Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Finished my first week of placement. It was just a prep week, so mostly observing and helping groups with work. I read the whole class a story, which was more nerve-wracking than I thought it would be! I was so tired on Friday, lord knows what I'll be like when I actually start to teach them. Back in uni for a week over half term. Very jealous of those who are off, but it will be nice to catch up with others on the course, to compare notes. I've been really lazy this weekend, done hardly any work. I feel a bit guilty, but part of me is thinking I should make the most of the rest while I can

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for not replying sooner, the past few days have been crazy.

(Original post by Pineapple pie)
    What is the assignment title? Is it a reflective account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No it's not, I have to create and hopefully teach a scheme of work on a specific topic and then write 5000 words on that.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    As pineapple pie said, what is the assignment? None of the tasks I did for assignments had to go really well as long as I recognised the flaws, reflected and figured out how to improve.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I'll think about this, I doubt I'll gain marks for doing such a dismal job.
    (Original post by Sam89)
    @Louzilla

I'm in the same position really - we have 3 assignments to complete in these few months plus these formal observations and I think the reality and pressure is setting in..

It's not as simple as I Initially thought, doubts setting in. I taught a year 9 class today and it was a tough experience, a lot of low level disruption and I really felt out of my comfort zone 30 girls do not quieten down simply when you tell them to, and the mutter a lot under their breath which is so off putting.

Year 7s where lovely and so easy to maintain behaviour, 11's on the other hand another nightmare.. hope I can cope
    I know how you feel, we can do it though! You're more capable than you think, once it's all over we can remember these days and be happy we got through them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    Thanks for your reply (and the other person who wrote a lengthy reply which I really enjoyed reading).

I was certainly having a bit of a panic then. I'm still having doubts, but I gave myself Friday evening and Saturday this weekend entirely off, which has made my dull headache (almost) disappear. I naturally put a whole heap of pressure on myself and I know I don't need to. I still have an essay to do for uni this week that I haven't started but since it's a pass/fail issue, I'm not too concerned.

The volume of work is certainly becoming real. The lesson plans are several pages long and just thinking of ideas for lessons is something that worries me a whole lot and takes me a long time to think about what they're going to do. The scheme of work from school is so broad and I can do as I please really, which isn't something I want to do - I want to be told what to do because fundamentally, I just don't know what to do because I'm there to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here completed the PGCE Primary at Reading University, or is currently on the course? I am thinking of applying there this year and using it as my first choice. Just thought someone might be able to give me some advice
    Good luck to everyone who is currently doing their PGCEs!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie543)
    Has anyone here completed the PGCE Primary at Reading University, or is currently on the course? I am thinking of applying there this year and using it as my first choice. Just thought someone might be able to give me some advice
    Good luck to everyone who is currently doing their PGCEs!
    xx

I'm there now doing it, feel free to PM me any questions!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSky)
    Thanks for your reply (and the other person who wrote a lengthy reply which I really enjoyed reading).

I was certainly having a bit of a panic then. I'm still having doubts, but I gave myself Friday evening and Saturday this weekend entirely off, which has made my dull headache (almost) disappear. I naturally put a whole heap of pressure on myself and I know I don't need to. I still have an essay to do for uni this week that I haven't started but since it's a pass/fail issue, I'm not too concerned.

The volume of work is certainly becoming real. The lesson plans are several pages long and just thinking of ideas for lessons is something that worries me a whole lot and takes me a long time to think about what they're going to do. The scheme of work from school is so broad and I can do as I please really, which isn't something I want to do - I want to be told what to do because fundamentally, I just don't know what to do because I'm there to learn.
    If you're stuck for ideas, these starter and http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resour...4-PPT-6017890/ generators are pretty good. The live on my bookmarks abr and are used by a number of other people on my course too. Quite a few of the ideas could be adapted into activities for the main lesson too. Remember that you're not there to reinvent the wheel - if you can find resources on TES or your school system etc. that do what you want then adapt them to your needs and use them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling to get going this halfterm..im loving the break a bit too much today, i managed to do my marking this afternoon but this morning was a write off of a lie in and then some good quality day time tv

ReputationRep:
    Seriously stressed now, 11 hours of planning due in, marking due next week, asignment due in at uni. Shoot me now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Anyone else struggling to get going this halfterm..im loving the break a bit too much today, i managed to do my marking this afternoon but this morning was a write off of a lie in and then some good quality day time tv
    You should spend only one or two days working during half term! Make the most of your time off, term time is hectic enough.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a lesson to plan and some other assignment work to do so i guess Ill have to see how long it all takes me. I just feel guilty to just be sitting around! Lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently off on a prep week, due to go out on Teaching Practice from next week until the middle of January. Already, I'm feeling so demotivated. I'm having hassle with my school also with not being given a timetable, any indication of the classes that I'll be teaching and one of my topics that I've been given for the 10 weeks is something that is usually taught in 2-3 lesson at KS3. Added to it is the fact I've no scheme of work from the school to even look at the main stuff I should be hitting.
    I really hope it changes when I start school experience. I've worked my ass off to get onto the course but right at this minute, I could not give a damn about planning lessons etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Have found it hard to get going but hopefully I'll finish this one piece of work off tonight before planning my lesson tomorrow. Saturday and Sunday are going to be much more laid back days before returning to school on Monday.

(Original post by Shelly_x)
    You should spend only one or two days working during half term! Make the most of your time off, term time is hectic enough.
    Easier said than done really. I really should have just stayed focused for 2 days and got it all done rather than doing it bit by bit so far. Today however I should finish off what I need doing and have a nice relaxing night and the same tomorrow giving myself the weekend free. It's my own fault but you live and learn.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, i worked from 9 till 2 yesterday to finish my plan for mondays lesson, organise my evidence for my star doc and create a presentation on url and dns for uni next friday.
    This morning i started at half 8 and lost track of time until 1 this afternoon but managed to create a scheme of work for my year 7 class for the rest of term (incredibly chuffed) find some articles for my first uni assignment thats not due till after xmas, and print off what i need to do for my pshe certification to go through with my mentor, rewarded myself with takeout and now spending the afternoon watching chick flicks! Am loving half term now just for the amount of stuff ive managed to get done

ReputationRep:
    I've had 2 days of PE courses this half term so am happy to actually be able to get on with some work now. Currently sorting resources which is taking forever! I'm finding that planning itself isn't so time consuming - it's everything that comes with it (finding/creating resources for 5 separate ability groups...)!

ReputationRep:
    Going to finish off my paperwork now which will just leave me with the lesson plan to do tomorrow. I can do this!

ReputationRep:
    First day of placement on Monday! Does anyone have any tips? I've got a y2 class that I haven't met yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    First day of placement on Monday! Does anyone have any tips? I've got a y2 class that I haven't met yet.
    1. Accept that you will make mistakes as you are only human.

2. When those mistakes are picked upon and you receive criticism remember its not to hurt your feelings but to help you become better.

3. Look at other teachers and take bits of what you think might work but accept in the end you will be you as a teacher and your own style will develop.

4. In your spare time spend as much time using the school system as possible. Put together tracking sheets on the children (SEN, FSM, AF, Gifted, EAL), get your class photos printed off and put names to faces and get seating plans if there are any.

5. If you have time ask if you can spend time observing one of the pupils in your class who are EAL/SEN over an entire day across many subjects as you will then see how different teachers differentiate for these pupils to meet their needs.

6. Keep everything as organised as possible because if you don't this will come back to bite you later on when you have other things to be doing.

7. Open up slightly to your pupils but ensure that you remain professional. 'Do you like football? Yes. Who do you support? I don't support a particular team. Anyway, enough of football, how are you getting on with.........?'. Show them that you're human and enjoy the things they do but do not give them information they can use to dig deeper into you.

8. Ask about marking schemes and homework. How are these done in your specific school?

9. Go and meet staff in other areas of the school. You might not think much of it but the staff in other areas of the school are there for you around the clock - IT Support, Reception, Student Support, etc.

10. Ask about meetings and after school clubs. After school clubs are a great way to humanise yourself further with pupils in a professional environment and the majority of them will appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr CS)
    1. Accept that you will make mistakes as you are only human.

2. When those mistakes are picked upon and you receive criticism remember its not to hurt your feelings but to help you become better.

3. Look at other teachers and take bits of what you think might work but accept in the end you will be you as a teacher and your own style will develop.

4. In your spare time spend as much time using the school system as possible. Put together tracking sheets on the children (SEN, FSM, AF, Gifted, EAL), get your class photos printed off and put names to faces and get seating plans if there are any.

5. If you have time ask if you can spend time observing one of the pupils in your class who are EAL/SEN over an entire day across many subjects as you will then see how different teachers differentiate for these pupils to meet their needs.

6. Keep everything as organised as possible because if you don't this will come back to bite you later on when you have other things to be doing.

7. Open up slightly to your pupils but ensure that you remain professional. 'Do you like football? Yes. Who do you support? I don't support a particular team. Anyway, enough of football, how are you getting on with.........?'. Show them that you're human and enjoy the things they do but do not give them information they can use to dig deeper into you.

8. Ask about marking schemes and homework. How are these done in your specific school?

9. Go and meet staff in other areas of the school. You might not think much of it but the staff in other areas of the school are there for you around the clock - IT Support, Reception, Student Support, etc.

10. Ask about meetings and after school clubs. After school clubs are a great way to humanise yourself further with pupils in a professional environment and the majority of them will appreciate it.
    Thank you! Those are really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I feel this half term has been quite harmful to me... I just have zero motivation to go back to my placement and it's just rubbed in (even more) that I hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I feel this half term has been quite harmful to me... I just have zero motivation to go back to my placement and it's just rubbed in (even more) that I hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Grind it out. It'll be over soon. I didn't particularly enjoy my first one - 40+ minute commute and not having the most supportive of mentors didn't help - but I knew I'd be out at Xmas. And I was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.