Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    My sister's one and she's lovely :p:

And yeah it wasn't too bad. I think I was in the good rotation - apparently the guy for hip examination in the other group refused to take any of his clothes off, they weren't allowed to lower the bed from it being at ~70 degrees and he refused to move his leg more than a few centimetres. And then once they were over they saw him walk off with nothing wrong! So they weren't too happy!

I did quite a few silly things, but you always do in an OSCE. In my hip exam I nearly forgot to expose the guy's top half, and I saw a crutch and in my head went "ooh a crutch" but didn't comment on it at all :p: And I very nearly got my lefts and rights confused
    I know of people who've examined the wrong side in OSCEs before :yep: Sounds like you were lucky not to get that guy then!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I know of people who've examined the wrong side in OSCEs before :yep: Sounds like you were lucky not to get that guy then!
    One of my friends did the whole "can I examine your hip?" and he just went "no".

Glad it's over. We get the results next week, along with AR and SSS :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    One of my friends did the whole "can I examine your hip?" and he just went "no".

Glad it's over. We get the results next week, along with AR and SSS :s:
    You'll have passed

ReputationRep:
    Freeedommmmm!!!

Technically no more exams to revise for (assuming I've passed). Exams went ok and got progressively worse throughout the week - SAQs on Monday were ok, though a bit on the longer side considering how many questions we had to answer and how long we had to do it. The EMQ and SBA paper was trickier and some of the stuff I swear we have never had mentioned to us, like EVER! I know they do that to differentiate between candidates, but this exam had way too many of these questions. They even made simple stuff tricky with their complicated wording. Oh and I swear half the paper was on infections. SBAs were better than EMQs I thought though.

The OSCE was ok - no major surprises with stations and stuff though the sensory for the upper and lower limb station was really long - most people struggled to finish. And i heard loads of people missed out examining a few cranial nerves as the sheet told us to examine cranial nerves "7-12" which others read as "7&12". Oh and them telling us to examine specific limbs for the shoulder and hip examinations despite learning to do both at the same time was very distracting. Nothing majorly tough though but it was just annoying to remember in an exam setting. But thats the name of the game so...

Today's anatomy exam was actually quite tough! Actually I lie, it was bloody tough! Out of 100 questions, I felt confident on like 30/40 and had to hazard educated guesses at the others. Everyone thought it was tough though. Sorta leaves a sour taste despite finishing exams which isn't nice. Last years end of exams felt better (partly because the last exam was relatively accessible). This year, I'm worried. Oh and it didn't rain afterwards too. :/

/rant

Dont start my iBSc till the 19th (if I manage to pass with no resits) of September so nice long holiday to look forward to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Are you in the med school that does finals in fourth year?
    Yeah. I can't decide if it is a good thing or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    I'm not free until the end of July :moon:
    That's unlucky, I'm free in a few days.

And most people are free right now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so ****ing knackered

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Im loving not having to worry about exams for a little while.

Turns out I lost a mark for saying 'PR' rather than digital rectal exam !!

ReputationRep:
    15 days until the written. Haven't done any OSCE or anatomy revision.

We just finished lectures on Friday. I actually want to take a dump outside George's for all the **** I've endured in second year. What medical school has 10-12,000 word assignment deadlines three weeks before exams? Who has 12 lectures a ****ing week besides clinical skills, comms skills and random CPH/PPD tutorials? WHY ARE ALL WRITTEN EXAMS SYNOPTIC? Where are our ****ing slides? Why don't we have a coloured printer in this library? What is this ****?

I can't wait to **** off and go to King's this year. Anywhere is better than here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)

We just finished lectures on Friday. I actually want to take a dump outside George's for all the **** I've endured in second year. What medical school has 10-12,000 word assignment deadlines three weeks before exams? Who has 12 lectures a ****ing week besides clinical skills, comms skills and random CPH/PPD tutorials? WHY ARE ALL WRITTEN EXAMS SYNOPTIC? Where are our ****ing slides? Why don't we have a coloured printer in this library? What is this ****?

I can't wait to **** off and go to King's this year. Anywhere is better than here.
    Imperial also like to screw with us. But we never have a shortage of colour printers
    We have far more lectures than that a week normally too....But then we only have PPD and how to takl to patients out of the other things you mentioned.

Hang in there, almost over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)

I can empathise with at least three of those points :yes: Roll on September... (what's the betting in a year's time we're begging to go back to our original med schools? :tongue:)

ReputationRep:
    I am sooooo scared of starting my elective tomorrow. Its a different medical school thats based there and i just know its going to be full of super clever and competitive students. You have to get like a million a stars at gcse to get in. All the students ive met speak really posh and i have a strong accent! Ive only had to compete once and i am so rubbish at it!

Now i just sound like a fresher freaking out! Im a final year for crying out loud why am i so freaked out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    I am sooooo scared of starting my elective tomorrow. Its a different medical school thats based there and i just know its going to be full of super clever and competitive students. You have to get like a million a stars at gcse to get in. All the students ive met speak really posh and i have a strong accent! Ive only had to compete once and i am so rubbish at it!

Now i just sound like a fresher freaking out! Im a final year for crying out loud why am i so freaked out?
    Which med school is it? I am curious...
    You will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    I'm not free until the end of July :moon:
    Im sure your at the same university as me so when you go on your elective you dont finish till mid august. Then two weeks off before restarting at the end of august!

End of july for most years though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Which med school is it? I am curious...
    You will be fine!
    Birmingham!
    Im scared its too big a city for my liking but the only place i could get to!
    I usually dont care about starting somewhere new but im used to nice small community hospitals that like having me there and give me tea and cake. Not scarey city hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham!
    Im scared its too big a city for my liking but the only place i could get to!
    I usually dont care about starting somewhere new but im used to nice small community hospitals that like having me there and give me tea and cake. Not scarey city hospitals.
    I would like a small hospital...but ours are all too far out...Charing cross is apparently a nightmare to learn at...So I have been told...but so close! (I can see it from my window...)

ReputationRep:
    I would like a small hospital...but ours are all too far out...Charing cross is apparently a nightmare to learn at...So I have been told...but so close! (I can see it from my window...)
    Are you in london? In a big city are there generally lots of students on a ward round or in a clinic? I have visions of like five students or more all following the same consultant!

ReputationRep:
    Are you in london? In a big city are there generally lots of students on a ward round or in a clinic? I have visions of like five students or more all following the same consultant!
    When I did my 3 week firm it was meant to be 3 of us on a ward round. I never saw my consultant apart form in theatre or our tutorial/feedback sessions where he made me feel dumb. But then he was a professor so I don't know about other people...F1&2s were nice, once it was clear you weren't just going to bunk off home and were as helpful as you can expect a 2nd year to be they did as much teaching as you could expect considering how busy they are.

We did have a bloody hilarious grand round with about 20 people once, filled side rooms to the brim with people.

ReputationRep:
    When I did my 3 week firm it was meant to be 3 of us on a ward round. I never saw my consultant apart form in theatre or our tutorial/feedback sessions where he made me feel dumb. But then he was a professor so I don't know about other people...F1&2s were nice, once it was clear you weren't just going to bunk off home and were as helpful as you can expect a 2nd year to be they did as much teaching as you could expect considering how busy they are.

We did have a bloody hilarious grand round with about 20 people once, filled side rooms to the brim with people.
    Three is okay i could get used to that! 20 bloody hell - can you imagen being the patient? Could you tell who was the patient? I hope the foundation doctors are nice! I think ive been spoilt in that ive always made an effort to speak to everyone on the ward and people seem to be receptive to that!

Im better at practical things and i think that gets latched onto. So if theres stuff that needs doing i get found to do it. Infact i think i was pretty much doing what a foundation doctor does but without the responsibility! Im not sure how i would get on going back to a shadow!

ReputationRep:
    Three is okay i could get used to that! 20 bloody hell - can you imagen being the patient? Could you tell who was the patient? I hope the foundation doctors are nice! I think ive been spoilt in that ive always made an effort to speak to everyone on the ward and people seem to be receptive to that!

Im better at practical things and i think that gets latched onto. So if theres stuff that needs doing i get found to do it. Infact i think i was pretty much doing what a foundation doctor does but without the responsibility! Im not sure how i would get on going back to a shadow!
    The only people that could see the patient were really the consultants and one of the regs. Plus me and one of the other students because we got there first. Poor patient indeed although some of them like having the attention of 3 consultants focused on just them.

you should be fine if you are useful then. The people that got ignored we those that tended to turn up whenever and expected to be taught/told exactly what to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.