Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Choo.choo)
That is the argument from the Better Together camp, which you are clearly in, so I am choosing not to answer your point for that reason.
So you are refusing to answer that point because I'm on the other side of the debate? :confused: Are you saying you'll only debate with people who already agree with you?

How though? The point of the currency union is to benefit both sides. A biased view, in my opinion.
Well I agree it probably would benefit both sides. However it would benefit Scotland much more so than it would the UK. The UK's trade with Scotland would make up a smaller part of their overall economy than the other way round. So the UK would have more to bargain with when setting the terms of the union.
Choo.choo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have presented my arguments for a shared currency.
It is not about having separate things because we are independent; it is about what works for the parties involved, and I believe that a shared currency will benefit both England and Scotland.
Choo.choo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As for people who wonder why Salmond wants Scotland to be a member of the EU.
Two possible reasons (and there are others):
A lot of farmers rely on EU subsidies. And we would be cutting off a large market for our products.
Maths Tutor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Wingsoverscotland have a habit a banning anybody who's not on message.

The nationalist community don't tend to like criticism.
You don't have the guts to debate with the "cyberNat community".

Just like the Prime Minister of the UK comes to Scotland to scaremonger but doesn't have the guts to debate the issue with the First Minister of Scotland.

And since you didn't know, Alex Samond is NOT the head of 'YES Scotland'.

The head of 'YES Scotland' is Dennis Canavan, an ex-Labour MP.

The head of 'NO Scotland', Alistair Darling, an opposition backbench MP, doesn't have the guts to debate with his counterpart at 'YES Scotland'.

http://wingsoverscotland.com will only ban you if you keep on repeating the same nonsense over and over again.

Like your favourite piece of nonsense:

Westminster rules over Scotland like it rules over Wales, Yorkshire or Chipping Norton. You
choose to have a parochial outlook and will therefore always see yourself as a victimised minority. There's people throughout

Scotland that see themselves as a victimised minority in Holyrood.

You seem to forget that we've produced two out of the last three PMs. Hardly a case of a far off distant parliament of foreigners telling us what to do.

(Original post by Maths Tutor)
That NONSENSE yet again?

Are Scottish Prime Ministers biased towards Scotland?

Are English Prime Ministers biased towards England?

Are Welsh Prime Ministers biased towards Wales?

Are Irish Prime Ministers biased towards N. Ireland?

Thank you for demonstrating to me that nationalists seem to be driven by a xenophobic streak.

Every part of the UK gets treated equally

(Original post by Maths Tutor)
That can't be true. Two of the last three prime ministers were SCOTTISH. By YOUR perverted logic, that was great for Scotland as the SCOTTISH prime ministers must have been 'more equal' to Scotland than rUK.

Since you seem so ignorant about it, let me inform you.

Scottish independence is NOT about the ethnicity of the Prime Minister.

It is about bringing an end to Westminster rule over Scotland.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is not about having separate things because we are independent; it is about what works for the parties involved, and I believe that a shared currency will benefit both England and Scotland.
Well clearly independence is about having at least some separate things, otherwise it wouldn't be independence.

I suppose we agree that Scotland would not have an automatic right to be in a currency union with the UK. However I agree that they would both be better off if they did. But of course I would think that, I think we're all better of sharing more than just a currency.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thoughts on today's announcement that the shipbuilding jobs on the Clyde are only being kept going through MoD contracts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As for people who wonder why Salmond wants Scotland to be a member of the EU.
Two possible reasons (and there are others):
A lot of farmers rely on EU subsidies. And we would be cutting off a large market for our products.
Then under EU law he will have to sanction free education for RUK students. How will that be funded?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We already use the same currency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you going to come back on how long it will take to transition and setup an independent Scotland?

Having a shared tax system benefits both parties, doesn't mean thats what those advocating independence want.

It is unlikely the rest of the UK would want a representative of a foreign power sitting on its monetary committee.

But yeah, any time you want to suggest how long it would take to setup a Scottish benefits system, feel free to get back to me.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Then under EU law he will have to sanction free education for RUK students. How will that be funded?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The oil fund. Haven't you heard about the oil fund. It's going to sort out everything for us. The SNP have already earmarked it three or four times over now with their promises. But don't worry, they're looking at setting up a second oil fund on top of that to finance even more outlandish claims. When they've spent that three or four times over, they'll set up a third one.
Left Hand Drive
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only way to protect jobs in the shipyards is to vote no they said. Another lie by the better together.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
The only way to protect jobs in the shipyards is to vote no they said. Another lie by the better together.
One of the few actual lies to have been told was by the SNP over their supposed legal advice on EU entry. Yes campaigners can only reply 'but Westminster lies too' to get around this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
Not really. Admiralty contracts are very important to the survival of the shop yards on the Clyde. No admiralty, no ship yards.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
One of the few actual lies to have been told was by the SNP over their supposed legal advice on EU entry. Yes campaigners can only reply 'but Westminster lies too' to get around this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've missed out on many other lies. Entry into NATO, automatic use of Pound Sterling, pensions, oil funds etc. I could continue.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You've missed out on many other lies. Entry into NATO, automatic use of Pound Sterling, pensions, oil funds etc. I could continue.
It seems if the fishy duo of Salmond and Sturgeon tell fibs nobody minds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Danny Alexander came out today saying Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK. Surely now the least.worst option would be their own.currency?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Danny Alexander came out today saying Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK. Surely now the least.worst option would be their own.currency?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you wait, maths tutor will be along talking about a currency union with Norway.
Dejomony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok if scotland becomes independant what will happen to he Union Flag... the blue cross represents scottland. If scottland becomes independant then the whole UK flag will have to change
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well if the electorate subsequently decide they would want.

I think what people are missing with this is that independence is one decision. The Yes campaign can hypothosis about potential scenarios, but the poeple of Scotland will have to go to the polls again to decide on a Govt for that independent Scotland and the way it will work.

That might elect a Govt on the platform of joining the EU, which would mean the euro, probably with a sterling pegged currency in the interim.

That might elect a Govt which will bring in the gold standard.

The point is nobody knows.

Danny Alexander won't be in the Treasury when that vote happens and anything said this side of the independence poll is pretty meaningless other than assessment of probabilities.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dejomony)
Ok if scotland becomes independant what will happen to he Union Flag... the blue cross represents scottland. If scottland becomes independant then the whole UK flag will have to change
Who knows, it might even represent Wales in some way...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads