Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Well that was just terrible.

ReputationRep:
    I finished watching it a few minutes ago, my god it has to be the worst episode in the modern iterations history. Clara is an awful companion. In fact, this series has been nothing to do with Doctor Who. It's just been documenting Clara during that time of month. Hate Danny too, he's a very cheap Mickey but has had nowhere near the character development, he's just been thrown into the mix. The kids They aren't funny, cute or even important to the plot, they're just a bunch of socially impaired ***** who've been shoved on camera. Then the cheap little reveal of the sister at the end, I sicked in my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I don't know what I just watched except that the writer of the episode needs to redo his Science GCSE. The episode was a joke a much joke than the conclusion of Kill the Moon because trees can't just grow themselves they need water,sunlight,carbon dioxide and the amount of those and temperature determine how much trees grow not whether there is a big catastrophe coming that needs trees to protect the Earth from it if that where true big forests would be growing to counteract the effects of global warming.I think this episode was so bad that it was humiliating and embarrassing for Doctor Who and its hard to believe anyone wouldn't have seen the script and just ripped it up and thrown it in the bin, how can Moffat think that sort of script is acceptable?Its as if the writer was on drugs or something.They even had speaking trees and rubbish like that when scientists have shown plants don't even have a nervous system so can't be conscious.Sci-Fis should be about exploring improbable but still theoretically realistic possibilities, those which seem ridiculous can be shown by having them come from another planet but not from Earth as scientists have observed Earth enough to know the basic rules or at least I hope.This wasn't a CBBC episode though because a lot of CBBC episodes are actually very good and mature with excellent conclusions(think Wizards vs Aliens,M.I.High,Wolfblood) I think it was more like a CBeebies episode "Lets come and play with the nice trees that magically grow to save us".It was also a very disturbing episode at time because it was implied that children who have lost their parents shouldn't want to live without them and Clara attempts to commit suicide by not going with the Doctor, I don't know what all that was about but any sensible writer would have wrote the episode with The Doctor trying to rescue every person on Earth, until He realises that the trees will save the day.
    Riiiiiight...

I'm just going to assume you're about 10 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Riiiiiight...

I'm 18 actually.What made you think I was 10?

ReputationRep:
    ....i wish the bbc would cut the hippie crap already.

ReputationRep:
    This series started off so well but it's slipped back into drab crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I'm 18 actually.What made you think I was 10?
    Just the way your post was constructed and the fact that you watch CBBC programmes.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was ok, but I can't say any more than that though. And while I agree that that was a very childish episode, I would like to remind you all that this is supposed to be a children's show :p: Some episodes have been less child-friendly than others, but we can't complain too much when there's one that's more for the intended audience than for us :p:

I am looking forward to next time. I want to know how the storyline that's been hinted at all season will come to the fore. There are two episodes to go so I doubt we will get an conclusions next week, but we might get more information at least...
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Riiiiiight...

I find it best not to engage, usually. That post was actually more coherent than they sometimes are, believe it or not...!

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree that was a pretty rubbish episode for Doctor Who, more a mix of CBBC and romantic drama where the doctor does nothing essentially.

Not bad on the scale of the Rings of Akkaten but just not doctor who.

Also hate bringing in kids and the love interest, how hard is it to ask for series 2 and 4, no other crap but a cameo, focus on the storyline. Fires of Pompeii being a great example... "Man from Gallifrey, she is returning", something to make you think. A paradox. Series 3 (though i hated Martha) and 4 were great for the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    The annoying thing is that I thought Capaldi would bring us back to the old style. I mean I do like his personality as the Doctor.... But it just hasn't felt like doctor who since Tennant at the latest. They're just making it sillier

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not a fan of Capaldi tbh. He is quirky though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I thought that was ok, but I can't say any more than that though. And while I agree that that was a very childish episode, I would like to remind you all that this is supposed to be a children's show :p: Some episodes have been less child-friendly than others, but we can't complain too much when there's one that's more for the intended audience than for us :p:
    no, it's not, it's a family show, if it was a kids show it would air at 5pm on a weekday not 8pm on a Saturday...the whole point has always been that it seeks to appeal to both younger & older viewers, it's perfectly possible to make episodes that are good but appeal to people of all ages, heck that's why the show is so popular, because it's done just that, but last night's was where it goes wrong, it was solely about pandering to the youngest viewers only at the expense of any other audience.

ReputationRep:
    family is code for kids

ReputationRep:
    Idea about the finale

The opening clip of the preview with clara holding the key. She looks like shes in the same area and dress that she was at the end of "The Name of the Doctor". We never saw how the doctor magically got her out of that area...knowing moffat that was deliberate. She seems very angry, wouldn't you if you had been left there? Also explains the, there has never been a clara oswald line...she was split into a thousand pieces and essentially one clara didn't exist. Just an idea
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ChrisLay1)
    I'm not a fan of Capaldi tbh. He is quirky though.
    Yeah I like him as an actor because I've seen him in other stuff. But neither him or Matt Smith have clicked for me as the doctor yet. I like the way he acts it (I'm pretty much the same as that but not a really intelligent alien) it's just the storylines are just too child friendly. It used to be a show that scared kids a bit, but now it's child orientated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    Idea about the finale

The opening clip of the preview with clara holding the key. She looks like shes in the same area and dress that she was at the end of "The Name of the Doctor". We never saw how the doctor magically got her out of that area...knowing moffat that was deliberate. She seems very angry, wouldn't you if you had been left there? Also explains the, there has never been a clara oswald line...she was split into a thousand pieces and essentially one clara didn't exist. Just an idea
    Funnily enough that's what I was thinking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Yeah I like him as an actor because I've seen him in other stuff. But neither him or Matt Smith have clicked for me as the doctor yet. I like the way he acts it (I'm pretty much the same as that but not a really intelligent alien) it's just the storylines are just too child friendly. It used to be a show that scared kids a bit, but now it's child orientated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I know what you mean. The episodes can be a bit jokey at times too. I actually liked Matt Smith in the end.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ChrisLay1)
    Yeah I know what you mean. The episodes can be a bit jokey at times too. I actually liked Matt Smith in the end.
    Yeah I liked Matt Smith the same way as Capaldi, it's just the episodes. I think it may be turning out like buffy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this series is more of a building block. Clara was poorly developed with the 11th doctor, so I think it's nice to actually start understanding her as a character- and Capaldi is being set-up as the doctor in a good way. Sure, the storylines aren't as good as under the 10th doctor at the moment, but there were a lot of problems with the last series that needed some serious clearing up, so I'm still hoping that next series will be the best since Tennant

ReputationRep:
    That was the worst episode I have seen for a long time, it's such a shame.

The child actors were terrible, especially the precocious ginger girl. I was unable to suspend my disbelief because not one character behaved in a believable fashion - the kids weren't remotely surprised by the magic forest or the impossible TARDIS and no one was remotely interested in a trip to space. I can buy all the fictional, out-there things as long as there are believable characters reacting to unbelievable situations.

The Clara/Danny conflict has dragged on too much now. The story made pretty much no sense and it seemed as if the writers went 'oops, we haven't explained anything - let's just introduce some magic fireflies to verbally explain everything and get all the exposition done in one cringeworthy sequence.' The dialogue was awful, an example being the unnecessary explanation of the red tree ring at the beginning that half the viewers would have forgotten about.

I honestly think I could write a better script than that. In fact I think I'd have to try quite hard to write something as bad as that. How hard is it to have a main plot that is neat and makes sense and characters who aren't annoying?

Oh and that bit with the sister at the end - completely unexplained why the tree fairies are bringing her sister home (she 'thought' her sister coming home, so she came home, but earlier in the episode she realised she wasn't making things happening by thinking them, she was just listening to the trees' plans...or something like that), and the sister managed to be a terrible actress with only 5 seconds of screen time and no lines.

Oh and also the little girl seemed to pronounce 'thoughts' as 'forts' so I was really confused for a minute when she was ranting about all the forts.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else not understand about 90% of what those glowy things were saying? It was too low-pitched for me. I heard something about always being there, and something else about growing on graves.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.