Turn on thread page Beta

The Liverpool FC Thread XII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    okay so we've conceded 12 goals in 8 games.
    that's a ridiculous average of 1.5 per game and 57 over the entire PL season.

7 more than we conceded last season with an attack that is way below par - it's not looking good.
    add that to the fact that we still have to play chelsea, arsenal and united before xmas; all top teams that have no real problem scoring goals...
    unless we have a massive step up when sturridge returns or upgrade in january, is it worth being optimistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    okay so we've conceded 12 goals in 8 games.
    that's a ridiculous average of 1.5 per game and 57 over the entire PL season.

7 more than we conceded last season with an attack that is way below par - it's not looking good.
    add that to the fact that we still have to play chelsea, arsenal and united before xmas; all top teams that have no real problem scoring goals...
    unless we have a massive step up when sturridge returns or upgrade in january, is it worth being optimistic?
    Tbh we have a woeful defence as well. But our attack ****s on yours . If Sturridge returns then United Liverpol game could end up with a ridiculous scoreline.

Seriously Welbeck will score goals against your defence and Costa will have no problem in scoring past your defence (tbh he'll probably score against any defence bar a rare few). Liverpool lose to Chelsea, Arsenal and United and you can say goodbye to those top 4 hopes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Well he stormed out of the stadium after not being picked at the end of September I think. Don't think he is injured but admittedly I haven't been keeping track.

He's apologised for his behaviour and tbh I think we should now try to move forward. The hope was that Lovren and Sakho could develop a partnership but that seems to be quickly going to ****. Need to bed down a solid back four who know and understand each other. (In case it wasn't obvious that should be Manquillo - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno.)
    God knows then,he seems to have disappeared.

Sakho is a 'meh' player for Liverpool imo. He plays really well for France so its a mystery why he cant replicate that for Liverpool. It's probably because he has a better partner in Kos or Varane when he plays for French national team. Lovren is woeful, sorry but 20m for him is criminal. Manquilo has impressed me especially how he seems to have settled quite quickly. Moreno is a quality signing and attacking wise he seems great although he does seem a bit suspect defensively and mainly because of a loss of concentration.

United and Liverpool both need a settled backline tbh. Arsenal are struggling with injuries at the back as well. Seriously it's asif no one wants to finish top 4 bar City and Chelsea:lol:. Southampton are doing great but its more like WBA last season, great start but they began to falter as the season went on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Fair enough, ive been seeing Liverpool fans calling for Rodger's head and some even predicting he'll be sacked by Christmas. Tbh he did buy poorly in the summer (although its only 8 games in and a bit harsh to judge them since its still early into the season).
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rodgers will be here for many years imo, even if we do have a bad season here or there. I don't think our summer was that bad tbh.

I think Moreno and Manquillo have proven themselves to be good signings. As someone who watched a lot of Southampton last season and before, I'm absolutely certain that Lallana and Lovren will also prove themselves to be top quality.

Lambert was simply bought to give the squad something it didn't have. Some people have been critical of his performances but he made a real impact against in the first couple of games when he came on as a sub. He's clearly lacking sharpness, but he'd be scoring plenty of goals by now if he'd been given the same chance as Balotelli to get up to fitness.

Markovic showed small glimpses of what he's about in pre-season but really that injury seems to have destroyed any chance he has of making any big impact this season. Probably overpaid for him although we won't be able to judge that for a few years yet. We've gotta remember he's only 20. Not everybody can be a Sterling.

Balotelli was a last resort. Rodgers even said himself that he had no interest in signing him. We looked at other options and simply couldn't get them in for varying reasons. It was a risk and one that unfortunately doesn't seem like working out. As you said, it's probably his last chance at a big club so I guess we thought he might actually get his act together. It's a shame about Remy's failed medical. In hindsight, we probably should have paid a little bit extra to be able to get Origi this season, but his goalscoring record wasn't exactly great last season so it seemed the best option at the time for him to have another year at Lille.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Tbh we have a woeful defence as well. But our attack ****s on yours . If Sturridge returns then United Liverpol game could end up with a ridiculous scoreline.

Seriously Welbeck will score goals against your defence and Costa will have no problem in scoring past your defence (tbh he'll probably score against any defence bar a rare few). Liverpool lose to Chelsea, Arsenal and United and you can say goodbye to those top 4 hopes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    meh, things change.
    our attack was better last season, yours is easily superior this year.
    i don't really want to think about our defence coming up against di maria, falcao, mata, rooney and van persie right now...
    although sturridge and sterling vs your defence is something that could be comedy gold.

nobody can stop costa, it's just how many you can limit him too.
    look at how easily a "meh" player likezamora owned our defenders today, costa could do that easily but he can also create his own chances and finish them off.
    welbeck wouldn't fare as well because he isn't as strong but i don't think arsenal would have much trouble supplying him with chances if our defence doesn't improve.

redknapp got it perfect today - a hilarious way to overwhelm our defence is to literally stick one big strong forward up top and route one it to him.
    not even joking, it's that simple.
    add a few pacey wingers either side and he'll just knock it on for them.
    QPR should've battered us today; the reason they didn't is the same reason they're going down bottom this year.

ReputationRep:
    in all fairness, as bad as our back four looks, our individual players are better than united's.

moreno > shaw
    lovren and skrtel/sakho >= jones and rojo
    manquillo >= rafael

i don't have a problem with our individual players.
    it's just that when you put them together and stick them on the pitch they become retarded.

ReputationRep:
    RE Sakho, he was left out of the 18 man squad for a game at the end of September so stormed off... At the time, Johnson was injured, and Enrique was on the bench so it made sense to have a right-footed CB (Toure) on the bench in case anything happened to Manquillo, which is why I think he was left out. According to Rodgers, they talked it out and everything is fine but he picked up an injury a couple days later which ruled him out for like a month. I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the France squad this time round.

I think the biggest issue with him (and indeed the rest of our defence) is simply communication issues. It takes time to form a solid partnership, especially when you don't have the same first language. I'm sure it'll come eventually between our CBs.

ReputationRep:
    Manquillo is not better than Rafael. He's been solid so far though and has been performing better but to suggest he's better than Rafael after 5 games is just plain bias.

Rafael is a very good fullback and for the past 2 seasons has been having to cover for a non existant right wing attacking threat while rarely at full fitness, no wonder why he's been poor.

ReputationRep:
    Rafael is mediocre lol. Comparisons to other players like that are tedious really but I would pick Manquillo if I had to play a match tomorrow.

Our CB problems will never be sorted as long as Skrtel is in the team.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't watch the whole game, but I've seen the miss. I make that the 8th or 9th sitter he's missed for us now.

Truth is, for a club that's supposedly turned more and more statistical with its recruitment policy, Balotelli's career shooting conversion stats have always been awful, or mediocre at best. It's just not good enough. How the **** did they choose to buy someone who is just, plain and simple, not good at scoring goals? Sure, he has everything in his locker (except consistent finishing) but you can't just take on every ****ing project on Earth. Bony would have been a much better option in the same price range and there's a lot more too.

God knows why Rodgers chose him. I don't believe this last resort bull**** AT ALL. If Remy was our number 7 then we'd be barely a point or two behind Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I turned the game off in disgust when QPR scored for 2-2 (I was already late getting somewhere)

ReputationRep:
    OK, now with the Sturridge injury re-occuring and the clear fact that our team doesn't have any sort of tactical identity at the moment, I think we'll get 4th instead of 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    in all fairness, as bad as our back four looks, our individual players are better than united's.

moreno > shaw
    lovren and skrtel/sakho >= jones and rojo
    manquillo >= rafael

i don't have a problem with our individual players.
    it's just that when you put them together and stick them on the pitch they become retarded.
    Rafeal is better than Manquillo, not seen enough of Jones and Rojo together to compare.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...victor-4467206

FFS.

ReputationRep:
    dw guys, we'll just sign Cech.

ReputationRep:
    Sterling and Coutinho yesterday though, wow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Brad Smith has been recalled from his loan.

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/...l-2026362.aspx

James Pearce said Moreno was rested for Weds... guess Enrique was no good yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    Jam is either patronising you in the extreme, or he doesnt watch football. Probably both. Get an idea in your head and stick with it etc. He should be on RAWK.

''best set up to win the league''

''best set up''

''win the league''
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ed-with-valdes

Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Brad Smith has been recalled from his loan.

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/...l-2026362.aspx

James Pearce said Moreno was rested for Weds... guess Enrique was no good yesterday?
    Enrique was awful yesterday. He made Glen Johnson look good. Clearly gunna take him time to get back to his best after such a long time out, but unfortunately we don't have that time to give him.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.