Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Why has Wenger gone off Flamini anyway? Start of last season he was really dynamite but after Xmas AW just seemed to lose faith, or at least he refuses to drop Arteta for him. Flamini is a much much better prtner for Ramsey than MA.
    Honestly think Wenger got pissed at the number of suspensions he got, thought it would be more risky having someone as hot headed as flamini in the middle when arteta was a safer option.

I also think Wenger will never buy a pure DM, reckon he would go for a DLP or ball winning CM mould tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I think too many people have in mind that this is supposed to be Arsenal's make or break season. That's absolute *******s. Our window so far stands at around 6/10 unless we end up getting a solid DMF it'd go up to 7/10. Our squad is still quite the distance away from the likes of Chelsea's and City's it's not even comparable. I'd say Arsenal are still in a transitional period as we've only just signed this PUMA deal and the club has only just started to sign these big players (Ozil, Sanchez). There's definitely more to come in the future over a long period so don't expect us to change from big game bottlers to title winning favourites in one window. Wenger has 3 years left at Arsenal and I can see him leaving the team in a very good position, and also leaving behind minimal work for the next manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Not really. He's a box to box midfielder and is great defensively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I get that, but he would be more useful if he stuck to attacking imo. If you just told him to focus on breaking the opposition down I think we'd see some crazy **** from him.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, Wenger is over loyal. Sometimes it pays like with Rambo, RVP etc but then you have Arteta, Almunia, Senderos situations. And Arteta is the model professional, and seems to really get on well with Wenger personally so it's one of those really.

Why has Wenger gone off Flamini anyway? Start of last season he was really dynamite but after Xmas AW just seemed to lose faith, or at least he refuses to drop Arteta for him. Flamini is a much much better prtner for Ramsey than MA.

I really hope Diaby somehow finds fitness, maybe Chamers can play DM?
    I really do not understand the fixation with Arteta. I find him even a fair bit more out of place in this team than Giroud. I complain about Giroud soemtimes, but he is a player that belongs in this team. Not as the sensational main striker at a club like Arsenal, but certainly as a secondary striker. He is Arsenal quality.
    Arteta though, now, is not Arsenal quality. He reminds me of Michael Carrick in a way, they are very similar players. Both fair weather, both not up to the big games. Only difference is, even Michael Carrick is not going to be getting United games anymore. And Michael Carrick is certainly not the captain of a great club.

Agree with the Flamini point, it really does baffle me.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus you lot need to cheer up. Imagine being a United fan right now and needing about 4 quality players to come in not 1.

Anyway Costa will get injured and Torres will have to play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    Jesus you lot need to cheer up. Imagine being a United fan right now and needing about 4 quality players to come in not 1.

Drogba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Not really. He's a box to box midfielder and is great defensively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah he made more tackles per 90 mins than yaya Toure last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I think too many people have in mind that this is supposed to be Arsenal's make or break season. That's absolute *******s. Our window so far stands at around 6/10 unless we end up getting a solid DMF it'd go up to 7/10. Our squad is still quite the distance away from the likes of Chelsea's and City's it's not even comparable. I'd say Arsenal are still in a transitional period as we've only just signed this PUMA deal and the club has only just started to sign these big players (Ozil, Sanchez). There's definitely more to come in the future over a long period so don't expect us to change from big game bottlers to title winning favourites in one window. Wenger has 3 years left at Arsenal and I can see him leaving the team in a very good position, and also leaving behind minimal work for the next manager.
    We have not really gotten (much) stronger apart from Alexis. We have replaced Sagna with Debuchy. Replaced Fabianski with Ospina. Replaced TV5 with Chambers (as of the present time).

So, apart from with Sanchez... where have we actually strengthened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)

That's it. :sexface:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Me and Hayles went out for a Nandos. I am slowly converting her to the ways of the Arsenal. This post shows progress, she is a quick learner. I will buy her a whole chicken next time for her good behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    We have not really gotten (much) stronger apart from Alexis. We have replaced Sagna with Debuchy. Replaced Fabianski with Ospina. Replaced TV5 with Chambers (as of the present time).

Have to agree really, although I think Chambers might turn out to be a terrific long term deal tbf. Really unhappy with Debuchy in all honesty, think that's a proper downgrade from Sagna.

On the other hand, Walcott genuinely is like a new signing and a full season from Ramsey will be worth 5 points imo.

ReputationRep:
    That's it. :sexface:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Me and Hayles went out for a Nandos. I am slowly converting her to the ways of the Arsenal. This post shows progress, she is a quick learner. I will buy her a whole chicken next time for her good behaviour.
    heard eboracum is already tappin it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Nonsense. There no excuses for us this season, in the last 2 years our best players have been tied down on long term contracts, no key players have left, we have money, we have spent big money and our debt is manageable.

We can't hide behind the word transition anymore after we lead the League for most of the last season "but for injuries" people say heck we've brought in a world renown fitness coach to deal with that. We need to re-establish our presence and our status in English football by winning the league. FA cup is all well and good but The league is the most important. 11 years mate is far too long.

I'll reserve judgement on the transfer window after it closes. We're not that far away for Chelsea and City, I'm sure AW will bring the right players.

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree really, although I think Chambers might turn out to be a terrific long term deal tbf. Really unhappy with Debuchy in all honesty, think that's a proper downgrade from Sagna.

On the other hand, Walcott genuinely is like a new signing and a full season from Ramsey will be worth 5 points imo.
    Chambers will be here for at least the next ten years. He'll be part of the furniture soon enough.

Never rated Debuchy personally. And Sagna was on the way down too. So, lose/lose there. Debuchy is good enough going forward but defensively I find him to be really non dominant. I just find that he may just be a real weak link from set pieces and also general play. When he was playing for Newcastle the same gaps were there. He does not cover the ground behind him well enough. I think him, not Chambers, will cost us points this season.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get that, but he would be more useful if he stuck to attacking imo. If you just told him to focus on breaking the opposition down I think we'd see some crazy **** from him.
    His work rate is one of his best aspects. Imo he's got good spacial awareness which means when attacking he can get in the right positions. Defending this won't affect this due to his stamina.

(Original post by barneystin)
    Yeah he made more tackles per 90 mins than yaya Toure last season.
    Yaya toure isnt really the best comparison due to how he has practically no defensive work rate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    heard eboracum is already tappin it
    Nah mate, he's just keeping her warm for me.

ReputationRep:
    So, it seems as though this is how it'll end up in may, in terms of the top 4

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408394782.699635.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  171.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Honestly hurts to see Cesc in blue. :sad:
    Better get used to it mate.

ReputationRep:

In fairness the Debucy and Chambers signings have been solid and I would say they're both improvements on what he had last season. Sagna was overrated imo and only started to have a good performance last season but Debuchy looks much more potent going forward already even though he's only been here for a few weeks. Chambers was also a great signing and you start to wonder whether UTD actually signed the right defender from Southampton. Chambers has the potential to overtake Vermaelen very quickly even if he isn't there yet. Ospina is also the perfect back up to have right now.

If we were asked a month prior to the world cup if we wanted Sanchez over a striker I'm sure the majority would have said no. Sanchez is a good player and a good signing none the less but he's really just an upgrade on Cazorla (which was needed as I don't want to see Cazorla and Ozil start a single match next season). We're still lacking a striker (though Giroud isn't the worst option to have). He's quite the step down in quality however when you have Ozil Sanchez and Walcott all behind him.

People are already starting to warm around Arteta just because we've tried 4-1-4-1 in a few friendlies. It'll be interesting to see how he does against Everton this weekend..

We've added more depth to the squad which was needed imo. I don't know if we've strengthened enough to be known as title contenders though but it will happen in a window or two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barneystin)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

you watching titanic tonight brah?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.