This discussion is closed.
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
This reminds me of that 'right to be forgotten' legislation haha
Even more perfectly there was a politician who was trying to get stories of his conduct in office removed for when he stood again.
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just caught up with the Speakership election but as I'm not an MP I can't comment in the actual thread.

As a supporter of Miser I can't say I'm offended by his decision in the slightest. It takes a lot of courage to pull out of the role for the good of the House, not many members would do that.

Also, is Nebelbon being serious? Suggesting Miser would pull out to aid another candidate as a political stunt, if he knew Miser, he'd know that just isn't the type of person Miser is. What a ridiculous statement.

Best of luck to the final two candidates though, either of you will make an ideal Speaker and I hope members vote for who they think would be the best Speaker, not who has the least controversial past.
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This Speakership election is becoming a farce. It is literally just right-wing MPs arguing for why each voter should not vote for Faland, I haven't seen anyone put forward a coherent argument backing bun, rather than pitching him as the less of two evils. Negative campaigning at its finest, and no one really appreciates muckraking from Speakership contenders.
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cheese_Monster)
This Speakership election is becoming a farce. It is literally just right-wing MPs arguing for why each voter should not vote for Faland, I haven't seen anyone put forward a coherent argument backing bun, rather than pitching him as the less of two evils. Negative campaigning at its finest, and no one really appreciates muckraking from Speakership contenders.
Let's put this into perspective, how many actually are? There aren't 10-20 MPs doing this; there are a few vocal opponents raising legitimate concerns (whilst I believe doing so in the wrong manner) but let's not blow this out of proportion. When we have a winner we all need to get behind them whether left or right (or centre )
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MacDaddi)
Let's put this into perspective, how many actually are? There aren't 10-20 MPs doing this; there are a few vocal opponents raising legitimate concerns (whilst I believe doing so in the wrong manner) but let's not blow this out of proportion. When we have a winner we all need to get behind them whether left or right (or centre )
Yeah, I suppose its ironic that I brought up 'right-wing', but I meant Nebelbon, Cryptographic and Life_Peer. Fair enough they're concerned about Faland's past, but the point was made on the first thread, and yet, three threads later, there has been no discussion of any form of policy, its just a group ganging up on a candidate. If anything, it'll probably make more people want to vote Faland (no offence to bun, who I am personally fond of), though it makes no real difference as I don't have a vote.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep. Though in my defence, Faland was the first to 'throw muck' at myself and Miser.

Anyway, I've said elsewhere on here I don't like how this campaign is turning out. I don't like the smear campaign, nor the fact it's basically becoming a negative campaigning thing. I never have liked that, and all my leadership/deputy etc campaigns that I've had on here have never been run like that.
If I win, however unlikely that will be, I won't know whether I have full confidence of the House, or whether people just didn't want Faland.

The whole thing has become a farce I'm afraid, and Miser really hasn't helped things one jot. I'd like to know the real reason for pulling out. He was the runaway favourite, I even said he had my vote pretty much in the election campaign. I have nothing wrong with him pulling out - I pulled out if the Tory Leadership election when we elected Qwertish because I thought he was the better option. BUT why wait till round 2 to pull out? It just causes chaos as we saw last speakership election where someone (naming no names as I refuse a smear campaign threw his toys out of his pram).
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
However it is important to inform the many newer MPs of what has transgressed before, if it had been brought up clearly before, either in his manifesto (I have broken rules before, however that makes me better equipped to deter and help them) or he brought it up in a post (In the past when I broke some rules I was not taking this House as seriously, but it better prepares me as I have viewed this House from all angles) then I wouldn't bring it up. However for me it is almost lying by omission. This is the most important post in the MHoC so everyone needs to be properly informed. However i may have been too forceful at bringing it up, in that case I apologise, but my point still stands.

Also we have to bear in mind that Faland was the first to start the negative campaigning. 'If you can't take it, don't give it' or more pertinently 'Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house'
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
X
If you do get elected and you still feel this way then just call a Speakership Conformation motion like Jarred did when placating [redacted].
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
However it is important to inform the many newer MPs of what has transgressed before, if it had been brought up clearly before, either in his manifesto (I have broken rules before, however that makes me better equipped to deter and help them) or he brought it up in a post (In the past when I broke some rules I was not taking this House as seriously, but it better prepares me as I have viewed this House from all angles) then I wouldn't bring it up. However for me it is almost lying by omission. This is the most important post in the MHoC so everyone needs to be properly informed. However i may have been too forceful at bringing it up, in that case I apologise, but my point still stands.

Also we have to bear in mind that Faland was the first to start the negative campaigning. 'If you can't take it, don't give it' or more pertinently 'Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house'
Yes, but we have been informed, repeatedly, on several pages of threads, all stating exactly the same thing. I think we need to move the focus back to what both candidates can offer, not what one candidate cannot.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The difference is that Bun does not need us to vouch for him because he does not have **** on his hands. On the other hand, many new members are ignorant of Faland/JPKC's past and we deem it important to inform them which we do passionately, as he would say.

It is not a minor disadvantage – it is a major flaw! If this was IRL, he would not even be allowed to stand. I can think of people whose career ended after a single racist/homophobic remark which is quite nothing compared to cheating the whole House.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
The difference is that Bun does not need us to vouch for him because he does not have **** on his hands. On the other hand, many new members are ignorant of Faland/JPKC's past and we deem it important to inform them which we do passionately, as he would say.

It is not a minor disadvantage – it is a major flaw! If this was IRL, he would not even be allowed to stand.
However when they've reformed as a character, why not let the past be just that. A reformed character should not have his past transgressions used as a stick to beat him.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
However when they've reformed as a character, why not let the past be just that. A reformed character should not have his past transgressions used as a stick to beat him.
Maybe on the surface, but I would not trust him. His recent behaviour indicates otherwise.

Would you give a second chance to TMD? Morgsie? We have got some more banned members who have been denied a second chance, if I am not mistaken. Even if not, TMD has done a similar mischief in the MUN which got him a permanent ban, yet 13 people voted for this clown despite his dupe account and tampering with the newspaper.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Maybe on the surface, but I would not trust him. His recent behaviour indicates otherwise.

Would you give a second chance to TMD? Morgsie? We have got some more banned members who have been denied a second chance, if I am not mistaken. Even if not, TMD has done a similar mischief in the MUN which got him a permanent ban, yet 13 people voted for this clown despite his dupe account and tampering with the newspaper.
To TMD? Certainly not, nor was his actions "similar mischief". His actions were vandalism of the forum on a large scale with negative effects on the site as a whole (the 10k post limit exists for a reason), hardly comparable to editing the answers to an interview in a game.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miser)
Sure, I can answer that. My pulling out was conditional based on whether I'd be moved into a second round with Faland, since I didn't want to be in competition with him. It's also true that I didn't decide as soon as I saw the candidates - I've been trying not to make these decisions lightly (so if my doing so communicated the opposite that's an awkward irony ). As for CreativeFungus, no - I don't expect many members were naive enough to take him seriously.
Cheers miser, that means a lot coming from you. Especially in light of everything else raised today!
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Today I have had a pleasant afternoon sitting in the sunshine reading a book. I am now cooking a meal for myself.

Why does all the controversy in the MHofC happen when I am away?
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Very disappointed Miser pulled out - he'd have been a great speaker. I'm not following the bickering regarding the second round but what I've seen has made me reluctant to vote at all.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Today I have had a pleasant afternoon sitting in the sunshine reading a book. I am now cooking a meal for myself.

Nice I spent the afternoon sunbathing on the champs de Mars, watching the Tennis on the huge screen they've put up in front of the Eiffel, eating copious amounts of ice cream, and reading. Even with liberal amounts of suncream, I fear I will still end up beetroot like tomorrow. I seem to go from pale to red with no inbetween.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)

I've spent the day sunbathing taking the weight of my poor feet with my husband bringing me food.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sun? Sun? I set up for a BBQ to celebrate my 21st (tomorrow) and it started raining the moment we started eating. Cheered up once we'd finished the meal as well...
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Sun? Sun? I set up for a BBQ to celebrate my 21st (tomorrow) and it started raining the moment we started eating. Cheered up once we'd finished the meal as well...
Happy Birthday for tomorrow! We've had thunder here, but it has all passed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (206)
18.61%
No (673)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.6%

Watched Threads