Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Dejomony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Who knows, it might even represent Wales in some way...
yes but remeber how big of a change this will be... the whole world looks at the union flag and remembers the United Kingdom... but when scottland leaves, then it will take a long time for the whole world to notice our new flag... would be a weird change imagine how many places will need to change their flags?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dejomony)
yes but remeber how big of a change this will be... the whole world looks at the union flag and remembers the United Kingdom... but when scottland leaves, then it will take a long time for the whole world to notice our new flag... would be a weird change imagine how many places will need to change their flags?
I don't think the whole world would care, if the US added/removed a star I really wouldn't be bothered.

TBH the remaining part of the UK don't have to change, its just some colours on some cloth. Its not like it changed when India etc were added.
Dejomony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I don't think the whole world would care, if the US added/removed a star I really wouldn't be bothered.

TBH the remaining part of the UK don't have to change, its just some colours on some cloth. Its not like it changed when India etc were added.
yeah true... but imagine the Union flag without the scottish part and an added welsh part it would be a unusual change ;__;
Maths Tutor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Danny Alexander came out today saying Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK. Surely now the least.worst option would be their own.currency?
Did Danny Alexander say how rUK will be effected if an independent Scotland does not adopt Sterling?

- rUK will be better off?

- rUK will be worse off?

- rUK will not be effected?

Assuming that the 'proud' and 'patriotic' Scot Danny Alexander will be a Westminster MP from a seat in England, Wales or Northern Ireland after Scottish independence, will he be against a currency union with Scotland even if that left rUK worse off or not effected?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths Tutor)
Did Danny Alexander say how rUK will be effected if an independent Scotland does not adopt Sterling?

- rUK will be worse off?

Assuming that the 'proud' and 'patriotic' Scot Danny Alexander will be a Westminster MP from a seat in England, Wales or Northern Ireland after Scottish independence, will he be against a currency union with Scotland even if that left rUK worse off or not effected?
What so you care about another country?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

- rUK will be worse off?

Can't imagine the consequences being worse than having to consider another countries economy which you have no control over when setting monetary policy.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
If you wait, maths tutor will be along talking about a currency union with Norway.
An independent Scotland will make decisions that are in the best interests of Scotland.

Those decisions will be made by a democratically elected government.

Since YOU are 100% confident that there will be a NO vote, why are YOU concerned?

If you secretly believe that there will be a YES vote, ask Johann Lamont, Ruth Davidson and Willie Rennie what currency they would adopt if they came to power in an independent Scotland.

The SNP if in government will adopt sterling, whether rUK likes it or not, with or without a currency union, IN THE SHORT TERM AT LEAST.

If the position of rUK leads to Scotland being better off with another currency arrangement, then I am sure an SNP government will take it up.

I haven't the foggiest idea what a non-SNP government would do. Could you enlighten us?
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Can't imagine the consequences being worse than having to consider another countries economy which you have no control over when setting monetary policy.
So currently the UK Westminster government takes Scotland and Northern England's economies into account when setting monetary policy?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An independent Scotland will make decisions that are in the best interests of Scotland.

Since YOU are 100% confident that there will be a NO vote, why are YOU concerned?

If you secretly believe that there will be a YES vote, ask Johann Lamont, Ruth Davidson and Willie Rennie what currency they would adopt if they came to power in an independent Scotland.

The SNP if in government will adopt sterling, whether rUK likes it or not, with or without a currency union, IN THE SHORT TERM AT LEAST.

If the position of rUK leads to Scotland being better off with another currency arrangement, then I am sure an SNP government will take it up.

I haven't the foggiest idea what a non-SNP government would do. Could you enlighten us?
Why would I be asking Lamont, Rennie or Davidson about currency issues. It's the SNP that are running this national embarrassment.

the SNP can say what ever they lie. I'm worried about the down side of picking a currency without any monetary union. I.e I don't want to end up like Panama using the Dollar. I want to know who's backing the currency, not just having a pegged currency.

I understand that its a complex thing for you to get your head around. But saying we'll use one currency is completely different to being backed by one.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So currently the UK Westminster government takes Scotland and Northern England's economies into account when setting monetary policy?
It takes the whole of the UKs needs in to account.

I keep on hearing about this fro
the cyberNat community about how the economic policy is set up to benefit the SE. Yet not once has the SNP explained how.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Will you be still posting in 12 months?

How much money have you put on the poll?
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why would I be asking Lamont, Rennie or Davidson about currency issues. It's the SNP that are running this national embarrassment.

the SNP can say what ever they lie. I'm worried about the down side of picking a currency without any monetary union. I.e I don't want to end up like Panama using the Dollar. I want to know who's backing the currency, not just having a pegged currency.

I understand that its a complex thing for you to get your head around. But saying we'll use one currency is completely different to being backed by one.
Why are YOU asking ANY QUESTIONS if YOU are 100% sure that there will be a NO vote?

The truth is that you are scared stiff in your British Nationalist underpants that there will be a YES vote.

There is no other LOGICAL or RATIONAL reason for someone who is 100% sure of a NO vote to be spending his/her waking life on this thread.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are YOU asking ANY QUESTIONS if YOU are 100% sure that there will be a NO vote?

The truth is that you are scared stiff in your British Nationalist underpants that there will be a YES vote.

There is no other LOGICAL or RATIONAL reason for someone who is 100% sure of a NO vote to be spending his/her waking life on this thread.
I just happen to think its pleasurable winding up unhinged people such as yourself.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Surely likewise...?

I think you seem to overlook 'its fun'.

And I really would like to know from the Yes campaign how they think the transition will work.

What different options do people think Scots will have for their tax, benefits, education and transport policies? How much they will cost to and how long they would take to put into practice. All that jazz.
ukmed108
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The universities are saying that research funding will nose dive at Scotland's unis if it were to become independent due to lost of UK based funding. As a result our universities would nose dive in the rankings.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Danny Alexander came out today saying Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK. Surely now the least.worst option would be their own.currency?
I'd be inclined to agree. The Greens back it, as do several in the independence movement. It's one of those central planks of the SNP 'nothing will change' message though - keep the Queen, keep Sterling.

(Original post by Dejomony)
Ok if scotland becomes independant what will happen to he Union Flag... the blue cross represents scottland. If scottland becomes independant then the whole UK flag will have to change
It won't have to change. Indeed, I would expect that it wouldn't. It's more than the sum of its parts.

(Original post by Quady)
India was never part of the United Kingdom.

- rUK will be worse off?

I'd be against a currency union that was not in the interests of all partners as it would be inherently unstable. Stability is essential - and we have seen currency unions fail relatively easily in the past - in just over a month after the break-up of Czechoslovakia, for example. But more importantly, the remainder of the UK would be against such a currency union.

No, the MPC in the Bank of England does.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I just happen to think its pleasurable winding up unhinged people such as yourself.

So you have nothing better to do with your waking life?
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

- rUK will be worse off?

What so you care about another country?
I want to know if "another country" will cut off its nose to spite its face.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

- rUK will be worse off?

(Original post by Aj12)
(Original post by L i b)
No, the MPC in the Bank of England does.

From the horse's mouth: Danny Alexander is scaremongering!

Has "the MPC in the Bank of England" said that "Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK"?

Provide a link if it has.
Maths Tutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Surely likewise...?
5150 posts v 620 posts.

Do you consider 5150 to be 'like' 620?

(Original post by Quady)
I think you seem to overlook 'its fun'.
So the matter of Scottish Independence is "fun" to the likes of you?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads