The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I do not have an Americanised taste, there is just a massive lack of good music these days
And that doesn't really answer the question of what relevance the EU has

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who would you describe as being good?
i wouldn't claim that my favourites always won. I preferred polaponk last year and malta's entry the year before

only 34% of people in the UK trust the EU, although only 38% of us trust the UK government apparently. Feeling like we aren't hated might make people feel more involved.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Then what even is right and left?
Attached files
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
They don't get to choose. If the Aussies win its Germany's I've heard.
I read that rumour too but the boss of the European Song Contest Reference Group called the announcement unfounded, premature, and said the relationship SBS has with European broadcasters will have a lot to do with deciding the host country.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
I didn't even know they were allowed to enter, but after a quick google see why - and yeh, that would be quite cool - O2 Barclays premier lounge here I would come!!!!!!
I shall join you for an evening of partying in the lounge with my fellow Eurovision fans. The worst case would be to see the competition hosted in something small like BBC Studios, Wembley Stadium would not be a bad alternative.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I read that rumour too but the boss of the European Song Contest Reference Group called the announcement unfounded, premature, and said the relationship SBS has with European broadcasters will have a lot to do with deciding the host country.

I shall join you for an evening of partying in the lounge with my fellow Eurovision fans. The worst case would be to see the competition hosted in something small like BBC Studios, Wembley Stadium would not be a bad alternative.
So the Aussies would get to choose?! That's great!!! I do hope we get it back in the UK, I want to go watch it at least one.

it might not be hosted in London remember, could be Manchester, Cardiff or anywhere really.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it is there, then just for the pleasure of meeting you IRL, I'll get you some tickets - no point paying for access when you can get in for free
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Who would you describe as being good?
i wouldn't claim that my favourites always won. I preferred polaponk last year and malta's entry the year before

only 34% of people in the UK trust the EU, although only 38% of us trust the UK government apparently. Feeling like we aren't hated might make people feel more involved.
I would say that music is like most of the older forms of media and went downhill, at a push, shortly after the turn off the century.

I still don't see how doing well in Eurovision will make people like the EU more when those issues are political, not social.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If the Aussies win it should go to the runner up, after all, of the nations that could host they won, unless we be silly and just let Australia stay in

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
It's not a spectrum, it's a compass.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
If it is there, then just for the pleasure of meeting you IRL, I'll get you some tickets - no point paying for access when you can get in for free
If you did I could not thank you enough for the gesture. How do you manage to get them for free though? I shall get you some Natalie Bennett memorabilia for a laugh to say thank you.

(Original post by Aph)
So the Aussies would get to choose?! That's great!!! I do hope we get it back in the UK, I want to go watch it at least one.

it might not be hosted in London remember, could be Manchester, Cardiff or anywhere really.
Hosting it in a regional area is something the BBC would do and there are venues big enough to take it. It would not have the same prestige as London does but Britian's standing on the world stage does not matter to people dedicated to being against everything to do with London.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
It's not a spectrum, it's a compass.
Excuse me?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would say that music is like most of the older forms of media and went downhill, at a push, shortly after the turn off the century.

I still don't see how doing well in Eurovision will make people like the EU more when those issues are political, not social.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would tend to agree with you here... I think music without a message is pointless and too many people rely on meaningless lyrics and a catchy tune to get by.

because people believe that Europe hates us, if we could show that that weren't the truth then people would likely like the EU more. You have to remember people aren't rational.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you did I could not thank you enough for the gesture. How do you manage to get them for free though? I shall get you some Natalie Bennett memorabilia for a laugh to say thank you.

Hosting it in a regional area is something the BBC would do and there are venues big enough to take it. It would not have the same prestige as London does but Britian's standing on the world stage does not matter to people dedicated to being against everything to do with London.
But no country ever hosts it in their capital do they? Well very rarely. Although I thought that most of the time they build a whole new arena for the contest.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's kinda depends on what the event is, so couldn't guarantee it for the eurovision if it were there, but it's purely down to who you know tbh... sounds cliche, but true! Hahahahaha, the Natalie Bennett **** would be worth it
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eurovision entry sorted.

Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eurovision entry sorted.

Thanks mate - you've just made me spill me beer all over the table I couldn't stop laughing!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I would tend to agree with you here... I think music without a message is pointless and too many people rely on meaningless lyrics and a catchy tune to get by.

because people believe that Europe hates us, if we could show that that weren't the truth then people would likely like the EU more. You have to remember people aren't rational.
Don't forget that these days it takes half a dozen writers to decide to repeat a single crap line for 3 minutes and sell it for a stupid price compared with one for many, many minutes with depth and quality

Posted from TSR Mobile
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eurovision entry sorted.

Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Eurovision entry sorted.

Bit too long I think it's only allowed to be 90 seconds... But the Mediterranean countries would love it
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't forget that these days it takes half a dozen writers to decide to repeat a single crap line for 3 minutes and sell it for a stupid price compared with one for many, many minutes with depth and quality

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think there are still good songs at the grass roots level though. That's the kinda stuff I prefer. Modern pop is awful.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no need for it to be in London. Really we should be developing the appeal of our other cities as well as London. If they held it in a big PL football ground like Old Trafford or Anfield then those venues have enough "prestige", as would having it under the roof at the Millennium Stadium. The indoor arenas, probably not so much, although perhaps the NEC could.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (83)
68.03%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.85%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed