Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, guys, are they really that strict about the word limit?
    Should I include a title of the work as well, even though I should fill in written work's name in the cover sheet? :/
    I'm really pessimistic about this...
    And to all applicants here who will be taking tests: I wish you the best of luck and I hope we will gain an opportunity to meet in December! I'll keep my fingers crossed to you all!

ReputationRep:
    WAIT, Is the limit for written work 2000 WORDS or CHARACTERS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nancy97)
    Words !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Surely you had an AS analysis type essay?

And you could do that - you have teachers (English proficient) who can mark that for you. Mature/international applicants don't always have the same support :/
    Definitely yes. Even if you are from the worst school in the UK, you will still have better support to apply in the UK. That seems natural and so maybe it is not unfair. I am an international and my school has seemingly never sent anyone to any British university. And I hated having to correct my teacher's English (in the reference).
    I am really glad that I don't have to submit written work. We barely do any coursework because we are simply mostly not assessed that way, so it would have been difficult.
    But I just hope that they take it somehow into account that international applicants (as long as they are not going to fancy private schools) have much less support to apply in the UK than UK students.

ReputationRep:
    2000 characters would be a lame essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Definitely yes. Even if you are from the worst school in the UK, you will still have better support to apply in the UK. That seems natural and so maybe it is not unfair. I am an international and my school has seemingly never sent anyone to any British university. And I hated having to correct my teacher's English (in the reference).
    I am really glad that I don't have to submit written work. We barely do any coursework because we are simply mostly not assessed that way, so it would have been difficult.
    But I just hope that they take it somehow into account that international applicants (as long as they are not going to fancy private schools) have much less support to apply in the UK than UK students.
    Hopefully they do, good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamara98)
    Words !
    I thought 2000 characters was the limit because I counted about 1300 words so I was suddenly worried. xD

(Original post by MouseyBrown)
    2000 characters would be a lame essay!
    Yeah, I've realised that... '-.- I'm really lost sometimes... xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Same for me, I had to help out my teacher for writting his reference in english, and had no help at all when writting my PS, which is quite scary.

Let alone help with the interview (If I get shortlisted).
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I don't think the word limit includes the title/question.
    Thanks! I've yet to scan it and send it off, in fact, I was doing it the other day when I had this sneaky suspicion that it was too long.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of written work are people sending in? I'm having to send in coursework since I have nothing else

ReputationRep:
    What kind of written work are people sending in? I'm having to send in coursework since I have nothing else
    For both my essays, I've had to write them up from scratch D: Thankfully, one is done and the other one half finished. I keep panicking I won't be able to finish on time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    For both my essays, I've had to write them up from scratch D: Thankfully, one is done and the other one half finished. I keep panicking I won't be able to finish on time!
    Mine hasn't even been marked yet and I'm terrified I'm going to get a god awful mark :afraid:

I know Oxford don't really care about the mark since they're aware it's marked to a specific scheme but it would be nice to have good marks to show them

ReputationRep:
    Mine hasn't even been marked yet and I'm terrified I'm going to get a god awful mark :afraid:

I know Oxford don't really care about the mark since they're aware it's marked to a specific scheme but it would be nice to have good marks to show them
    Don't worry, I'm in the same position! We'll suffer together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Don't worry, I'm in the same position! We'll suffer together
    Good luck to us both then haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    Same for me, I had to help out my teacher for writting his reference in english, and had no help at all when writting my PS, which is quite scary.

Let alone help with the interview (If I get shortlisted).
    Good luck!
    I can so relate to this, I'm doing everything alone (expect for the reference letter,that was my subject teacher's work) since nobody in my school has ever thought about applying to Oxford because of the reputation Oxford has in the world.
    And there is no person here that really knows how to apply and how to write PS and written work, so I understand you. We're both on our own... But that is useful actually, we'll learn a lot from this!

One of my written works is a literature one (examination essay) and the other one is a rhetorical exercise (homework assignment). Have you already decided on the subjects of your written work?

ReputationRep:
    I can so relate to this, I'm doing everything alone (expect for the reference letter,that was my subject teacher's work) since nobody in my school has ever thought about applying to Oxford because of the reputation Oxford has in the world.
    And there is no person here that really knows how to apply and how to write PS and written work, so I understand you. We're both on our own... But that is useful actually, we'll learn a lot from this!

One of my written works is a literature one (examination essay) and the other one is a rhetorical exercise (homework assignment). Have you already decided on the subjects of your written work?
    Where are you from? And, have you applied to other unis in the uk?

I'd love to at least get an interview, and get to go to Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I'm sure you'll do fine. What college/course have you applied for btw?
    Thanks haha, same to you! All we can do is give it our best. I have applied for straight history at Brasenose, how about you? Good luck with the HAT!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for History and Politics so I HAVE to send in one piece of History work. That is me sorted basically, just need my teacher to get it marked before November 10th! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If I already have my A2 grades (Gap Year Applicant), and have contextual information (I would receive three flags on my application), Is the ELAT less important for getting an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Is it easier to apply as an international student due to the higher fees?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.