Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And that is it. We have entered the last day of half term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr CS)

Gotta make the most of it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, how depressing is that! Its flown by, now the 7 week slog to the end of this placement. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying this, but on the last day of the placement all I can think about is how it'd be nice to have another week off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr CS)
    What half term? some of us were in uni this week!

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to going back. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love another week off with my family, but still happy that I've got all I've needed to do this half term done.
    Just took my youngest daughter to a birthday party and sat on my own reading articles for my assignment while enviously watching the other mums chat! But needs must.
    It's a teacher training day tomorrow, so not back teaching until Tuesday. I'm being observed on Wednesday for a literacy lesson which I'm slightly nervous about but I feel I have prepared as much as I can for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    What half term? some of us were in uni this week!
    Some of us were working from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I feel this half term has been quite harmful to me... I just have zero motivation to go back to my placement and it's just rubbed in (even more) that I hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am the same - my school is lovely and the support is great, but I have no desire to go back to the IOW, away from my friends, family and partner. I have to spend tonight travelling and Friday night travelling back here again, then the daily commute is 45 mins each way too. I have no motivation to start that process again.

The children in my class are keeping me going at the moment, they deserve great opportunities with someone who really cares, and I feel like I can help towards that.

As people have said though, seven weeks and it's done. Just keep going,I am xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although I've enjoyed half term its going to be nice to get back into a structured way of doing things.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit, knowing that I be officially observed pretty much every week now and scored has made me a tad nervous of this next term. I'm dreading finding out that I'm only teaching at 4 when i kind of hope Im atleast a 3

ReputationRep:
    Feels strange being up so early again.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've had a day at uni today and I'm so glad to be in the group who would rather be in school. Back on placement again tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. Starting to struggle for starters though. We're still working in the same kinds of things we were doing 2 lessons ago so it's hard to avoid repetition. We've done posts-its and a q&a so far but not sure what to do this week with my year 7s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, what would you recommend?
    Uni based PGCE or school direct based PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had my first proper post lesson cry today. Y7 lesson just went terribly, mentor said i hadnt done proper AFL and talked too much, and at the end the kids still hadnt got the hang of formulas in spreadsheets, feeling kind of gutted and kind of like I failed but i get that we just have lessons like that. Live and learn and hopefully next weeks lesson will be better

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I had the worst lesson ever today. The kids just didn't have a clue what I was trying to do and it didn't work at all. I really need to turn things around for them next lesson and get back on track. I felt so crappy afterwards. Just when you know you've done a rubbish lesson and you can't get it out of your mind

ReputationRep:
    Here here fairy, feel your pain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Had my first proper post lesson cry today. Y7 lesson just went terribly, mentor said i hadnt done proper AFL and talked too much, and at the end the kids still hadnt got the hang of formulas in spreadsheets, feeling kind of gutted and kind of like I failed but i get that we just have lessons like that. Live and learn and hopefully next weeks lesson will be better
    I could have typed this word for word (apart from the subject). My Year 7 went so badly today, I was holding back the tears...where did you go to cry? Haha share your crying tips. That feeling when a lesson goes badly is awful. I hate it

ReputationRep:
    I sadly just cried when my mentor started giving me feedback after the lesson, i didnt even manage to go and do it subtly, thankfully it wasnt bawly type crying just snuffles and tears but it was enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I've had a day at uni today and I'm so glad to be in the group who would rather be in school. Back on placement again tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. Starting to struggle for starters though. We're still working in the same kinds of things we were doing 2 lessons ago so it's hard to avoid repetition. We've done posts-its and a q&a so far but not sure what to do this week with my year 7s

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What subject are you teaching?

(Original post by Pineapple pie)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally I'm on the uni based side. I found it very helpful and important to have that uni network surrounding me. I was being taught by a huge range of experts with so much to offer. I feel it's important to have that really solid grounding in theory and an opportunity to learn about all the different approaches, not just what is popular in your school at the moment. I think high quality out of school training to complement the school based training (which is of course incredibly important- you need to get stuck in to build confidence and become good at it!) is vital. The theory side gives you a lot of time to become a reflective practitioner and this high level of training allows for lifelong learning, teachers who improve throughout their career.

Having said that, some school direct programmes do buy in to most of the programme at the local uni making them very similar in practice. This is where it becomes important to look closely at what each course offers. Some don't have much of the personal development stuff which I personally found very important. I still think the network of other trainees is really helpful too though!

And after all that, there is also an element of the format which suits you best. While I still think lots of uni input is good, there might be other benefits of being school based which could balance it out! I'll let someone else sing those virtues

I'll also note, there are many excellent teachers coming out of both routes.

(Original post by Ratchit99)
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ugh I had the worst lesson ever today. The kids just didn't have a clue what I was trying to do and it didn't work at all. I really need to turn things around for them next lesson and get back on track. I felt so crappy afterwards. Just when you know you've done a rubbish lesson and you can't get it out of your mind
    Hug!

It is horrible. But you're right, it does get better once you get in and have a good day again.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple pie)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Schools direct definitely, though I am biased as thats the course I am on! At my alliance we do 2 days of lectures then 3 days in school. (none placement times). So monday is usually Curriculum based lessons, ie. how to teach writing/reading/maths/re/history etc at a primary school level. Then Tuesday is normally University based lectures with the other people on my alliance, Meeting Children's Needs, Reflective Practise, Creative and Effective Teaching etc. Then the other days I am in a different school based in a class where I help with group work, do guided reading, sometimes I do whole class stuff etc.

The combination between being in lectures and being in the class is really well balanced imo. I learn a lot from both.

ReputationRep:
    From my experiences, I don't see why there's such a big divide between School Direct and PGCE. The first three weeks in September for us were based in uni, and then we are in uni every Friday (I'm PGCE), and the SD lot spent the first three weeks in their lead school for their alliance doing training and lectures, so basically the same thing we were doing at uni. Then every Friday they are in their lead school again for training. So basically the exact same thing but their lectures are at a school rather than uni.

I chose the uni route because I wanted the support of the uni behind me and I'm glad because I have amazing tutors who I feel I wouldn't be on the course if it weren't for them. I've also met some really nice people and the whole course is a great lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.