Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths Tutor)
So you have nothing better to do with your waking life?
Plenty of things. But I like to multi task.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
5150 posts v 620 posts.

Do you consider 5150 to be 'like' 620?

So the matter of Scottish Independence is "fun" to the likes of you?
It has many humorous facets to it. Having to deal with over emotional navel gazers who don't understand how the world works does get a but tedious. By demolishing poorly thought out assumptions by cyberNats can get a little tedious, educating others about the ways of the world is most certainly enjoyable.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
5150 posts v 620 posts.

Do you consider 5150 to be 'like' 620?

So the matter of Scottish Independence is "fun" to the likes of you?
If I've made 5,000+ posts on independence then I've made more than every post on this thread. On UK politics perhaps.

Yes, its fun, its helping me get a better understanding of how people percieve politics and government and their workings.

I mean, I might lose my livihood over it, but other than that its fun.

What do you mean by 'the likes of me'? I'm guessing you don't think I'm a Scot unlike someone on another thread did.

Edit:
Also I've been here six years and you've been here two and a half.
Looking at your post history the 500+ you've done in UK Politics have been exclusively Scotland related, with the vast majority being about independence.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So currently the UK Westminster government takes Scotland and Northern England's economies into account when setting monetary policy?
I think the answer to that is obvious.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
I think the answer to that is obvious.
Yet he can't explain how westminsters economic policy is beneficial to the south. East to the detriment of elsewhere.

If you look at it the south east wants to lower taxes to promote economic growth which it can't do anymore as there's government spending that needs to Nepalis for, whilst north wants increased taxes to increase public spending.

The SNP have advocated tax cuts and increased public spending. Basically, the SNP is after access to a givernment credit card and overdraft.

So come on Maths Tutor, can you please explain to me how westminsters economic policy holds us back.
Choo.choo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Our share of the national debt is already included in the fiscal calculations, so the BT camp are scaremongering that tax will go up, expenditure will be cut, etc, in the event of independence.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Choo.choo)
Our share of the national debt is already included in the fiscal calculations, so the BT camp are scaremongering that tax will go up, expenditure will be cut, etc, in the event of independence.
It isn't really the BT campaign that are saying that. Independent observers are saying it and teh SNP is saying it in private.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee0..._u9m6vd74f.pdf
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh damn it, I was hoping you'd explain the transition/setup of a new Scotland.

Actually its related to what you've just said. Part of the question was about cost. The Scottish Parliament building cost approx £400m. How much would it cost to setup independent Govt departments and how might that be financed?

But the exam question is still how long will it take to create a Scottish benefits system (as an example).
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Oh damn it, I was hoping you'd explain the transition/setup of a new Scotland.

Actually its related to what you've just said. Part of the question was about cost. The Scottish Parliament building cost approx £400m. How much would it cost to setup independent Govt departments and how might that be financed?

But the exam question is still how long will it take to create a Scottish benefits system (as an example).
Alex Salmond is a smart man; I am sure he will have it all worked out.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
It isn't really the BT campaign that are saying that. Independent observers are saying it and teh SNP is saying it in private.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee0..._u9m6vd74f.pdf
You sound like Johann Lamont.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alex Salmond is a smart man; I am sure he will have it all worked out.
His answer to everything is oil and the Scottish Government figures on the Scottish deficit play up oil very heavily. He has openly lied to the public over so many issues, and misrepresented oil income so often that he can't be trusted to 'have it all worked out'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
His answer to everything is oil and the Scottish Government figures on the Scottish deficit play up oil very heavily. He has openly lied to the public over so many issues, and misrepresented oil income so often that he can't be trusted to 'have it all worked out'.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander, the oil is a bonus.
Salmond is marmite; you either love him or hate him, and clearly you hate him.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Midlander, the oil is a bonus.
Salmond is marmite; you either love him or hate him, and clearly you hate him.
The oil isn't a bonus. Salmond has staked everything on it and even then he's got it wrong.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
The oil isn't a bonus. Salmond has staked everything on it and even then he's got it wrong.
Why do you even bother to post on these threads? You talk absolute nonsense.
I suggest you find a new hobby; something more constructive to do with your time.
You mean Westminster has staked everything on the oil and have got it wrong; even Alistair Darling has admitted that the UK government has wasted this money.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[/B]

From the horse's mouth: Danny Alexander is scaremongering!

Has "the MPC in the Bank of England" said that "Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK"?

Provide a link if it has.
You're genuinely simple. As anyone with a single grain of understanding in this area knows, entering a currency union is not within the remit of the Bank of England.

The Chancellor has already said he sees it as extremely unlikely that such a currency union would be in the interests of the UK - the recent actions of the Scottish government have gone even further to entrench that position. There is no realistic possibility of it happening.

Scaremongering? I hope so. I'd be afraid if I thought Scotland would be a separate state. You should be too.

Rubbish. The case made is that a separate state would have different costs of governing itself, harm business and will be susceptible to the huge fluctuations of the commodities markets.

If the best you can do is call that 'scaremongering' then the people of Scotland have every right to fear people with your mindset getting anywhere near the fiscal levers of this nation.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You mean Westminster has staked everything on the oil and have got it wrong; even Alistair Darling has admitted that the UK government has wasted this money.
A straightforward lie.

As to the main point, MatureStudent is perfectly correct. The SNP have previously called this a 'bonus' - it isn't. It's what's keeping our heads almost above water when we're running a very large deficit. That's not true on a UK level, where it accounts for a small fraction of national income. On a Scottish level, it is very significant - and Salmond's plans clearly don't add up.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, in response to the job losses that the scaremonging BT camp are proposing in the event of independence, they did not know that an independent Scotland is proposing that an Arms Conversion Agency be established to oversee the creation of alternative employment.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
A straightforward lie.
Go and do some research before you respond to posts.
Alistair Darling has publicly admitted this.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
A straightforward lie.

As to the main point, MatureStudent is perfectly correct. The SNP have previously called this a 'bonus' - it isn't. It's what's keeping our heads almost above water when we're running a very large deficit. That's not true on a UK level, where it accounts for a small fraction of national income. On a Scottish level, it is very significant - and Salmond's plans clearly don't add up.
Alex Salmond is an economist; if you compare his background with that of George Osbourne, you will find out who should be trusted more with the economy.
And do not reply with your nonsense that it is George Osbourne. You are wrong.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, in response to the job losses that the scaremonging BT camp are proposing in the event of independence, they did not know that an independent Scotland is proposing that an Arms Conversion Agency be established to oversee the creation of alternative employment.
The SNP have promised many, many things. You're example is just another example. A few months ago it was a straightforward case of there would be no negative impact. Now you're saying that there's an Arms conversion Agency and yesterday Nicola Sturgeon was stating that the Admiralty work that keeps the Clyde going would carry on as usual. So what is it. No impact, or some impact?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
13.33%
They might tell the bully (2)
13.33%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
20%
It might lead to more bullying (4)
26.67%
There's nothing they could do (4)
26.67%

Watched Threads