Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I think Aph's refering to the voting review.

Surely they get a clean slate?
    That is my understanding, and I always remember it being that way.

Perhaps Birchington could clarify.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Into a seat which is under threat?
    I think Aph's refering to the voting review.

Surely they get a clean slate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My understanding is that the review is on the seat not the person. Because otherwise if a party was about to lose a seat they could quickly add a random member to vote for one bill and keep the seat
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    My understanding is that the review is on the seat not the person. Because otherwise if a party was about to lose a seat they could quickly add a random member to vote for one bill and keep the seat
    The review is on the person, and has always been on the person.

Yes, that has happened before, new MPs being appointed at the last minute, days before they would go to by-election. (Don't forget seats are only flagged up in the first voting review, they don't go to by-election until the second one.)
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    If this is the case, I'd propose an amendment where the new member is given an amount of time to get the seat into a safe zone (75% perhaps)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The review is on the person, and has always been on the person.

Yes, that has happened before, new MPs being appointed at the last minute, days before they would go to by-election. (Don't forget seats are only flagged up in the first voting review, they don't go to by-election until the second one.)
    Well as I said it was my understanding that it was on the seat. And if it isn't that isn't right. I will wait for birch to clarify
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I forget which it is myself but it should be on the seat ideally to prevent parachute drops every month. The new MP (assuming they did it close to the review time) would still have a month in which they could average 60% anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    If this is the case, I'd propose an amendment where the new member is given an amount of time to get the seat into a safe zone (75% perhaps)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally my attitude would be more like "the party one the seat, if the old person didn't vote the party should've replaced them sooner." It should be on the seat not the person
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Personally my attitude would be more like "the party one the seat, if the old person didn't vote the party should've replaced them sooner." It should be on the seat not the person
    Well, those parties who like to do this democratically are at an inherent disadvantage. Surely parties should be encouraged to do things democratically, give chances to new members etc. without being unduly penalised for it?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well, those parties who like to do this democratically are at an inherent disadvantage. Surely parties should be encouraged to do things democratically, give chances to new members etc. without being unduly penalised for it?
    We do things democratically but I would say that these accounts that were axed should've gone when inner temple went. If the party didn't have the activity it's the parties fault
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    We do things democratically but I would say that these accounts that were axed should've gone when inner temple went. If the party didn't have the activity it's the parties fault
    InnerTemple stepped in at the last minute on a temporary basis, and was removed immediately when an alternative candidate stepped forward. The other two were permanent MPs so underwent VoNCs first, after a period of us trying to get in contact with them (what I mean by giving chances to new members).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    InnerTemple stepped in at the last minute on a temporary basis, and was removed immediately when an alternative candidate stepped forward. The other two were permanent MPs so underwent VoNCs first, after a period of us trying to get in contact with them (what I mean by giving chances to new members).
    It took you over a moth to replace them in which time they didn't vote once. And to make things worse TLE is meant to be friends with one of them IRL!!!
    I'm all for democracy but they were wasted seats and if the new MP's are good then as rakas said there will be no issue with them getting their voting up to scratch.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    It took you over a moth to replace them in which time they didn't vote once. And to make things worse TLE is meant to be friends with one of them IRL!!!
    I'm all for democracy but they were wasted seats and if the new MP's are good then as rakas said there will be no issue with them getting their voting up to scratch.
    And I'm sure they will be from the activity levels during their election.

My question is why they should be immediately slapped with the burden of a 0% voting seat.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    And I'm sure they will be from the activity levels during their election.

My question is why they should be immediately slapped with the burden of a 0% voting seat.
    ??

Because otherwise every review or second review you can just add a new MP who then doesn't do a thing. If they are good MP's then they needn't worry, if they aren't then they should lose their seat anyway and it gives a seat to someone who would actually use it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Because otherwise every review or second review you can just add a new MP who then doesn't do a thing. If they are good MP's then they needn't worry, if they aren't then they should lose their seat anyway and it gives a seat to someone who would actually use it
    There isn't really a risk of that as there are only a finite number of members and we have 15 seats to fill.

It is slightly ironic that a Green is complaining - your party were lucky that no regular voting reviews happened last term.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Congratulations to the new MPs.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    There isn't really a risk of that as there are only a finite number of members and we have 15 seats to fill.

It is slightly ironic that a Green is complaining - your party were lucky that no regular voting reviews happened last term.
    It is the principal, just because you are a larger party doesn't mean you can get away with it.

I would've welcomed them last term. And it isn't my fault that they didn't happen. But that's just getting petty
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    It is the principal, just because you are a larger party doesn't mean you can get away with it.

I would've welcomed them last term. And it isn't my fault that they didn't happen. But that's just getting petty
    And if we were a smaller party it would be easier to manage voting and we would be able to be more picky. Politcal wizard and Stickman would never have got seats last term.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    And if we were a smaller party it would be easier to manage voting and we would be able to be more picky. Politcal wizard and Stickman would never have got seats last term.
    And that's your issue. If you aren't using your seats no matter who's name is on them you don't deserve them. It should be about how the seat votes and not how the person votes
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    And that's your issue. If you aren't using your seats no matter who's name is on them you don't deserve them. It should be about how the seat votes and not how the person votes
    Why don't we deserve them? The electorate voted Labour so they should get Labour. It sounds like sour grapes really.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Why don't we deserve them? The electorate voted Labour so they should get Labour. It sounds like sour grapes really.
    Because labour didn't promise to only not take up all their seats, I take it that you fundamentally disagree with by-elections too then?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.