying pharmacy, and my university knows about my anxiety and depression. They're fine with it and it's in no way going to hinder me from qualifying and becoming a pharmacist. They told me the only time they'd be concerned was if I wasn't taking steps to get better, so the fact that I'm in counselling and on antidepressants is a good thing to them :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats really good to hear did you get diagnosed after you started University?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    so did you guys go to the NHS hospital after your GP reffered you to see a psychiatrist? and then they give you the meds? and is counseling mandatory?
    I was sent to a psychiatrist for suspected psychosis. In my case, it was the psychiatrist who put me on the meds, rather than the GP. And that was after a lengthy stalwart where I refused to take meds. Was one of the best things I have ever done though, agreeing to take them :yep:

Counselling is helpful but not mandatory. There are long waiting lists, so just be aware of/prepared for that :sadnod:

Going to the doctors tomorrow, hopefully they'll refer me to a psychiatrist or something. I'm writing a list of "symptoms" or whatever cause my anxiety makes me completely socially inept to talk to people about things like MH issues.
    Good luck! Writing stuff down is a good idea.

Which reminds me, I need to write my psychiatrist a letter, asking for DSA evidence! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I was sent to a psychiatrist for suspected psychosis. In my case, it was the psychiatrist who put me on the meds, rather than the GP. And that was after a lengthy stalwart where I refused to take meds. Was one of the best things I have ever done though, agreeing to take them :yep:

Counselling is helpful but not mandatory. There are long waiting lists, so just be aware of/prepared for that :sadnod:

Good luck! Writing stuff down is a good idea.

Which reminds me, I need to write my psychiatrist a letter, asking for DSA evidence! :eek:
    Thanks! I'm going to write everything down after i've had a bath and made myself a cuppa

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to do anything or go anywhere without annoying someone :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Thats really good to hear did you get diagnosed after you started University?
    I was initially diagnosed when I was 15, then when I was applying to university I was in a good place so I didn't list it. Then while I was at uni things got worse and I had to go back on antidepressants and I let my uni know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    cant stop crying for 30 seconds to even pack for tomorrow. feels like someones grabbing me by the heart. this is what happens when I go to appointments. this is why I want to give up on it. makes so much worse and no one knows what to do. arghhofhviusnfiuvhdhvb :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaryScience)
    cant stop crying for 30 seconds to even pack for tomorrow. feels like someones grabbing me by the heart. this is what happens when I go to appointments. this is why I want to give up on it. makes so much worse and no one knows what to do. arghhofhviusnfiuvhdhvb :bawling:
    Big hugs, hun :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had a good day today. Went for a job interview, and got invited back for a second interview! Also went out for dinner with a friend, which was really nice too.

Hope everybody's doing ok, and hugs if not

ReputationRep:
    :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDukem)
    :sad:
    :jumphug: what's up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    :jumphug: what's up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for seeing what's up I seem to make people unhappy for one. But the real problem is that I don't really know what's wrong. I just don't feel right :sad:

ReputationRep:
    at a meeting tomorrow, not sure if its uniform or not, and the leader isnt replying to my last email i sent, and im worried that shes not talking to be, because the other day i offered to help with something and she never even ackowledged my offer

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.