Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
I don't know if anyone has had to come off Efexor before. Has anyone? I just have this constant pain and noise in my ear, it makes it really hard to think/listen to people for any length of time. It irks me.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vapid slut magician)
ugh randomly wandered in to a 'cutest girl on tsr' thread in chat and found people ****ging me off (put a picture up last week for the first time in 2 years so people at uni could recognize me). totally want to hang myself now. why do people feel the need to comment on your looks when you never asked for their opinion? it's not like the way i look defines me. i feel massively self conscious about going out tonight now.
This person/these people have really made my blood boil. They have no right to talk about you like that. Take no notice, they are just talking out of their fat arses. Stupid *****. I don't know if you went out... if you didn't, I'm sorry they got to you that much. I'd prob be the same if I were in your position but I'd quickly try to forget about it. Some guy more or less told me he dislikes me but I'm not going to dwell on one person's opinion. He's a ****, anyway. I bet whoever was talking about you is similar to this person.
jonathan122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi Laus, how are you? :jumphug:
Laus
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)
Hi Laus, how are you? :jumphug:
Not so good tonight... How are you?

Thanks for the hug :hugs:
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm getting by, only 12 days till the end of term.

Sorry you're feeling so bad. Are you getting any help apart from the medication at the moment?
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
This person/these people have really made my blood boil. They have no right to talk about you like that. Take no notice, they are just talking out of their fat arses. Stupid *****. I don't know if you went out... if you didn't, I'm sorry they got to you that much. I'd prob be the same if I were in your position but I'd quickly try to forget about it. Some guy more or less told me he dislikes me but I'm not going to dwell on one person's opinion. He's a ****, anyway. I bet whoever was talking about you is similar to this person.
today someone essentially told me i was fine for having sex with but not really good enough to date because i wasnt posh enough or had the right 'look'. i love that you can read classics at trinity college cambridge and shop in jack wills and ralph lauren, play sport for the uni, use a posh accent, read a masters at oxford... and still not be good enough for people. all because my parents decided not to send me to a private school because i always achieved well at my local comp.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
I'm getting by, only 12 days till the end of term.

Sorry you're feeling so bad. Are you getting any help apart from the medication at the moment?
I am coming off the medication. I wish I never went on it in the first place. It changed my character completely and it made me feel more suicidal than before I went on it. Though I appreciate that it has helped some people, I really hate it (probably more so because coming off it has been so hard).

I am at home, for a few reasons. I will go back next week some. We break up on the 17th of December. 12 days will fly by, you'll see. Do you feel as though the medication is helping you?
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
I am coming off the medication. I wish I never went on it in the first place. It changed my character completely and it made me feel more suicidal than before I went on it. Though I appreciate that it has helped some people, I really hate it (probably more so because coming off it has been so hard).

I am at home, for a few reasons. I will go back next week some. We break up on the 17th of December. 12 days will fly by, you'll see. Do you feel as though the medication is helping you?
It's helping as much as it can. What it can't do is make everyone start talking to me again.

I'm sorry I haven't been around to help everyone as much as I would have wanted to this term, but I've been finding it a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Laus, are you getting any therapy at all?
Laus
Report 10 years ago
It's helping as much as it can. What it can't do is make everyone start talking to me again.

I'm sorry I haven't been around to help everyone as much as I would have wanted to this term, but I've been finding it a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Laus, are you getting any therapy at all?
You will make friends, I promise. I have been having similar problems with making friends, but I know I'm bound to bond with at least a few people over the next year or so.

Don't apologise. I haven't been posting in the dep soc half as much as I'd like to, either. And, when I have been around, I haven't been positive or uplifting. So, if anyone should be apologising, it should be me! I'm sorry you are finding things so hard. At least you're trying, which is a lot.

I'm having a counselling session on Friday and, if I go back for Thurs, I'm going to push to see a psychiatrist ASAP, though the waiting list will probably be long. Are you seeing anyone?
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a mentor who I see twice a week, which is a big help for me.

I really hope things start to get better for you after you're off the medication. I don't understand why such bad things can happen to such nice people.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
I have a mentor who I see twice a week, which is a big help for me.

I really hope things start to get better for you after you're off the medication. I don't understand why such bad things can happen to such nice people.
I have been off it for a few days, but I still feel God awful. I don't think it's out of my system. I'm not a nice person, really. I don't feel like one, anyway. But I know what you mean. I think you're lovely, and I wish things could be better for you.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
I have been off it for a few days, but I still feel God awful. I don't think it's out of my system. I'm not a nice person, really. I don't feel like one, anyway. But I know what you mean. I think you're lovely, and I wish things could be better for you.
:hugs:
Laus
Report 10 years ago
:jumphug: :hugs:

When I go back, I'll send you my room number (via FB, as my inbox is full), and you can give us a buzz if you ever feel lonely. I don't know about you, but I lock myself in my room when I feel low. So it's probably best to talk to someone. Or you could write, if you fancied writing. This goes for anyone in the dep soc, but thought I'd just mention it to you, as I know you've had a hard time settling in and stuff. Big hugs xx
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
I don't know if anyone has had to come off Efexor before. Has anyone? I just have this constant pain and noise in my ear, it makes it really hard to think/listen to people for any length of time. It irks me.
Yes, I experienced this when I attempted to come off venlafaxine, and numerous other side effects. I had to go back on my full dose and then taper the dose gradually over a number of months. Some people find it useful to switch to fluoxetine for a few days when you get below 75mg a day to soften the blow, as it were. It has few discontinuation effects because of its long half-life.
Laus
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lskdgjsj)
Yes, I experienced this when I attempted to come off venlafaxine, and numerous other side effects. I had to go back on my full dose and then taper the dose gradually over a number of months. Some people find it useful to switch to fluoxetine for a few days when you get below 75mg a day to soften the blow, as it were. It has few discontinuation effects because of its long half-life.
I asked my doctor about switching to fluoxetine, but he thought it would be pointless as I would then have to come off that, too. I don't think he quite understood how much I was struggling. He seemed to think that, since I had been off it for 2-3 days, that it would be completely out of my system. But it obviously isn't, as I feel much the same! I'm not sure what else to suggest, as he was set against going on fluoxetine for a week or two. Valium is out of the question, as he thinks my body became dependent on it. I think it's stupid to give someone something without ensuring that you can help them to come off it afterwards. Thanks for your advice, though. Do you have any natural suggestions or other drugs that might help? I am hoping things will go back to normal soon... whatever that is. It is so tempting to go back on to 75mg again, but I don't think I'd want to start at 300mg and taper off like you did, as I don't want to feel like I did when I was on it (apathetic and suicidal, mainly). It helped with my anxiety but it made everything else worse.
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
. Do you have any natural suggestions or other drugs that might help? I am hoping things will go back to normal soon... whatever that is. It is so tempting to go back on to 75mg again, but I don't think I'd want to start at 300mg and taper off like you did, as I don't want to feel like I did when I was on it (apathetic and suicidal, mainly). It helped with my anxiety but it made everything else worse.
Did you go straight from 75mg to nothing or did you go down to the 37.5mg instant release tablets for a while? Were you on modified release or instant? Some people use pill cutters to cut the 37.5mg pill in half and take that for a while. Perhaps go from 75mg to zero over a month, going down by 18.75mg a week using a pill cutter. From what I've read the effects of venlafaxine discontinuation often persist for weeks or even months after the drug has cleared your system. Even paroxetine isn't as bad, and it's fairly hellish.

Opinions seem to be divided about using fluoxetine to come off venlafaxine. I've come off fluoxetine twice and experienced no withdrawal effects because of the long half-life. At the same time, fluoxetine didn't do an enormous amount for me when coming off venlafaxine.

I haven't found any natural supplements that do anything, unfortunately. I've tried passiflora and valerian but they seemed next to useless. I do find that high strength fish oil supplements improve my mood and concentration, but they'd do little to ameliorate drug discontinuation.
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the clock's still ticking on my impending homelessness, it seems. wicked.
also match almost every symptom of major depression as per the good old Wikipedia. there's a confidence boost thank god i've still got some close friends.
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pocket Calculator)
the clock's still ticking on my impending homelessness, it seems. wicked.
also match almost every symptom of major depression as per the good old Wikipedia. there's a confidence boost thank god i've still got some close friends.
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:bawling: couldn't get up this morning, missed my lecture, didn't care as i'm leaving anyway, then my mum rings, she's gone and bloody stuck her nose in it again and rung the university which really wasn't necessary cos i know what to do and now she's making me go and see all these people and i knew what i had to do anyway. grr.

feet hurt, hands are swollen and i'm scared of having to go back home. plus mum's got these different figures to me which say i'm £8,000 in debt when I only thought I was £6,000. She won't listen to me and look at the paperwork I gave her because on no, mr university man has to be right doesn't he, even though i have different figures from the student loan company...i'd think they'd be right wouldn't they??? grr.

right...got to have a shower and get stuff sorted. mum wanted me to go straight away but im not even dressed. no doubt she'll be phoning me again in an hour to make sure it's all sorted. grrr! don't want to have to go back to a stupid meddling mother who frustrates me so much! but i have no choice
starchild
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Soo i was mocked at boots yesterday, I wont say more because it hurts a bit. One of the staff just played a joke. Im not coping with work and i dont know whats going on inside my head.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads