Maths Uni Chat Watch

Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
Both are incorrect but whatever, I give up if you won't try.
Hmm, is the isomophism wrong. I was going through a exam paper and yeah, it had is this mapping a injection, is a it a surjection, then finally is it a isomorphism. I was under the impression that bijection was a isomorphism. If that wrong, explain goes on wikipedia.

Actually, hmm according to wiki representation theory
Representation theory is a powerful tool because it reduces problems in abstract algebra to problems in linear algebra, which is well understood
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Hmm, is the isomophism wrong. I was going through a exam paper and yeah, it had is this mapping a injection, is a it a surjection, then finally is it a isomorphism. I was under the impression that bijection was a isomorphism. If that wrong, explain goes on wikipedia.

Actually, hmm according to wiki representation theory
ffs this is beyond pointless.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
ffs this is beyond pointless.
I don't know why you are acting funny.

P.S. Oh, you need the maps to be homomorphism.
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aren't you scared about the post grade trap. You do a PhD, then you are forever stuck in a limbo being paid like 25 grad, but with crazy hours.

P.S. Representation theory. I wonder what that was about, the name would suggest maths about how to represent stuff. But, I doubt its that simple as I read that would be something called model theory.
I'm not that bothered about money, £25 grand puts you right in the middle and is fine. My main concern is whether I'll be able to handle the difficulty, which is why I'm going to read up a bit first and see how it goes.

An isomorphism is a map which as well as preserving cardinality (this is the bijection bit), also preserves the structure of whatever you're working with (this is the homomorphism bit).
Representation theory is broadly about representing a group as matrices, with the action of the group element corresponding to the linear action of that matrix on a vector space. It's fun.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by majikthise)
I'm not that bothered about money, £25 grand puts you right in the middle and is fine.
Yeah, plus I thought you get a "grant" for a PhD, rather than a salary, so there's no tax?
Personally, having seen what a PhD does to the sanity and hairline of all my tutors, I would DEFINITELY give it a miss (assuming I could actually do it anyway)
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
Yeah, plus I thought you get a "grant" for a PhD, rather than a salary, so there's no tax?
Personally, having seen what a PhD does to the sanity and hairline of all my tutors, I would DEFINITELY give it a miss (assuming I could actually do it anyway)
That's true, but the PhD grant is usually only about £14/15 thousand (tax free). You can also do marking/tutorial work for added stress and a bit more money.
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's true, but the PhD grant is usually only about £14/15 thousand (tax free). You can also do marking/tutorial work for added stress and a bit more money.
Oh yeah, that's it. I do not envy my sister whatsoever...
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just out of interest, how much does doing tute work boost your income? I can't imagine it would be that much (I've had a look at the advice given to supervisors given at Cambridge and apparently 'for the money' is a bad reason to become one).
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I understand everything except, where the hell does this come from

What do you mean 'where does it come from?'?
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can get paid to mark homeworks next year if I do well this year.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
Just out of interest, how much does doing tute work boost your income? I can't imagine it would be that much (I've had a look at the advice given to supervisors given at Cambridge and apparently 'for the money' is a bad reason to become one).
Not entirely sure- it's damn good pay per hour of actual tutoring, but if you want to do well you'll need to prepare in advance as well which takes a while and isn't paid. It probably differs between unis as well.

In other news, a massive beetle has taken up residence in my room to distract me from working. Thought it was a hornet when it was flying around!

v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not entirely sure- it's damn good pay per hour of actual tutoring, but if you want to do well you'll need to prepare in advance as well which takes a while and isn't paid. It probably differs between unis as well.

In other news, a massive beetle has taken up residence in my room to distract me from working. Thought it was a hornet when it was flying around!

That is a Cockchafer. Common in the warmer months in the East and West.

In 1320 the residents of Avignon took the population of Cockchafers living on their crop fields to court. The Cockchafers were ordered to leave the fields and retreat to a designated area of pasture within three days. Since the Cockchafers failed to comply, they were collected and killed.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
That is a Cockchafer. Common in the warmer months in the East and West.

In 1320 the residents of Avignon took the population of Cockchafers living on their crop fields to court. The Cockchafers were ordered to leave the fields and retreat to a designated area of pasture within three days. Since the Cockchafers failed to comply, they were collected and killed.
Haha, thought you were joking there.
Weird.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha, thought you were joking there.
Weird.
I love the quirks of History
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
PEndULUM!! Ah so good <3
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
PEndULUM!! Ah so good <3
nice. Were they at your college/other college's ball?

They were at mine a couple of weeks ago but I passed out at 9 pm - free Champagne is just a disaster despite my tactical chundering right after my £50 meal. Damn it. Nigella did a splendid job too.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nice. Were they at your college/other college's ball?

They were at mine a couple of weeks ago but I passed out at 9 pm - free Champagne is just a disaster despite my tactical chundering right after my £50 meal. Damn it. Nigella did a splendid job too.
Naw, we don't get anything that big, unfortunately. Was just celebrating the release of their new album (we can't get a noise complaint way on the other side of the field late at night!)

Yeah, our Spring Ball had free alcohol, but I didn't have nearly enough of it ;_;
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was under the impression that your spring balls were post exams, i.e. in a couple of weeks? (Not that it matters.)

My project defence has just (horray for 2am emails!) been scheduled for the day of my last exam, eeeeek! It seems the last ever day of uni shall also be the most stressful.
Dadeyemi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
Naw, we don't get anything that big, unfortunately. Was just celebrating the release of their new album (we can't get a noise complaint way on the other side of the field late at night!)

Yeah, our Spring Ball had free alcohol, but I didn't have nearly enough of it ;_;
clunge ball = good times
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was under the impression that your spring balls were post exams, i.e. in a couple of weeks? (Not that it matters.)

My project defence has just (horray for 2am emails!) been scheduled for the day of my last exam, eeeeek! It seems the last ever day of uni shall also be the most stressful.
That's may balls, they happen in may week(ie in june), spring balls happen at the end of lent term.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (301)
37.53%
No - but I will (60)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.48%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (381)
47.51%

Watched Threads