Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beta14)
    I divided the conc by 5 then used the Kw of 60*C i think thats what you were supposed to do, a similar question came up last year 2015 paper as a 3 marker and thats what the mark scheme says to do
    I tried to do that and failed so....
    I ended up just putting that 11.73 or whatever. But I'm sure your method is right yeah.

ReputationRep:
    what did people do in that buffer solution pH question where HNO2 and NaNO2 were added?
    I thought you just use the buffer concentrations calculated from the given concentrations and volumes in the question? It's just simply mixing an acid and it's conjugate base? (Na+ ions are only spectator ions I think so nothing actually reacts)
    and it was only 3 marks so probably nothing tricky was needed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    what did people do in that buffer solution pH question where HNO2 and NaNO2 were added?
    I thought you just use the buffer concentrations calculated from the given concentrations and volumes in the question? It's just simply mixing an acid and it's conjugate base? (Na+ ions are only spectator ions I think so nothing actually reacts)
    Calculate moles of acid and conjugate base, divide by 1000 to get concentration, use Kaacidoversalt to get [H+], - log to get 3.43 IIRC

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    Calculate moles of acid and conjugate base, divide by 1000 to get concentration, use Kaacidoversalt to get [H+], - log to get 3.43 IIRC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's exactly what i've done; as it was 1 dm^3 basically moles of acid and base was same as concentrations if i remember correctly
    but people seem to have done 3 different things in this thread so i got unsure...

ReputationRep:
    4 marks so it is defo not boring buffer question. if they give concentration in buffer there will only be 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    4 marks so it is defo not boring buffer question. if they give concentration in buffer there will only be 2 marks.
    you had to calculate concentrations of acid + base in the buffer solution (that could be 2 marks, each term worth 1 marks)

1 mark for for using the right formula

1 mark for answer?

what have you done in that question?

ReputationRep:
    Would the marks be for calculating moles or the actuallt conc (I know they're the same but still)

ReputationRep:
    Number of mole of HNO2 was 0.04
    Number of mole of NaNO2 was 0.05
    0.05-0.04=0.01 [NO2-]
    [H+]= (Ka*0.04)/0.01
    -log [H+] =pH
    I don't remember the Ka

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pezhman)
    Number of mole of HNO2 was 0.04
    Number of mole of NaNO2 was 0.05
    0.05-0.04=0.01 [NO2-]
    [H+]= (Ka*0.04)/0.01
    -log [H+] =pH
    I don't remember the Ka
    Dont take off 0.04 Moles

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the paper? Unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    Isn't it to do with the black-grey precipitate (I2) and the yellow precipitate (AgI)?
    idk, I reckon that was the hardest question on the paper though ngl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlam)
    idk, I reckon that was the hardest question on the paper though ngl
    Nooo that wasn't too bad really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many marks the page on the gold complex was, I ran out of time and didn't answer any of it. Do you think it's still possible to get an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommason)
    Does anyone know how many marks the page on the gold complex was, I ran out of time and didn't answer any of it. Do you think it's still possible to get an A?
    think it was 6 or 8 marks that single page, im thinking 6
    and yeap it should be if everything else was okay

ReputationRep:
    No 2015 was easier! I'm with you
    (Original post by Slenderman)
    In comparion to 2015. Harder or easier? Am I retarded to think the grade boundaries will be 75 for an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilkFriend)
    Anyone got 10.76... no idea about what happened.
    It was 20cm3 of 0.0270moldm^-3 NaOH (or whatever?) diluted up to 100cm3, and the Kw was 9.311*10^-14.

New conc = 0.0270/5

So -log(9.311*10^-14 / (0.0270/5)) = 10.76.

I think what the other person may have done is taken it as them adding 100cm3 (I can't remember the question but I think it said diluted up to?) so divided 0.0270/6 and put it in to get 10.68.

ReputationRep:
    you had to calculate concentrations of acid + base in the buffer solution (that could be 2 marks, each term worth 1 marks)

1 mark for for using the right formula

1 mark for answer?

what have you done in that question?
    same as what you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson2)
    It was 20cm3 of 0.0270moldm^-3 NaOH (or whatever?) diluted up to 100cm3, and the Kw was 9.311*10^-14.

New conc = 0.0270/5

I think what the other person may have done is taken it as them adding 100cm3 (I can't remember the question but I think it said diluted up to?) so divided 0.0270/6 and put it in to get 10.68.
    i did the same ha......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    i did the same ha......
    I'm pretty sure it said diluted up to as opposed to added to. I would think that whichever it wasn't would still get most of the marks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson2)

New conc = 0.0270/5

Ok, thanks, So does that means 10.76 is more likely to be the right answer?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.