Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    oh I kinda knew how it worked ... But is the draft just for college players? Was confused I thought the team loses all its players n has to pick all over again lol thanks for the help.
    And yh I like how college students are picked. Unlike the premier league here were they just buy foreign players without bothering with the kids here. And then wondering why they don't win anything on the international level
    It's a great system, but it only really works because American football is such a closed shop in the US. There are no other professional leagues worth talking about, so all the players go straight from college to the NFL, and it wouldn't really work unless the college game was as well supported as it is.

In Major League Baseball, for example, players from other countries are not subjected to the draft, and may be signed by any team (I think this is right - I'm not a baseball fan by any means, please correct me if I'm wrong). The signing of foreign players is kept in check by the salary cap, which is something that would need to be introduced across UEFA in football to keep the Champions League fair, but this would be nearly impossible to sort out. So while the draft is great, unfortunately I can never see it working to fix the disparities in English football.

ReputationRep:
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/06/05/miam...content_stream

We might not be one the best teams in the NFL right now, but we at least have some of the best cheerleaders haha. Not bothered about the song though....

ReputationRep:
    Ocho in the process of being released...any ideas where he might end up? St Louis? Tampa Bay? Miami?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxfordGoBrach)
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/06/05/miam...content_stream

We might not be one the best teams in the NFL right now, but we at least have some of the best cheerleaders haha. Not bothered about the song though....
    Incredible. Simply. Incredible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunter7634)
    Ocho in the process of being released...any ideas where he might end up? St Louis? Tampa Bay? Miami?
    Don't expect he'll go to Miami tbh. Our offense wants to spread the ball around a lot now, and Ochocinco would hate that and start complaining. Not a good environment for a rookie QB too.

ReputationRep:
    So happy

Pats have basically wrapped Gronk up for his whole career. Contracted through 2019!

edit: also a bargain as well!

ReputationRep:
    Damn, Gronk is awesome. How could you not love this guy...

ReputationRep:
    Well the Dolphins have a workout scheduled with Ochocinco, appears I could be wrong then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    The off-season just goes on for way too long. Is there a reason that it pans out that way? Couldn't they space it out a bit more like have a couple weeks break halfway through?
    Momentum for the team would be hammered first of all. Teams often put together long runs coming off a bye-week, like the Patriots for example :L, and the NFL doesn't want to ruin that.

From a capitalist perspective also, the more condensed and action packed a short space of time is, the more exciting it is for a fan. Also, the off-season then leaves us begging for more football by the time August rolls around, and so we are more in need.

The other point I guess is the weather. They would rather play through autumn and winter than spring and summer. Summer would be far too hot in most places in the states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunter7634)
    It's a great system, but it only really works because American football is such a closed shop in the US. There are no other professional leagues worth talking about, so all the players go straight from college to the NFL, and it wouldn't really work unless the college game was as well supported as it is.

In Major League Baseball, for example, players from other countries are not subjected to the draft, and may be signed by any team (I think this is right - I'm not a baseball fan by any means, please correct me if I'm wrong). The signing of foreign players is kept in check by the salary cap, which is something that would need to be introduced across UEFA in football to keep the Champions League fair, but this would be nearly impossible to sort out. So while the draft is great, unfortunately I can never see it working to fix the disparities in English football.
    Major League Baseball doesn't have a salary cap, which is one of the biggest criticisms of the league. As a result, the same teams win all the time, just like in the EPL. It kinda sucks, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baltimoron)
    Major League Baseball doesn't have a salary cap, which is one of the biggest criticisms of the league. As a result, the same teams win all the time, just like in the EPL. It kinda sucks, but whatever.
    The NBA has a salary cap though doesn't it? And it is even more dominated by 2 or 3 teams than the MLB. Although I guess that stems from rosters being so small, that you can easily afford 3 star players on your roster and when you only have 5 guys on the court at once, you're gonna dominate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    The NBA has a salary cap though doesn't it? And it is even more dominated by 2 or 3 teams than the MLB. Although I guess that stems from rosters being so small, that you can easily afford 3 star players on your roster and when you only have 5 guys on the court at once, you're gonna dominate.
    NBA is dominated by 2/3 teams? Dude... Where were OKC, Clips or Pacers a couple of years ago? Where are the Lakers, Magic or Mavs now? Sure, there are some teams that have been qualifying to the playoffs regularly in the last few years and some that have been crap, but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RabbitCFH)
    NBA is dominated by 2/3 teams? Dude... Where were OKC, Clips or Pacers a couple of years ago? Where are the Lakers, Magic or Mavs now? Sure, there are some teams that have been qualifying to the playoffs regularly in the last few years and some that have been crap, but still.
    Before last year I think 9 out of 12 NBA finals were won by either the Lakers or the Spurs. The Bulls dominated the 90s. Celtics and Lakers in the 80s. In fact isn't this year the first time in 13 years that the finals are not in California or Texas? The Mavericks, Lakers and Spurs have dominated the NBA in the last 10-12 years. Now those teams have ageing players so a new group of teams are going to start dominating. Heat are starting to come good with Lebron on fire. OKC looking good as well hosting the finals. It is just time now for a new group of teams to start dominating taking over from the Mavs and Lakers.

With the very small rosters, it is much easier to put together a team with a core of 2 or 3 maybe even 4 star players, and with that recipe you will most likely make a deep run in the playoffs.

Comparing this with the MLB which someone bemoaned earlier for being dominated by a few teams, in the last 10 years, 8 different teams have won the World Series.

ReputationRep:
    AAAAaand we got Ochocinco, contrary to what I thought would happen. Might as well have someone who has ability, just don't know if he's a fit mentally, if we want to spread the ball around, he'll hate that a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I gotta agree with fudgesundae, the NBA is even worse in this regard. For their playoff run, the Thunder beat every team that has represented the western conference in the Finals since 1998. That's three teams. The Lakers, Mavericks, and Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe, I didn't look at it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe, I didn't look at it that way.
    Haha, fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Ravens all the way. Ray lewis will get his second ring and finally retire as the GOAT ILB. Also people will stop saying Flacco is terrible and realise he outplayed Brady in the AFC championship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owen laughing)
    Ravens all the way. Ray lewis will get his second ring and finally retire as the GOAT ILB. Also people will stop saying Flacco is terrible and realise he outplayed Brady in the AFC championship.
    I counter that with Brady winning 2 rings in the next 3 years with the Patriots now having playmakers on both side of the ball. He retires with 5 rings 4 MVPs and is finally recognised as the GOAT.

ReputationRep:
    I counter both of these predictions with reality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.