Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what about Leicester university with average.590???
    would I have any hope in applying there?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks and it worries me that some people are going to be lulled into a false sense of security reading other peoples comments like 'the real thing is waaaaay easier than the mocks!' 'You're likely to get 50-100 points higher than your average mock score so don't worry if you're not doing well in the mocks' 'this section is so much easier/harder than the mocks' etc. etc.

A lot of the comments/tips on here ARE great and helpful - however comments such as the above are NOT helpful. Everyone has a different experience which I fully appreciate & I'm not trying to scare anyone (honestly ) - but if you've not done the exam yet please do not rely too much on these amazing success stories people are sharing.

p.s. sorry for being a bore - I mean well I promise!

ReputationRep:
    Did the UKCAT today, posting my scores here for the mocks:

MOCK A: VR = 830, 12 QR = 500, 37 AR = 670, Average: 667
    MOCK B: 39 VR = 850, 20 QR = 630, 33 AR = 630, Average: 703
    MOCK C: 30 VR = 670, 24 QR = 670, 39 AR = 700, average = 680 (QUITE TIRED)
    Medify 1:VR = 800, QR = 800, AR = 750, average = 783
    Medify 2:VR = 730, QR = 730, AR = 670, Average = 710
    Medify 3:VR = 700, QR = 730, AR = 770, average: 733
    Actual: VR = 610, QR = 890, AR = 750, average: 750

As far as the test goes, VR was very difficult as everyone had said. About 8 of the passages went from the top to the bottom of the page, 2 were 3/4 of the page and 1 was between 1/2 and 3/4. For lots of the questions the answers weren't decisive (could've been one of two answers) and from talking to my friends, i think i got quite a hard set of questions (2 or 3 true/false). Frankly i thought i did better than 610.

QR, as everyone said, was easy. Simple maths but sometimes time consuming, quite a lot was repetitive. However some of my friends did get some harder questions on this, so I'm guessing i had an easy set and they had a medium/hard.

AR unlike what most people said, didn't have many simple patterns for me. Quite a few were conditional, some were complex, some had multiple rules, some were very time consuming (number of intersections = number of parallel lines - 2). The simplest one I had was number of segments was even/odd. However this did balance out because I only had 1 set 4, and then three set 2 or 3s which were all quite easy, so altogether I'd say i had a medium set.

And just for anyone that wants a score reference: [without DM]
    2015 average = 632.75 [634], 10th decile = 712.5 [713.9 approx]
    2014 average = 626.25 [630.3]. 10th decile = 707.5, [711.8 approx]

so Decision Making did pull the scores down ever so slightly, but its pretty insignificant. And the score given is the lowest score you could've got to be in the 10th decile (top 10% of people) so bear in ming the scores on here are not representative. Good luck everyone
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Herbie9)
    Hi,

I've been following this thread for the past couple of weeks and it worries me that some people are going to be lulled into a false sense of security reading other peoples comments like 'the real thing is waaaaay easier than the mocks!' 'You're likely to get 50-100 points higher than your average mock score so don't worry if you're not doing well in the mocks' 'this section is so much easier/harder than the mocks' etc. etc.

A lot of the comments/tips on here ARE great and helpful - however comments such as the above are NOT helpful. Everyone has a different experience which I fully appreciate & I'm not trying to scare anyone (honestly ) - but if you've not done the exam yet please do not rely too much on these amazing success stories people are sharing.

p.s. sorry for being a bore - I mean well I promise!
    I agree, yes QR is easier in the real things, yes VR is harder in the real thing, but that doesnt matter. Just do you and go for it regardless of what everyone else is doing or saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbradley42)
    I'm sure you've already answered this, Ash, but how do the UKCAT requirements differ between Grad and UG Medicine. Are they higher for Grad courses?

I'm a graduate of law (2.1) and hopeful medic and I have just taken my AS exams (predicted A*A* and I already have AABB in original sitting). I was originally going to apply for UG only courses to maximise my chances of getting in.. but do you think if I get a good UKCAT score I would stand a chance of getting into grad med?
    Yes there is a BIG difference in the UKCAT requirements for Grad. There is a Graduate entry medicine thread which has a lot of information.*

Also for Grad courses most Uni's don't look at GCSE's or A-Levels.

With a law degree you have a few options Warwick being the 1st that jumps to mind. Warwick have a separate cut off for VR I think it's something like 540 last year. The overall is around 700. But to stand a chance in the other Grad courses 730+ is a comfortable score. Again depends on how well the remaining cohort do, but based on previous years.

Most other Uni's that accept non-science background just look at the overall average such as,*
    Cambridge
    Newcastle
    Nottingham
    Southampton
    St George’s London
    Swansea *

Roughly 700 is an OK score 730+ is a very gapped score for grad. Anything below that would be great for UG but very little chance in grad course. I don't know much about the UG UKCAT score, but I've heard that 600-650 are very good scores. But don't quote me on this.

The problem for Graduate students taking the 5yr course is funding. There is little no help. But the Grad courses are VERY, VERY competitive hence the need of a SUPE HIGH UKCAT score.
    I hope that's helped a little. :-)**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    Did the UKCAT today, posting my scores here for the mocks:

MOCK A: VR = 830, 12 QR = 500, 37 AR = 670, Average: 667
    MOCK B: 39 VR = 850, 20 QR = 630, 33 AR = 630, Average: 703
    MOCK C: 30 VR = 670, 24 QR = 670, 39 AR = 700, average = 680 (QUITE TIRED)
    Medify 1:VR = 800, QR = 800, AR = 750, average = 783
    Medify 2:VR = 730, QR = 730, AR = 670, Average = 710
    Medify 3:VR = 700, QR = 730, AR = 770, average: 733
    Actual: VR = 610, QR = 890, AR = 750, average: 750

As far as the test goes, VR was very difficult as everyone had said. About 8 of the passages went from the top to the bottom of the page, 2 were 3/4 of the page and 1 was between 1/2 and 3/4. For lots of the questions the answers weren't decisive (could've been one of two answers) and from talking to my friends, i think i got quite a hard set of questions (2 or 3 true/false). Frankly i thought i did better than 610.

QR, as everyone said, was easy. Simple maths but sometimes time consuming, quite a lot was repetitive. However some of my friends did get some harder questions on this, so I'm guessing i had an easy set and they had a medium/hard.

AR unlike what most people said, didn't have many simple patterns for me. Quite a few were conditional, some were complex, some had multiple rules, some were very time consuming (number of intersections = number of parallel lines - 2). The simplest one I had was number of segments was even/odd. However this did balance out because I only had 1 set 4, and then three set 2 or 3s which were all quite easy, so altogether I'd say i had a medium set.

And just for anyone that wants a score reference: [without DM]
    2015 average = 632.75 [634], 10th decile = 712.5 [713.9 approx]
    2014 average = 626.25 [630.3]. 10th decile = 707.5, [711.8 approx]

so Decision Making did pull the scores down ever so slightly, but its pretty insignificant. And the score given is the lowest score you could've got to be in the 10th decile (top 10% of people) so bear in ming the scores on here are not representative. Good luck everyone
    Excellent Score Well done!

Having said that your scores for your mocks were really good too! *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    Excellent Score Well done!

Having said that your scores for your mocks were really good too! *
    Thanks

And for anyone wondering where their score can get them to:

http://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/ho...the-ukcat-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessScott)
    a lot of people do mock tests do ok and then really excell in the real thing. apparently it isnt as harshly marked as things like medify etc. honestly just practice as much as you can because you will most likely to much better in the real thing

i can still get student loan with UG and bank loans for fees, ill be a qualified nurse so can work on the side and due to my course finishing in january if i went to do medicine i would be working for 8 months and have money saved and then through summers i can work full time and get lot more money so it should work out ok

my exam is this saturday! the 10th, when is yours?
    That is true. There is always the option of working throughout this year to earn enough for the 5yr med.*

Mine is tomorrow, hence the panic earlier. But Im not panicking anymore. I don't think Im going to do that well, so i'm not pressurising myself. Im going to do the best I can and see what will happen. :-)*

I think the average for UG will increase this year too. As so many UG students are excelling Kudos to them!

*Good luck*

ReputationRep:
    Did really badly in the UKCAT:
    VR: 530
    QR: 850
    AR: 600
    Average: 660
    SJ: Band 2
    Pretty disappointed with the result.
    I wanted to apply to Queen Mary and St George's... do I stand a chance?
    GCSE: 6A* 4A
    AS: AAAAA
    A2: probable predictions A*A*AA
    So what would you advise?

ReputationRep:
    I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithi98)
    I don't think thats a bad score for UG Med :-). I know someone who got an offer from Kings with 650 for the UG med last year.

ReputationRep:
    I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have the book for it but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithi98)
    You still stand a chance at Queen Mary because your high UCAS tariff will make up for your lowish ukcat, and you should be able to get an interview I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have the book for UKCAT but, I was wondering if studying the book alone will be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    I don't think thats a bad score for UG Med :-). I know someone who got an offer from Kings with 650 for the UG med last year.
    Initially I was thinking of King's, Queen Mary and St George's, but after ukcat I was wondering if to apply to King's(extended) and St Georges as I don't think the score is good enough for QM and the standard at King's.

ReputationRep:
    You still stand a chance at Queen Mary because your high UCAS tariff will make up for your lowish ukcat, and you should be able to get an interview I'd imagine.
    Thank you! Do you think I stand a chance at St George's or the extended degree at King's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediocreman)
    Thanks for the response. Are there any other universities that i should look to avoid? Or better universities that i should look at, since my UKcat score is good and it's only just the SJT letting me down?
    Pretty sure it's just Edinburgh which are really strict with SJT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about 793 UKCAT and 480 tariff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stone101)
    the published lowest scores they consider is quite surprising though. my sister is a 3rd year medic at glasgow and she was very surprised to hear about the lowest score that they have said they considered for her year as pretty much everyone she had talked to in her year scored near or above 700. it may be coincidental but it is interesting and strange.
    So my 1940 score probably won't make the cut... Applying as a grad and need to stay in Scotland due to funding. Can only apply to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee so i was hoping I would be ok for Glasgow.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.