Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

(Original post by Norin)
    Who cares about that, the Master snogged the Doctors face off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was hoping it would be the Rani or someone.

THE MASTER CAN'T BE A WOMAN, THIS RUINS EVERYTHING :bawling: :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    It was the other way around for me. I totally missed the exoskeleton comments, but the windows are what tipped me off!

That was a fantastic episode, really brilliant. Bit boring that Missy is the Master, though. Would've been fun if it was some other Time Lord from the canon, rather than the same old enemy again.
    It's the Master though!!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent (though with a few reservations, like the secret about the skeletons being incredibly obvious). See, I KNEW that if they did a two-parter they could actually shovel in a proper story. Looking forward to next week!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Maid Marian)

It can't be that bad.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Much better episode. It's just such a shame the Master storyline is intertwined with the godawful Clara/Danny storyline, and predictably Danny will have some significant role in stopping the Master
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Time Lords can swap genders. :dontknow: Having a female iteration does nothing to detract from the Master's menace and lore.

(Original post by GCSEsitter)
    Same.
    I don't get why the master needed to waste two minutes of screen time pretending to be a robot just so (s)he could kiss the doctor.
    It's not a waste of screen time "just to kiss the doctor", rather it's 1. misleading the viewer to create a more suspenseful climax, and 2. developing the personality of the character. These sorts of interactions are important in gauging who the character is and what role they play: it fits in with the nonchalant, unhinged, psychopathic malevolence - as opposed to the raging malice of John Simm's Master.

(Original post by Norin)
    It can't be that bad.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is, I'm gutted.

Time Lords can swap genders. :dontknow: Having a female iteration does nothing to detract from the Master's menace and lore.
    They shouldn't be able to, I don't agree with it at all. :no: Feel very, very disappointed.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It is, I'm gutted.

They shouldn't be able to, I don't agree with it at all. :no: Feel very, very disappointed.
    Why is it so upsetting?

ReputationRep:
    that was. AWESOME.

seriously, just WOW, so many twists, so much clever, so much wow, so much win!

cybermen controlled by the master created from all the dead humans...holy ****ing **** ****!

also, the master as a woman? GENIUS!

ReputationRep:
    You know, Chris Addison was great in that episode, didn't think it'd work but he's got that horrible smarmy cheeriness. I agree with Maid Marian, the gender change shouldn't happen. It was there primarily for shock value. Unless:

Miss Clara>Miss C>Missy.

That's the only way I see it being relevant.

Why is it so upsetting?
    Because the Master is a MAN. I just .. no, no I can't :no:

And we all know what's going to come next - a female Doctor. If that happens, I'm out.

MOFFAT :rant:

(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)

also, the master as a woman? GENIUS!
    How...how is it genius? :confused:

It's lame, predictable and ruins the history of the show.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It is, I'm gutted.
    I just wanna know why she kissed him, and for me personally it was the best so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    Still seems a bit weird. Why does Danny have to choose to be deleted? Why not convert everyone automatically? Why would the master help the cybermen? Why is Clara still here? They travelled apparently to the depths of the universe, switching off shields and nav-com just so they could get into London, they could have just taken the bus?
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they will answer those questions next week mate.......
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    I really enjoyed it! It's a shock of the master being a woman, but I think that's far more easy to get to terms with than if the doctor was

Master and cybermen - brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Dr who is back!

ReputationRep:
    And we all know what's going to come next - a female Doctor. If that happens, I'm out.

MOFFAT :rant:
    :colonhash::closedeyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It was the other way around for me. I totally missed the exoskeleton comments, but the windows are what tipped me off!

That was a fantastic episode, really brilliant. Bit boring that Missy is the Master, though. Would've been fun if it was some other Time Lord from the canon, rather than the same old enemy again.
    Now I thought the exoskeleton comment was obvious - an inorganic humanoid exoskeleton, fairly obvious what that is.

Not sure about that - I like seeing the master back. John simm was one of my favourite villains, I'm looking forward to seeing how gomez does, and what shlers connection to clara is.

Don't see the problem with the gender change - it's been hinted at as canon before: the corsair in the doctors wife, creates an interesting twist as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Amazing episode! I'm surprised so many people dislike the whole Missy/Master thing... I think it's brilliant. I was hoping the Master was going to make another appearance!

ReputationRep:
    How...how is it genius? :confused:

It's lame, predictable and ruins the history of the show.
    I didn't find it lame or predictable.

Its a genius plot twist cause many wouldn't of predicted it imo.

As for the shows history? They had female time lords/ladies in the classic series! Why do you hate the idea of a female master so much? Would you be outraged it the master was gay or black?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.