Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be a really amazing, 'go-getter' kind of person! We can share the same sentiments, I am in love with English!

(Original post by Nancy97)
    I completely understand you, I'm facing the same issues, but don't let fear be a obstacle in your plan and stop you in achieving your dream! That's how I think when my confidence is low at times.
    It will be amazing indeed, I'm in love with this language!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waywithwords)
    You seem to be a really amazing, 'go-getter' kind of person! We can share the same sentiments, I am in love with English!
    Hahahah, thank you, I'm going to blush! But really, just don't let your willingness and determination fade no matter what! I was determined to study at Oxford since I was around 12, so of course we are in love with our courses!! I hope we will meet at the interview if we get shortlisted! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

ReputationRep:
    OMG me too! we are very similar! That would be an amazing coincidence wouldn't it?! All the very best for your process!

(Original post by Nancy97)
    Hahahah, thank you, I'm going to blush! But really, just don't let your willingness and determination fade no matter what! I was determined to study at Oxford since I was around 12, so of course we are in love with our courses!! I hope we will meet at the interview if we get shortlisted! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waywithwords)
    OMG me too! we are very similar! That would be an amazing coincidence wouldn't it?! All the very best for your process!
    Yes, we are, it's amazing to see someone so enthusiastic about their course!!
    Yes, it would, I would meet some amazing people on Oxford, and I'm looking forward to that!!
    I wish you the same, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I did the HAT and finished prelims with a high 2:1. Trust me, the questions are designed to be very open ended to encourage candidates to approach them with some imagination. It would be pointless to set a question that only 60 or 70% of students can answer. It's an aptitude test after all - everyone should be able to do it... It's the way in which you approach the test that is going to differentiate you from the rest of the cohort.

The HAT essay question is VERY similar to a prelim question, and marked to the same standard.
    Thanks.

It's just a couple of the really old past papers that worry me...but since they have changed the format slightly the essay questions seem nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I did the HAT and finished prelims with a high 2:1. Trust me, the questions are designed to be very open ended to encourage candidates to approach them with some imagination. It would be pointless to set a question that only 60 or 70% of students can answer. It's an aptitude test after all - everyone should be able to do it... It's the way in which you approach the test that is going to differentiate you from the rest of the cohort.

The HAT essay question is VERY similar to a prelim question, and marked to the same standard.
    Thanks for all your help before btw, with my application/ps and the HAT. I'll let you know if I get an interview haha and maybe we can meet up or something

ReputationRep:
    Soo nervous lmao think I'm going to stop looking over my HAT stuff bc it's making me question life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    Soo nervous lmao think I'm going to stop looking over my HAT stuff bc it's making me question life
    I'm sure you'll do fine. What college/course have you applied for btw?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else trying to convince themselves that the required tests are probably meaningless ? :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamara98)
    Is anyone else trying to convince themselves that the required tests are probably meaningless ? :P
    I hope not, it's my only ticket to an interview lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have any tips...I'm getting desperate here :'
    Good luck to you too !
    My tips:
    - Don't waste time reading all 6 passages. Flick through them and settle on the 2/3 you like best. If you don't understand one of them then pick an alternative.

- Make sure you thoroughly plan out your essay. (This is SO important unless you're a literary genius) because you're getting marked on how you write as well as what you write. A-Level English may have taught us what to write, but the examiners for the ELAT will also be grading us on our writing style. So make sure your essay is well structured.

- I think it's better to analyse two texts as opposed to three because you'll have more time to focus on detail and really hone your analysis. Remember that it's quality that'll get you a good score, not quantity. (An essay with 4 paragraphs in the main body + intro + conclusion is decent enough.)
    [But, then again, my best friend did the ELAT last year and got 54/60 and she picked three texts so it really is up to you.]

- THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Give fresh interpretations instead of the generic ideas they spoonfeed us at school. (E.g. if the poem is about a bird taking flight then it's alright to link it to freedom (everyone will probably pick up on that). But offer more than one reading: birds are small creatures so the narrator might be shrinking themselves to fit into a smaller stature in the same way that people shrink themselves to fit into society. As a result of this metamorphosis, and on a deeper level, the poem is not really about freedom. It's about conformity and how this restricts people from /really/ taking flight. etc, etc, etc.) Then link it to context, blah blah blah... and you'll have a killer paragraph

- Remember that everyone you're up against knows what a simile and metaphor is, so don't be afraid to flaunt all the other terminology you know. (E.g. instead of repetition you can be more specific and say that it's an anaphora or anadiplosis.)

- And don't be afraid if you don't understand the passage too well. As long as you get the gist of then you can't go too wrong. Make sure you use the given theme to help you if you don't know what you want to write about and then the rest of your essay can be a spin-off to that

- If you're short on time then finish the paragraph off and write your conclusion. Don't leave your essay hanging if you want to score in the highest band.

I'm sure you'll do well. Just relax and enjoy it and go all out when it comes to your interpretations. :console:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    One question to the international applicants planning to attend an interview personally in case of getting one: Are you thinking about booking a flight just in case? Because I am not really sure.. What if I am invited and then don't get a flight anymore? But otherwise when I am not invited and I have a flight...

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I'm taking the risk of not booking a flight - single seats aren't hard to grab last minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    One question to the international applicants planning to attend an interview personally in case of getting one: Are you thinking about booking a flight just in case? Because I am not really sure.. What if I am invited and then don't get a flight anymore? But otherwise when I am not invited and I have a flight...
    I booked my flight already, though my course (Music) interviews around 80% of applicants. It cost me 100 pounds, but I checked the flights again yesterday and they had gone up to 270 pounds. If I don't get an interview, I'll visit my brother, who's at uni :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    I sent an email and said that if I'm shortlisted, I won't be able to travel (I live in the Middle East).
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I hope not, it's my only ticket to an interview lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And you WILL get it !
    (Original post by Kaddy_Dee)
    My tips:
    - Don't waste time reading all 6 passages. Flick through them and settle on the 2/3 you like best. If you don't understand one of them then pick an alternative.

- Make sure you thoroughly plan out your essay. (This is SO important unless you're a literary genius) because you're getting marked on how you write as well as what you write. A-Level English may have taught us what to write, but the examiners for the ELAT will also be grading us on our writing style. So make sure your essay is well structured.

- I think it's better to analyse two texts as opposed to three because you'll have more time to focus on detail and really hone your analysis. Remember that it's quality that'll get you a good score, not quantity. (An essay with 4 paragraphs in the main body + intro + conclusion is decent enough.)
    [But, then again, my best friend did the ELAT last year and got 54/60 and she picked three texts so it really is up to you.]

- THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Give fresh interpretations instead of the generic ideas they spoonfeed us at school. (E.g. if the poem is about a bird taking flight then it's alright to link it to freedom (everyone will probably pick up on that). But offer more than one reading: birds are small creatures so the narrator might be shrinking themselves to fit into a smaller stature in the same way that people shrink themselves to fit into society. As a result of this metamorphosis, and on a deeper level, the poem is not really about freedom. It's about conformity and how this restricts people from /really/ taking flight. etc, etc, etc.) Then link it to context, blah blah blah... and you'll have a killer paragraph

- Remember that everyone you're up against knows what a simile and metaphor is, so don't be afraid to flaunt all the other terminology you know. (E.g. instead of repetition you can be more specific and say that it's an anaphora or anadiplosis.)

- And don't be afraid if you don't understand the passage too well. As long as you get the gist of then you can't go too wrong. Make sure you use the given theme to help you if you don't know what you want to write about and then the rest of your essay can be a spin-off to that

- If you're short on time then finish the paragraph off and write your conclusion. Don't leave your essay hanging if you want to score in the highest band.

I'm sure you'll do well. Just relax and enjoy it and go all out when it comes to your interpretations. :console:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR THIS !
    I was thinking of comparing two similar texts and contrast them with a third one that would be majorly different, but again I'll see on Wednesday. I'm used to that exercise in French so doing it in English is a bit daunting. I know my technical terms perfectly well but please don't tell me they give extra points for pointing out zeugmas :')
    Have you been practicing with past papers ? It's so lovely to see a fellow English applicant that understands how daunting the test is without feeling absolutely unprepared !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Yes, I'm planning on booking a flight in advance.

One question for everyone: will I get rejected if one of my written works is related to national literature writer that is also a Nobel prize winner?! Does it even matter? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    I booked my flight already, though my course (Music) interviews around 80% of applicants. It cost me 100 pounds, but I checked the flights again yesterday and they had gone up to 270 pounds. If I don't get an interview, I'll visit my brother, who's at uni :P
    That makes sense. Well, for my course only 45% are shortlisted, so it would be a big risk and I know nobody in England (and I wouldn't be allowed to go if I didn't get an interview, I have school exams at this time) So I really don't know..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    That makes sense. Well, for my course only 45% are shortlisted, so it would be a big risk and I know nobody in England (and I wouldn't be allowed to go if I didn't get an interview, I have school exams at this time) So I really don't know..
    Ahh ok!

ReputationRep:
    I sent an email and said that if I'm shortlisted, I won't be able to travel (I live in the Middle East).
    Oh okay, so that's another case then.. I will have to go there if I am invited because I live in Germany (I understand why it is required.. I mean Frankfurt- London is about an hour flight ) But it is just complicated because I don't know if there will be still flights available when I book after an interview invitation..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.