Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    Hey, at least Reading is a place other people have heard of
    Yeah right, I bet know has heard of Collingbourne Ducis :rolleyes:

(Google it if you're nosy and see why I get so bored...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Yeah right, I bet know has heard of Collingbourne Ducis :rolleyes:

(Google it if you're nosy and see why I get so bored...)
    Your population is tiny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    Yeah, that's what I think. Only need to be concerned about my bicycle, really, and it should be fine as long as it's locked in college.
    This guy knows.

(Original post by dbmag9)
    *compiles list of optimists to rob first*
    :p: Surely it makes less sense to rob me? Without insurance, I'm more likely to keep track of my items, rather than someone who can rest assured that their items are covered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    :p: Surely it makes less sense to rob me? Without insurance, I'm more likely to keep track of my items, rather than someone who can rest assured that their items are covered.
    Yeah that occured to me. But meh, less fun to steal from people who'll just get paid for it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    Your population is tiny!
    Yeah, the only thing we have is a church and considering I'm not a big fan of religion it's pretty depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    I went to St Cuthbert's if you know it - in the west end of Newcastle. You?

Ah well, I liked Keble, shame to get moved along.
    Ah, don't think I do. I thought maybe I knew someone who went there, but a quick google search suggests I was wrong.

I think I'll like Keble too

ReputationRep:
    Non-continuously adjustable bow ties. I'm tempted to call it digital, but only as a counterpart to analogue.
    I think you mean it is a continuous bow tie (as opposed to a discrete bow tie)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that occured to me. But meh, less fun to steal from people who'll just get paid for it anyway.
    Harsh.

But I understand your reasoning.

Well then, to the death it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I think you mean it is a continuous bow tie (as opposed to a discrete bow tie)
    No, I mean that it's discrete, rather than continuous. Digital sounds more amusing though.

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean that it's discrete, rather than continuous. Digital sounds more amusing though.
    Oops of course. Indeed Lots of flashing lights... (not sure that's allowed for subfusc )

ReputationRep:
    Hey, really sorry about this but I'm a Year 13 prospective Oxford applicant looking for some advice on my personal statement. Are there any English Language & Literature students here that I could message? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    Hey, really sorry about this but I'm a Year 13 prospective Oxford applicant looking for some advice on my personal statement. Are there any English Language & Literature students here that I could message? Thanks
    Me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Oops of course. Indeed Lots of flashing lights... (not sure that's allowed for subfusc )
    Sadly it adjusts from 14" to 18", rather than from 'stun' to 'char'.

ReputationRep:
    For any current PPE'ists or anyone with an idea in general, am I going to have to spend much in terms of books? I'm already pretty deep into my overdraft due to getting all my stuff for uni, and spending more on books doesn't seem appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamF1992)
    For any current PPE'ists or anyone with an idea in general, am I going to have to spend much in terms of books? I'm already pretty deep into my overdraft due to getting all my stuff for uni, and spending more on books doesn't seem appealing.
    I spent a sum total of................. £10 (ish)

The only books I bought were the Logic Manual (£7 ish) and Mill's On Liberty (because I wanted to write in it).

The only other books most PPEists buy are the Economics textbooks.

But my college library was so well stocked that I could just use a copy from there (full term loans). Or you can use the SSL (Social Science Library), but the maximum loan is 7 days and I can't remember if the textbooks are only on short loan (2 days).

I'd personally hold fire on buying them. Firstly, there will be 2nd Years looking to offload textbooks. Ask on your college facebook group / college parents. Secondly, your tutor might decide which textbooks for Econ they want and you might not know which one that is yet. Plus you may not like the 'main' textbook, I didn't so it would've been a wasted buy from my point of view.

Logic Manual is definitely a good buy - you'd seriously struggle without it, it's cheap and you will be able to sell it on. But there should be 2nd years selling them on... I'd sell mine on but I think I've managed to lose it.

- excluding Economics, the reading lists for PPE will vary each essay. A few books may be used throughout each topic, i.e. in British Politics, so I just held onto those from the library. The SSL, Philosophy Library and college libraries are so well stocked. -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamF1992)

(Original post by Poppyxx)
    I spent a sum total of................. £10 (ish)

The only books I bought were the Logic Manual (£7 ish) and Mill's On Liberty (because I wanted to write in it).

The only other books most PPEists buy are the Economics textbooks.

. -
    Phew, those are the only 2 books I bought. Although, I'm finding the Manual pretty impossible at the minute. :/

Makes me feel a bit better about my faith in libraries!

(Incoming PPE, St Hugh's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperPatchKid)
    Phew, those are the only 2 books I bought. Although, I'm finding the Manual pretty impossible at the minute. :/

Makes me feel a bit better about my faith in libraries!

(Incoming PPE, St Hugh's)
    The Manual will make more sense when you've been to the lectures and start doing problem sets.

Saying that, I never really took to Logic and it did me no harm.

Libraries are great - just don't wait to long to get the Econ textbook you need, you'll probably find out which one it is in Freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppyxx)
    The Manual will make more sense when you've been to the lectures and start doing problem sets.
    If you don't mind my asking, did your logic classes tend to stick to the problems from the main exercise booklet or were there additional problem sets?

ReputationRep:
    It's much more fun stealing off somebody uninsured, because you know you may just ruin their life.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If someone is posting something to us at college, is the address just going to be:
    [Name]
    Exeter College
    Oxford
    OX1 3DP

?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.