The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
Original post by Choo.choo
I have presented my arguments for a shared currency.
It is not about having separate things because we are independent; it is about what works for the parties involved, and I believe that a shared currency will benefit both England and Scotland.

Well clearly independence is about having at least some separate things, otherwise it wouldn't be independence.

I suppose we agree that Scotland would not have an automatic right to be in a currency union with the UK. However I agree that they would both be better off if they did. But of course I would think that, I think we're all better of sharing more than just a currency.
Thoughts on today's announcement that the shipbuilding jobs on the Clyde are only being kept going through MoD contracts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As for people who wonder why Salmond wants Scotland to be a member of the EU.
Two possible reasons (and there are others):
A lot of farmers rely on EU subsidies. And we would be cutting off a large market for our products.

Then under EU law he will have to sanction free education for RUK students. How will that be funded?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is not about having separate things because we are independent; it is about what works for the parties involved, and I believe that a shared currency will benefit both England and Scotland.

We already use the same currency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4064

Are you going to come back on how long it will take to transition and setup an independent Scotland?

Having a shared tax system benefits both parties, doesn't mean thats what those advocating independence want.

It is unlikely the rest of the UK would want a representative of a foreign power sitting on its monetary committee.

But yeah, any time you want to suggest how long it would take to setup a Scottish benefits system, feel free to get back to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Midlander
Then under EU law he will have to sanction free education for RUK students. How will that be funded?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The oil fund. Haven't you heard about the oil fund. It's going to sort out everything for us. The SNP have already earmarked it three or four times over now with their promises. But don't worry, they're looking at setting up a second oil fund on top of that to finance even more outlandish claims. When they've spent that three or four times over, they'll set up a third one.
The only way to protect jobs in the shipyards is to vote no they said. Another lie by the better together.
Original post by Left Hand Drive
The only way to protect jobs in the shipyards is to vote no they said. Another lie by the better together.

One of the few actual lies to have been told was by the SNP over their supposed legal advice on EU entry. Yes campaigners can only reply 'but Westminster lies too' to get around this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Left Hand Drive

Not really. Admiralty contracts are very important to the survival of the shop yards on the Clyde. No admiralty, no ship yards.
Original post by Midlander
One of the few actual lies to have been told was by the SNP over their supposed legal advice on EU entry. Yes campaigners can only reply 'but Westminster lies too' to get around this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've missed out on many other lies. Entry into NATO, automatic use of Pound Sterling, pensions, oil funds etc. I could continue.
Original post by MatureStudent36
You've missed out on many other lies. Entry into NATO, automatic use of Pound Sterling, pensions, oil funds etc. I could continue.

It seems if the fishy duo of Salmond and Sturgeon tell fibs nobody minds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4071
Danny Alexander came out today saying Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK. Surely now the least.worst option would be their own.currency?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Danny Alexander came out today saying Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK. Surely now the least.worst option would be their own.currency?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you wait, maths tutor will be along talking about a currency union with Norway.
Ok if scotland becomes independant what will happen to he Union Flag... the blue cross represents scottland. If scottland becomes independant then the whole UK flag will have to change
Reply 4074
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if the electorate subsequently decide they would want.

I think what people are missing with this is that independence is one decision. The Yes campaign can hypothosis about potential scenarios, but the poeple of Scotland will have to go to the polls again to decide on a Govt for that independent Scotland and the way it will work.

That might elect a Govt on the platform of joining the EU, which would mean the euro, probably with a sterling pegged currency in the interim.

That might elect a Govt which will bring in the gold standard.

The point is nobody knows.

Danny Alexander won't be in the Treasury when that vote happens and anything said this side of the independence poll is pretty meaningless other than assessment of probabilities.
Reply 4075
Original post by Dejomony
Ok if scotland becomes independant what will happen to he Union Flag... the blue cross represents scottland. If scottland becomes independant then the whole UK flag will have to change

Who knows, it might even represent Wales in some way...
Original post by Quady
Who knows, it might even represent Wales in some way...

yes but remeber how big of a change this will be... the whole world looks at the union flag and remembers the United Kingdom... but when scottland leaves, then it will take a long time for the whole world to notice our new flag... would be a weird change imagine how many places will need to change their flags?
Reply 4077
Original post by Dejomony
yes but remeber how big of a change this will be... the whole world looks at the union flag and remembers the United Kingdom... but when scottland leaves, then it will take a long time for the whole world to notice our new flag... would be a weird change imagine how many places will need to change their flags?

I don't think the whole world would care, if the US added/removed a star I really wouldn't be bothered.

TBH the remaining part of the UK don't have to change, its just some colours on some cloth. Its not like it changed when India etc were added.
Original post by Quady
I don't think the whole world would care, if the US added/removed a star I really wouldn't be bothered.

TBH the remaining part of the UK don't have to change, its just some colours on some cloth. Its not like it changed when India etc were added.

yeah true... but imagine the Union flag without the scottish part and an added welsh part it would be a unusual change ;__;
Original post by Aj12

Did Danny Alexander say how rUK will be effected if an independent Scotland does not adopt Sterling?

- rUK will be better off?

- rUK will be worse off?

- rUK will not be effected?

Assuming that the 'proud' and 'patriotic' Scot Danny Alexander will be a Westminster MP from a seat in England, Wales or Northern Ireland after Scottish independence, will he be against a currency union with Scotland even if that left rUK worse off or not effected?

Latest

Trending

Trending