Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It takes a couple of years of not seeing it to appreciate what a truly brilliant film Forrest Gump is. An absolutely spectacular work of art.
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Several reasons. Firstly it's a properly actor-driven film - few props, few distractions, just one man in a tight set for the most part. And by all accounts he seems to have put in a terrific performance. Also, the opportunity is there; winning an Oscar is as much about marketing as it is acting. If Franco's now hosting it he's already going to be at the forefront of everyone's mind, whereas when Jeff Bridges would need to be promoting True Grit he's going to be tied up with Disney. Colin Firth is still too quaint and English to be seriously considered. Depending on how The Fighter reviews, I think Mark Wahlberg could very well be Franco's biggest competition.

It's going to be awesome seeing Daft Punk collect their Oscar next year.
Yeah, good points. I'm not saying he shouldn't win it, because in the trailers it seems he has put in a good performance, but that's the thing with trailers, they only show the best parts; the rest of the film could be terrible. I doubt that will be the case though. I don't think Jeff Bridges will get an Oscar for a second year running. Tbh, he would probably be very happy that the Academy have decided to nominate him again.

I hope The Academy don't decide to be all snooty because it's Daft Punk (despite them being the coolest and most pioneering of the whole electronic/dance music genre). They have hired a 90 piece orchestra, and the only pieces we've really heard are the more electronic/fast paced music. Will be interesting to see how they've slot the classical music in with synthesizers and drum machines etc.

I bet they'll both be wearing gold jackets and trousers with two gold helmets (both having different designs of course) when they step up to the stage for the Oscar. :awesome:
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
Anyone going to see Catfish? Looks interesting, apparently the ending is quite shocking and disturbing:

And there's a big debate over if the film is a hoax or a real documentary.
Roobsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
Anyone going to see Catfish? Looks interesting, apparently the ending is quite shocking and disturbing:

Spoiler:
Show
It's out in all unreputable sources on the internet. I will be watching it tonight.
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
:lolwut:

The Tron Legacy soundtrack is up on Spotify and only has 5 songs. It's also a Spotify Premium only:

http://open.spotify.com/album/32fbjlxFMaKrAtj1lLNpgv

21 minute preview is here: http://www.myspace.com/hollywoodreco...ard_album_tron

Must be quite a long album after all. :p:

Plus, it sounds so so good. :coma:
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe it's a bit too early to predict nominations for the Oscars, but for Best Picture, three possible ones could be Inception, True Grit and 127 Hours? :awesome:
Black Swan and The Fighter are yet to be released and I have high hopes for them. :yes:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, good points. I'm not saying he shouldn't win it, because in the trailers it seems he has put in a good performance, but that's the thing with trailers, they only show the best parts; the rest of the film could be terrible. I doubt that will be the case though. I don't think Jeff Bridges will get an Oscar for a second year running. Tbh, he would probably be very happy that the Academy have decided to nominate him again.

I hope The Academy don't decide to be all snooty because it's Daft Punk (despite them being the coolest and most pioneering of the whole electronic/dance music genre). They have hired a 90 piece orchestra, and the only pieces we've really heard are the more electronic/fast paced music. Will be interesting to see how they've slot the classical music in with synthesizers and drum machines etc.

I bet they'll both be wearing gold jackets and trousers with two gold helmets (both having different designs of course) when they step up to the stage for the Oscar. :awesome:
Yeah, and it seems to have reviewed phenomenally well in America as well so I guess that will be wrapped up. Of course, Jeff Bridges might be up in Supporting Actor as well if T:L is as deep as some are suggesting... :teeth:

Yeah, I'm worried the Academy might snub Daft Punk too. They snubbed the first Tron as well so there's a track record. One hopes they won't though.

Looks really intriguing, I'm looking forwards to seeing it when I go home. Trying not to read anything about it at the minute though. :p:
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, and it seems to have reviewed phenomenally well in America as well so I guess that will be wrapped up. Of course, Jeff Bridges might be up in Supporting Actor as well if T:L is as deep as some are suggesting... :teeth:

Yeah, I'm worried the Academy might snub Daft Punk too. They snubbed the first Tron as well so there's a track record. One hopes they won't though.

Looks really intriguing, I'm looking forwards to seeing it when I go home. Trying not to read anything about it at the minute though. :p:
Hm, can't wait to see it now. Christmas time is the time of the year where I don't give a **** if it has a crap story and only indulge myself in the special effects. Avatar was that movie for me last year, Tron could possibly be that movie this year. It may have an awesome story though.

I've posted a link to a 21 minute preview of the soundtrack. It sounds awesome, I don't think they will after all. :awesome:

Morgan Spurlock went up to the guys after the premier and called it the best fake documentary he has ever seen. :p:

They tried to tell him it wasn't fake.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hm, can't wait to see it now. Christmas time is the time of the year where I don't give a **** if it has a crap story and only indulge myself in the special effects. Avatar was that movie for me last year, Tron could possibly be that movie this year. It may have an awesome story though.

I've posted a link to a 21 minute preview of the soundtrack. It sounds awesome, I don't think they will after all. :awesome:

Morgan Spurlock went up to the guys after the premier and called it the best fake documentary he has ever seen. :p:

They tried to tell him it wasn't fake.
Tron is going to have a great storyline. I hope... It certainly has the potential with the pedigree and talent working on it. Special effects are going to be better than Avatar as well I think, it's going to look phenomenal in IMAX 3D.

I heard they got interrogated about whether it was fake or not pretty harshly at Sundance and stood up to it all.
Madjackismad
Report 8 years ago
Tron is going to have a great storyline. I hope... It certainly has the potential with the pedigree and talent working on it. Special effects are going to be better than Avatar as well I think, it's going to look phenomenal in IMAX 3D.

I heard they got interrogated about whether it was fake or not pretty harshly at Sundance and stood up to it all.
Yeah, if it does, then it will be such an awesome movie. :coma: If it doesn't, well the special effects will make it awesome. I don't get why Avatar has received so much criticism from people on this, I mean, seriously, did people think a film with blue aliens was going to have a story worthy of Pinter? The frequent pauses highlighting the tension between the Na'vi and the humans with subtle power struggles? No, I think not. I went to see it for the special effects alone, and that's what the film does the best, it showcased a new era in special effects. Hopefully Tron will be the continuation of that with a good story as well.

I guess the fact that there's so much debate over it means that the guys who made it have done their job.
Christien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just finished watching The King of Comedy. It's genuinely Scorsese's best film. This means I agree with Mark Kermode on something. FMFL.
samanthaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

It certainly does look interesting, the final minute of the trailer has got me more intrigued about it.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Expectations:

Reality:

Inception:

Ape Gone Insane
x
Playing Fallout, by any chance? :holmes:

(Original post by Dancing Phalanges)
What did you think of it?
Really enjoyed it. Depp and his character was :coma: in it, visually "stunning" with a good story. It reminded me of Road to Perdition a bit. Actually it was very similar to another movie I have seen...can't quite put a finger of the name...

Thanks for the recommendation + Jacques.

(Original post by Christien)
This means I agree with Mark Kermode on something. FMFL.
Just started listening to his podcast (Phalanges mentioned it). I think unknownking321 has also started. Enjoyable podcast.
Roobsa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Restrepo is ****ing incredible. Some extremely powerful images and some very emotional interviews. Not even ashamed to say it but one bit did make me cry.
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Watching The Departed, what an opening track.

edit: If I had any sense I'd watch this tomorrow...but the occupation of the great hall calls!
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by turbo64)
I've just watched 28 days later. It such a masterpiece; one of Danny Boyle's finest.

Hi guys, new to this thread!
Welcome to the thread!

It is a good film. Running zombies though... :afraid: What other films have you recently watched/liked?

You best be in here posting regularly. :p:
turbo64
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Welcome to the thread!

It is a good film. Running zombies though... :afraid: What other films have you recently watched/liked?

You best be in here posting regularly. :p:
Hi there!

Another one recently was Drag me to Hell, it was a bad film, but hilarious!

What about you, any good films lately?

I will be posting a lot more in this thread!
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by turbo64)
Hi there!

Another one recently was Drag me to Hell, it was a bad film, but hilarious!

What about you, any good films lately?

I will be posting a lot more in this thread!
Hilarious huh? That's what my friend said it was as well. I haven't watched it either. Horror movies and me don't meld well. Not after The Blair Witch Project... :afraid:

Films recently; Public Enemies (was good, I like periodic films), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (was okay but Part 2 is the one I am looking forward to), A Christmas Carol (feel asleep), Due Date (mildly funny), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (bad film).

As of late, favourite films have been Inception and the Social Network. Looking forward to Tron after all the hype in this thread though ... :awesome:
turbo64
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It takes a couple of years of not seeing it to appreciate what a truly brilliant film Forrest Gump is. An absolutely spectacular work of art.
Yep. It's up there with my favourite movies of all time. To be fair, most Tom Hanks movies are up there in top few films I like. Better still is "Catch me if you can", with Leo DiCaprio.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads