Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    For UKCAT have a look at Cardiff definetly! Also consider QUB and birmingham.

I would advise you to do the BMAT as your academics are really great. Have a look at UCL, leeds, imperial, BSMS, oxford etc. (and no BMAT scores do not correlate to UKCAT scores, they are 2 completely different exams that require completely different skill sets).
    thank you for your reassurance, i have some hope now! i was really stressing out about UKCAT.
    By the way do you think its best to start revising for BMAT? and out of curiosity would the BMAT uni know my UKCAT score even through its of no relevance to the selection criteria ( sorry if it sounds like a stupid q )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediocreman)
    i got 830 in my QR (and 890 in my AR). For qr, the questions were a lot easier than i anticipated. Easier than medify and a lot easier than the official practive mocks and the 600/1000 Q book.
    Woah your AR is so good! Was it similar to Medify and how did you do so well in it? Thanks! (sorry if you've been asked this before)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stone101)
    no i would still apply because on their website they have said their lowest score they have accepted is something around what you have achieved. also consider the fact that there is now no decision analysis which was usually the section that brought up scores for many people. so in general i believe the ukcat scores will be lower this year. good luck and is st andrews not an option?
    I am definitely still applying to Glasgow, but after having read some FOIs on Glasgow Uni UKCAT, it looks like the lower scores have tended to come from 'REACH' applicants - a widening access participation programme. It's bizarre that the UKCAT, which is allegedly meant to level the playing field for access to medicine across society, clearly has some shortcomings ;-)
    But all I can do is hope at this stage :-)

For St. Andrews as my degree is over five years ago, they won't consider me at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleuves)
    There's no harm in applying anyway, don't be discouraged :-) as has been said on here already, many people who post on this forum are the very high achievers because people who score less well may be more shy about disclosing, so it's not fully representative.*
    I definitely shall be applying anyway, I am ok with my score, just not how universities use it :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Woah your AR is so good! Was it similar to Medify and how did you do so well in it? Thanks! (sorry if you've been asked this before)
    Thanks. Similar to medify, with the occasional one or two being harder. Simple patters mainly -black and white, odds and evens etc.

It also helps to take a second or two to confirm the sequence questions as they can be tricky at first glance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rainbow_machine)
    thank you for your reassurance, i have some hope now! i was really stressing out about UKCAT.
    By the way do you think its best to start revising for BMAT? and out of curiosity would the BMAT uni know my UKCAT score even through its of no relevance to the selection criteria ( sorry if it sounds like a stupid q )
    I would start revising for the BMAT around a month/month and a half or so before the exam, this enables you to cover everything as well as fit it around Alevel work and revision, its not worth letting Alevel work slip for the BMAT so give yourself plenty of time.

and no they will not be aware of your UKCAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I would start revising for the BMAT around a month/month and a half or so before the exam, this enables you to cover everything as well as fit it around Alevel work and revision, its not worth letting Alevel work slip for the BMAT so give yourself plenty of time.

and no they will not be aware of your UKCAT score.
    ah okay, what a relief!!!
    thanks for all your help )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown_12345)
    Hi everyone! I've been watching this thread for ages, it helped me loads! I had my test today and in the end here are my results:

VR: 670
    QR: 890
    AR: 880
    SJ: B1

Feel free to ask away, I'll be happy to help!
    Congrats on your result :-) How does your score in the actual test correlate with the mocks you did? And how much time did you spend preparing?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithi98)
    How can you get 280 tariff points when an A* is only 56? and an A is 48. Do GCSE's count?
    GCSEs don't count. Right now my minimum predicted total UCAS will be A*AAA at A2 (200, 3 A2 + general studies) + aa* (48, 1 AS and EPQ)
    totalling at 248. My A2 predictions may be higher but i'll only find that out when i get back because we weren't given the UMS, but if i were able to get general studies predicted at A* and another subject, I'd have A*A*A*Aaa* prediction and a tariff of 264, so it does build up. Who knew general studies was so amazing

(Original post by manlike99)
    They only look at the dropped AS though right?
    Probably, but its still 20 more tariff (A grade) than people without any ASs.

ReputationRep:
    Exam is in 2 weeks and Ive just started revising eeeek! I'll be using the 1000Q book and Medify. Are there any other revision tools that people found useful?? )

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I've been watching this thread for ages, it helped me loads! I had my test today and in the end here are my results:

Thats amazing, congrats! can I ask what revision tools you used to study for it and also how long did you revise for? *

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how a percentage would correlate to a ukcat score? For example, when practicing, if I scored 65% in abstract reasoning how would I find out my ukcat score from this?

ReputationRep:
    Does a UKCAT score of 660 rule me out of GEM?? I have my GAMSAT exam next week, so we'll see how that goes....really don't want to be applying for 5-year courses though unless there's no other option!

Anyone have any idea if any unis would interview me? Thanks!

ReputationRep:

Huge congrats on your score !
    What were you getting in the mocks and how do you think the difficulty was in each section compared to the mocks/practice questions?

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would drop in. UKCAT coming up.
    Graduate, 2.1 Law, Masters in Medical Law. Six years as a Clinical Support Worker, two years as a Neuro trauma AP, one year in a medium secure mental health unit.
    Lectured on medical ethics and contributed to journals.

And it all comes down to the UKCAT...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Congrats on your result :-) How does your score in the actual test correlate with the mocks you did? And how much time did you spend preparing?

Thanks!!
    thanks! Well the highest i ever got on any of the mocks i did (found on kaptest, ukcat website and medify) was approx 750! I got 650 and 670 in the last two before my actual test, and scores in each section had been continuously fluctuating! I was really stupid and whilst I did a course (kaplan) on 13th &14th august, I did not look at the stuff again till like the 29th, and even then only seriously got down to it on the 1st/2nd! Whilst starting earlier may or may not have improved my score, I deffo think I would have been less nervous and felt more prepared!

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzmuzz)
    Thats amazing, congrats! can I ask what revision tools you used to study for it and also how long did you revise for? *
    thanks! yes of course! i didn't use the 1000Q book, as i did some of the questions and they were far too difficult for me to be able to refine my skill using them. i used medify, and kaptest resources, as well as the ukcat website! also with the length of my revision, i just answered that in another response

good luck

ReputationRep:
    hey! i got 1 A* 3As at gcse and at AS I got BBCD in bio, chem, maths and physics. is it worth applying to medicine? i really want to but i'm not sure if i'll get shortlisted for an interview. i have my ukcat soon aswell. any uni recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    Thought I would drop in. UKCAT coming up.
    Graduate, 2.1 Law, Masters in Medical Law. Six years as a Clinical Support Worker, two years as a Neuro trauma AP, one year in a medium secure mental health unit.
    Lectured on medical ethics and contributed to journals.

And it all comes down to the UKCAT...
    I can't see you not getting a place to be honest! That's quite the CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stone101)
    Huge congrats on your score !
    What were you getting in the mocks and how do you think the difficulty was in each section compared to the mocks/practice questions?
    hey! thanks! i answered the first bit of your q in an earlier response, but for the latter q, I'd say:

VR: not hugely lengthy passages but still fairly long, so don't expect short passages. also, there were hardly any true/false/can't tell, and when they were there they were either medium difficulty/hard and at the end. whilst the longer Qs weren't exactly difficult they were just a pain to get through without getting sidetracked or slowed down
    QR: quite a few people are saying this, but it was quite a few 1 or 2 step calculations (straightforward) rather than anything more difficult. whilst I would deffo expect for the section to be easier than what you've been practicing, don't expect it to be super easy, as whilst the calculations are quick and easily doable, the wording sometimes catches you out! lots of adding, subtraction, percentage change, mean, median etc.
    AR: most if not all of the patterns I found were simple patterns. whilst it may not have been easy to find them in the first place, it wasn't overly difficult either! also, lots of them were pretty basic patterns, whilst I was expecting 'x happens, as does y, but only if z is an odd number'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.