Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Because labour didn't promise to only not take up all their seats, I take it that you fundamentally disagree with by-elections too then?
    Labour is somewhat a victim of its own success, although it is just about coping without external assistance, which is more than can be said about another party that won an election recently.

By-elections are sometimes necessary, although any by-elections are 4 weeks away yet.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Labour is somewhat a victim of its own success, although it is just about coping without external assistance, which is more than can be said about another party that won an election recently.

By-elections are sometimes necessary, although any by-elections are 4 weeks away yet.
    Can we not talk about the issues or are you programmed to attack the greens at every convince?

4 weeks in which these new MP's can get their record looking good and not have to worry about losing their seat
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Can we not talk about the issues or are you programmed to attack the greens at every convince?

4 weeks in which these new MP's can get their record looking good and not have to worry about losing their seat
    The point is that these issues are by no means unique to this term or this party.

Yes, that's great in this particular case, however it was complete luck that the new MPs were appointed on the day of the review. Say they had been appointed last week, they would be flagged up today even if they had a 100% record. That doesn't seem fair to me.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The point is that these issues are by no means unique to this term or this party.

Yes, that's great in this particular case, however it was complete luck that the new MPs were appointed on the day of the review. Say they had been appointed last week, they would be flagged up today even if they had a 100% record. That doesn't seem fair to me.
    So what would you do? Add a cap to the number of seats any one party can have?

It's on the seat and not them it seems perfectly ok to me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    So what would you do? Add a cap to the number of seats any one party can have?
    How about continue to do voting reviews as they have been done in the past?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How about continue to do voting reviews as they have been done in the past?
    Which should be done on the seat not the party
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Which should be done on the seat not the party
    I remember something happening two terms ago where Labour replaced one of their MPs days before that seat would have gone to by-election. This was perfectly acceptable.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I remember something happening two terms ago where Labour replaced one of their MPs days before that seat would have gone to by-election. This was perfectly acceptable.
    If I had been around I would have opposed it just as much as I would oppose it now
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    If I had been around I would have opposed it just as much as I would oppose it now
    You mean in a complaint like this from Life_peer at the time?

We should make another change to the system. Labour showed us it is possible to get away with having a rubbish MP for most of the term and then replacing her a couple of days before a voting review without any sanctions whatsoever.The whole point of these reviews is to get parties to utilise the full number of MP seats effectively and encourage activity, not to allow them to give the seats away to random people and voting machines just to prevent themselves from losing them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You mean in a complaint like this from Life_peer at the time?
    on this occasion I completely agree with LP. (Wow I never thought I'd say that)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    on this occasion I completely agree with LP. (Wow I never thought I'd say that)
    The thing is no other change (of that nature) was ever made, and any major party who does support making a change may well regret it later.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The thing is no other change (of that nature) was ever made, and any major party who does support making a change may well regret it later.
    Then it is down to the speaker to rule on this then according to his judgment.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    Then it is down to the speaker to rule on this then according to his judgment.
    I suppose, but the precedent is clear, if not always popular.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I suppose, but the precedent is clear, if not always popular.
    Each speaker has the perogative to reinterpret the GD as (s)he sees fit. Just Because it's happened before doesn't mean it should happen again
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm actually quite amused as the "voting bot" MP Labour were accused of appointing at the last minute to avoid the review is now our Deputy Leader.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Statement from the Leader of the Labour Party:

A hearty congratulations to our two new MPs the Hon. tmpearce99 and the Hon. cranbrook_aspie!
    The conduct of the 2 outgoing MPs was abysmal and I give my humblest apologies to the House. They failed in their duty and I, as their leader, must take full responsibility. Whilst I hold that Labour should keep the seats now that two decent and hugely worthy individuals have taken them up (from what I've seen in the sub-forum they'll soon prove their worth) trust that I understand how important active MPs are.

We can and will do better.

ReputationRep:
    RayApparently Are you troubled by your party's lack of inactivity by other MPs, such as Junaid and St. Brynjar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Statement from the Leader of the Labour Party:

A hearty congratulations to our two new MPs the Hon. tmpearce99 and the Hon. cranbrook_aspie!
    The conduct of the 2 outgoing MPs was abysmal and I give my humblest apologies to the House. They failed in their duty and I, as their leader, must take full responsibility. Whilst I hold that Labour should keep the seats now that two decent and hugely worthy individuals have taken them up (from what I've seen in the sub-forum they'll soon prove their worth) trust that I understand how important active MPs are.

We can and will do better.
    Does the labour party also understand how giving the leader 2 votes on a bill 'as a proxy' is undemocratic.

Why have 1 active mp when you can have 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Burford99)
    RayApparently Are you troubled by your party's lack of inactivity by other MPs, such as Junaid and St. Brynjar?
    Not excessively.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Does the labour party also understand how giving the leader 2 votes on a bill 'as a proxy' is undemocratic.

Why have 1 active mp when you can have 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its no less democratic than using a 3LW. I'm confident my votes were as the MP in question would have voted - something few others could claim.

Does UKIP understand how the leader selecting the MPs is undemocratic?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.