Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Kroenke didn't invest his own cash into arsenal because we are a self sustaining top club, The money he invested in to arsenal is only the money he bought majority shares with. Surely a majority Shareholder will see a return on his investment when the club is sold on. Arsenal now is worth quite alot of cash, Kroenke will make a sizeable profit if he sells all his shares, Arsenal's value can only increase with the added success we will see in the future.

Will Roman Abramovich ever see a return from his £1.5 billion investment in Chelsea? Even if he sold Chelsea no one will buy it for £1 billion. Chelsea best pray they're self sustaining by the time Roman wants to sell.
    You make some really good points here. For me, Usmanov is an evil thing for the club and I can't stress enough how awful it would be for Arsenal if he were to own us over Kroenke. Kroenke can be frustrating with his silence but I would rather that then Usmanov who is very clever when he opens his fat mouth. For example, palling up with Thierry Henry and only speaking to the media to say how he'd make things better after games like Bradford etc - appealing to fans who want a quick fix rather than a long-term solution.

I've had to spoiler the next bit as it is quite long so people don't have to scroll unnecessarily through the page.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Kroenke is not greedy - he has never taken dividends out of the club. In case there was ever any doubt, he owns many sports clubs/franchises in America and has NEVER taken dividends out of any of them. He does not interfere with the club too much and that is something I like. For example, from next season ticket prices will not increase and youngsters can buy tickets at a much cheaper price. Gazidis even said in his latest Q&A session that Kroenke took things the AST (Arsenal Supporters Trust) into account when deciding things like ticket prices. When you look at other clubs too, it's clear that he takes action when he wants things to improve, for example he invested $70m into the Colorado Rapids he owns on a new stadium and youth pitches, the largest in the USA. I just think at the moment he is doing the right thing by not interfering too much - the stadium debt is managable and we have to pay a fixed amount every year so there's no point him intervening there. We've got incredible commercial deals coming up largely thanks to Gazidis who Kroenke employed, and because Kroenke understands that we want to be self-sufficient, there's little point him pumping money into Arsenal like Abromavich does - all it'd do is take us further away from where we want to be with self-sustainability and put further debt into the club. Kroenke also realises there's no better person at this point in time than Wenger to manage Arsenal and that's why he's still our manager. Even after Bradford, Wenger was not sacked and that is because we have a sensible owner. We were something like 7th or 8th in the league at that point and many fans were calling for his head so its good to know Kroenke isn't just a 'quick fix' person.

Usmanov on the other hand would take dividends out of the club. He has said his vision for Arsenal is for a big war chest to spend on quality players. Now, if FFP comes in, then unless we can increase our income, we simply cannot spend ridiculous amounts of money on players. He has also said his vision os for these players to be playing alongside homegrown players from the club. These are the two visions he has for the club. Now, he hasn't made any concrete promises about how he would make either of things happen, so I don't trust him because he is coming out with statements that fans WANT to hear and not saying how he would do these things. We would all love to have quality world class players and quality homegrown players but none of us know how Usmanov would go about these things. Plus, if Usmanov were to pump silly money into the club then the last 8 years without a trophy will have been all for nothing, seen as they were (mostly) a result of restricted funds and doing a marathon rather than a sprint with the aim of reaching self-sustainabiliy. Kroenke & Gazidis being at the club has meant 1/4billion will be injected into the club thanks to commercial deals, which will comply with FFP rules. Even if FFP never happens, it's surely a healthy way to run a football club anyway.

Kroenke is far from the perfect owner, of course. We still need to:
    1. Increase and improve our scouting system (we only have 2 - yes, 2! - scouts in London - Ajax have 50 just in their local area)
    2. Lower ticket prices - though this won't be done any time soon due to stadium debt and the fact there are 60k tickets sold for every game because of ST holders/businessmen who buy tickets and don't turn up, so the stadium has a better atmosphere. Maybe this is something that can be done in the future without stadium debt, but who knows.
    3. Increase our fanbase globally - we've already done this quite well (Gazidis has had a pretty good year so far), what with the increase of Arsenal presence in India and the Asia tour, but we need to keep this up, maybe in places like America which with Kroenke's reputation there is something we can do and I think we will, especially with the Emirates association too

I'm sure there are others too, but Kroenke is a far better owner than Usmanov would be, he is far more sensible for the long-term and isn't a threat to Arsenal with putting us in loads of debt. He's been proactive with his other clubs so when the right time comes I think he will be with Arsenal. He's not going to sell any of his shares to Usmanov (he's never sold of any of his shares with any of his clubs so why start now?) and he's made it clear he's sticking around for a long time.

People criticise Stan for not caring about Arsenal the football club rather than Arsenal PLC - for me, as long as he runs our club sensibly then I couldn't care less if he isn't a die-hard fan. He's here to make a profit, yes, but also to help the club make a profit, and that's what he should be doing. Usmanov claims to be a huge fan of Arsenal and goes to games a lot but if this quote from last September doesn't ring alarm bells that he's bad news then I don't know what will:
    “The season is beginning – we must close this discussion and support the club, coach and players. For now, we stay in Arsenal as shareholders as long as we don’t lose our love for this club. Now we wish it support and great victory.”
    A real 'fan' doesn't just "lose our love for the club". What bull****!

Finally, Kroenke being on the board is good because of how Wenger is. Arsene, undeniably, likes to have full control over everything and so Kroenke being in the backgrounds and only interfering (not much admittedly but hopefully more in the future) when necessary is good because of how much control Wenger likes to have over everything. Wenger has said he supports and respects the board and it's clear the feeling's mutual and will be for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Usmanov is also quite fat, so if he keeps coming to games then he will take up three seats instead of one, which means there's less seats for real fans to sit on. BOO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I'm just worrid that this theory is reliant on Szc definetly coming good in a few years time. And there's the possibility that he might not. And I'm not fully convinced by Julio Cesar.
    Yeah it is reliant on that. Whether that's gonna happen or not I don't know either, but it definitely seems like that's what Wenger believes right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I'm just worrid that this theory is reliant on Szc definetly coming good in a few years time. And there's the possibility that he might not. And I'm not fully convinced by Julio Cesar.
    You wouldn't want to bring a 5 time Serie A and champions league winner to Arsenal? Why? He's an amazing keeper and he still has 2-3 good years left in him. Szcz would learn a lot from him

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think this GeoffArsenal is legit?

I've started to question him because he has to much of a subjective opinion on his claims which makes me assume it's fabricated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EgyptianPanda)
    Does anyone think this GeoffArsenal is legit?

I've started to question him because he has to much of a subjective opinion on his claims which makes me assume it's fabricated.
    He's reliable and well informed. Got a mutual friend as such and yeah, he's spot on and knows his stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I beg to differ on this one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but he says what he gets told and nothing more. The man could just as easily not bother putting stuff up. Transfer stuff changes all the time and as soon as he gets one wrong, everyone's impression of him changes.

Obviously as well it is a believe it if you want to, and especially so when it is silly season when nothing is happening frustration can hit a high, but the man is only trying to help as best as he can.

Aside from Mr Bedingfield, and yes, that is his name by the way. 3 days until the fixture list gets announced. Who we thinking? Got a nasty feeling in my stomach we'll get landed with Stoke away !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someguy123456)
    You wouldn't want to bring a 5 time Serie A and champions league winner to Arsenal? Why? He's an amazing keeper and he still has 2-3 good years left in him. Szcz would learn a lot from him
    This is 2013 not 2008-2011........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    This is 2013 not 2008-2011........
    This is 2013, meaning Cesar is 33. Statistically speaking this is his "peak years" as a goalkeeper. We would be foolish in my eyes to let this slip by us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    This is 2013, meaning Cesar is 33. Statistically speaking this is his "peak years" as a goalkeeper. We would be foolish in my eyes to let this slip by us!
    No, meaning that he hasn't been as great as he was during the aforementioned periods. If he was as great as many think he is, he wouldn't b playing for QPR.

ReputationRep:
    I also think its important to bring in players that have experienced winning trophies at the highest level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    No, meaning that he hasn't been as great as he was during the aforementioned periods. If he was as great as many think he is, he wouldn't b playing for QPR.
    why dont you judge him on his performance rather than the fact that he played for QPR?

ReputationRep:
    What has he gotten wrong so far in this transfer window?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to us, Santi Cazorla is getting the play time he deserves with Spain I'm really happy for him! I hope he wins the Cup !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    A poor way to judge a player. Van der Saar played at Fulham for a while before he went to United.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someguy123456)
    why dont you judge him on his performance rather than the fact that he played for QPR?

(Original post by anonstudent1)
    A poor way to judge a player. Van der Saar played at Fulham for a while before he went to United.
    I also stated that he hasn't played well post 2011.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I also stated that he hasn't played well post 2011.......
    He hasn't played badly this year though. :confused: especially considering how exposed the defence have left him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    He hasn't played badly this year though. :confused: especially considering how exposed the defence have left him.
    He's not at a level good enough for us. It's really easy for keepers to look better than they are when they're playing for a **** team and continuously bombared with shots. And Cesar's forte is shot stopping- not exactly what we desperately want in a keeper This is just like when people said we should sign Shay Given. Just think about it this way, why was Wenger more focused on signing Llloric last summer when Cesar was available on the bosman?

ReputationRep:
    There's a reason why he was called up for Brazil again. Just saying.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.