Maths Uni Chat Watch

Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Well, I have to learn half a terms work in 2 days. But, yeah first year is to easy everything is stupid. All the proofs are trivial and the only non trivial things I came across are not examinable.

P.S. Found a really good book on geometry by Coxeter. Thought I would download it as I read something called the Coxeter group, so the author is probably a decent mathematician.

Anyway, I better revise now.
You are muddling up exam questions and mathematics. If you want to be a good mathematician you need to be able to know the material inside out and prove many things [and have some experience, intuition, etc].

The exams are designed to make sure you have a knowledge of the material and can apply the theory you have covered (to hammer my point home many of the mathematicians in my year don't understand how to prove most things in analysis yet they can memorise the bookwork].
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
...plus the points in that other thread about there needing to be easy marks so that a third of the year doesn't fail.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
You are muddling up exam questions and mathematics. If you want to be a good mathematician you need to be able to know the material inside out and prove many things [and have some experience, intuition, etc].

The exams are designed to make sure you have a knowledge of the material and can apply the theory you have covered (to hammer my point home many of the mathematicians in my year don't understand how to prove most things in analysis yet they can memorise the bookwork].
Well, in a way your mathematical ability is measured in exams, so like if you get a first you will be able to get a PhD, but if you get a second then you will struggle espically if you want to go to a top uni. Well, I used to think learning material inside out was improtant, not so much now. Maybe, I need to stop trying to follow Nash.

Shamefully, I bet only 10% actually do. But, tbf I don't look at examples and other such stuff, but instead focus on being able to do the proofs.

(Original post by majikthise)
...plus the points in that other thread about there needing to be easy marks so that a third of the year doesn't fail.
I don't know, but why can't a third of the year fail? Surely, its better than having a system that rewards shallow thinking?

P.S. But, tbf I guess if you get "better" after the first year, then you can't really complain.

P.P.S. Saying that I only learnt a few things;
1. lectures are the most pointless thing ever.
2. Do never take notes instead its better to try to understand logic behind it.
3. Doing homework is pointless.
4. That doing indepent study is infinitely better than the tripe you learn at uni.
5. I suck badly at number theory and should avoid it in the future.
6. Linear algebra isn't that bad.

Sadly, 5. is a bit of a problem as I planned to actually go into that, but I have no talent or intuition or anything vaque understand of it.

P.P.P.S. Need to sleep now.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're really going to regret 1, 3 and 2 (to a lesser extent) in a year or so. Possibly sooner.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doing as much homework as possible is the important one IMO, if I had done the optional questions on each sheet throughout my degree instead of being lazy I'd be sitting on a high first instead of a comfortable 2:1. Getting the hang of the theory whilst revising comes relatively easy, but really getting to know a subject inside out doesn't happen without answering lots of difficult problems. Doh.
My Alt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
http://www.cucc.net/pages/Cuppers Your guys are playing Jesus in the QFs, so I assume you did miss something. Churchill should be topping the charts in general now, vs Kings one of our guys too tok 5-6 and another scored 119!
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Calculas and mechanics is depressing, it looks like I may be joining the accountancy Uni chat forum for next year xD

Although I did read you only need 30% to pass if you get 40% average overall and attended 90% of your examable stuff.
And i have about 13% from cwk/supervisions. Meaning i need 17%/80% so i need just under 25% of the marks on this exam.

Still going to be a struggle xD
Pheylan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what are you lot planning to do after uni?
jj193
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
IIRC simplicity :jive: said that he'd love to be a banker.
Pheylan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pheylan)
(Original post by some numpty's neg rep comment)
prostitution, is my plan. How dare you ask.
:curious:
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ste0731)
Calculas and mechanics is depressing, it looks like I may be joining the accountancy Uni chat forum for next year xD

Although I did read you only need 30% to pass if you get 40% average overall and attended 90% of your examable stuff.
And i have about 13% from cwk/supervisions. Meaning i need 17%/80% so i need just under 25% of the marks on this exam.

Still going to be a struggle xD
I'll take your Mechanics and Calculus for you and you can take my two Analysis modules.... :yep:
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
I'll take your Mechanics and Calculus for you and you can take my two Analysis modules.... :yep:
Deal

Now... anyone wanna trade 2 analysis modules for anything?

I'm sure we can pass modules around more and more so we all pass? surely must be possible :cool:
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I take it no one heard of the people who did this last year - an econmics student paid £20,000 to an investment banker to take his exams - unfortuantely he ws discovered and they spent 8 months in prisons. Harsh.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
MY BRAIN
http://alostpeople.bandcamp.com/track/big-booty-*****es
Simplicity
Rep:
?
I understand everything except, where the hell does this come from

F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2} |r|, well bad latexing.

Also, pertubation need to look that up.

Finally, anything with orbits i.e. the above and yeah.

Probably make a TSR thread tomorrow.

P.S. I hate bankers, I would never become one. Well, they are to blame for nearly everything that is wrong with society. Probably end up becoming a n category theoriest.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pheylan)
Have a bit of a crisis and probably move back home for a while, peruse some grad level representation theory papers to see if I'd likely be able to hack applying next year and then apply for jobs accordingly (any old job to live off for a year if I'm feeling confident about future PhD-dom, otherwise get very stressed about career choices). I'll probably finally get round to quitting this place after next Tuesday as well.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by majikthise)
Have a bit of a crisis and probably move back home for a while, peruse some grad level representation theory papers to see if I'd likely be able to hack applying next year and then apply for jobs accordingly (any old job to live off for a year if I'm feeling confident about future PhD-dom, otherwise get very stressed about career choices). I'll probably finally get round to quitting this place after next Tuesday as well.
Aren't you scared about the post grade trap. You do a PhD, then you are forever stuck in a limbo being paid like 25 grad, but with crazy hours.

P.S. Representation theory. I wonder what that was about, the name would suggest maths about how to represent stuff. But, I doubt its that simple as I read that would be something called model theory.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
P.S. Representation theory. I wonder what that was about, the name would suggest maths about how to represent stuff. But, I doubt its that simple as I read that would be something called model theory.
I recall you have met some group theory - have you come across an isomorphism?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeanK22)
I recall you have met some group theory - have you come across an isomorphism?
I came across the meaning in linear algebra. A isomorphism is a bijection between sets.

P.S. Oh, wiki explains it good. So representation theory is just fancy linear algebra, I wrongly assumed that it would be interesting.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I came across the meaning in linear algebra. A isomorphism is a bijection between sets.

P.S. Oh, wiki explains it good. So representation theory is just fancy linear algebra, I wrongly assumed that it would be interesting.
Both are incorrect but whatever, I give up if you won't try.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (62)
37.58%
No - but I will (6)
3.64%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads