Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyranitar)
    Hi all, just did my UKCAT today. It went much better than expected! Here are my scores:

VR - 900
    QR - 900
    AR - 770
    SJ - Band 2. So, overall 2570 with SJ Band 2. I really want to apply to Edinburgh, but I've heard they're really strict with SJ, so I'm scared my Band 2 won't be enough Any thoughts/pointers?
    Yes they're strict with it, but you'll only lose 1 or 2 marks from a marking scheme of about 40 in total! You'll have a top octile UKCAT (seriously well done, incredible score) which will make up for it. As long as your grades and PS and top notch you'll have a good shot

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by L1234567)
    Thanks
    Our ears our burning!

Here's a link to the UKCAT practice question bank, the first 50 are free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesslouise1996)
    Just done my ukcat and got 627, I've got 5A*s and 5A GCSEs and AAAaa at ALevel, do you think I need to sit the BMAT?
    Hey, I got something quite similar. PM me to discuss if you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by &Hope)
    is it worth applying for medicine for a Ukcat average of 590? I did it today and it went horribly wrong for some reason.... practiced sooo much but don't know what happened

GCSE's: 5 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs
    AS levels: As in biology and chemistry, B in ICT (maybe I'll get that remarked and push it to an A) and a C in maths which I'm retaking all the exams for this year
    I didn't do as well either for my UKCAT, however I do suggest to do the BMAT, and apply to BMAT universities. PM me to discuss more. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice, I'm going to use it tomorrow
    Congrats on your score!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, just did my UKCAT today. It went much better than expected! Here are my scores:

VR - 900
    QR - 900
    AR - 770
    SJ - Band 2. So, overall 2570 with SJ Band 2. I really want to apply to Edinburgh, but I've heard they're really strict with SJ, so I'm scared my Band 2 won't be enough Any thoughts/pointers?
    Wow congrats you smashed it! Any tips on how to go about the VR section? Also I'm sure you'll be fine with SJ band 2 seeing the average you've got x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muz360)
    Yes they're strict with it, but you'll only lose 1 or 2 marks from a marking scheme of about 40 in total! You'll have a top octile UKCAT (seriously well done, incredible score) which will make up for it. As long as your grades and PS and top notch you'll have a good shot

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Alright, thanks for the encouragement and information! Helped allay my fears

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    guys just warning you i saw this thread; I revised and worked hard for my UKCAT and did crap.

I did like really really bad and I thought everything was over and getting into med school was impossible

and then I got 3/4 offers.

solid advice- DO BMAT AS WELL. ukcat can be so so so hit and miss; i panicked on the day and did so much worse than i had been doing in practice; in contrast my friend who had done no revision at all did really well in ukcat, but had a poor personal statement and got all rejections despite applying carefully.

don't give up hope if your finding it dreadful, if anyone needs any support feel free to message me- I'm going to med school this september and have been on a gap year this last year (although it was my 1st time applying to uni during my gap year)

xx
    Hi I need to do the Bmat because my UKCat was not brilliant. Where do I start, is there equivalent of medify or something? Is it worth doing a Kaplan course? Do you know of anywhere for practise papers? Any advice would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    Wow congrats you smashed it! Any tips on how to go about the VR section? Also I'm sure you'll be fine with SJ band 2 seeing the average you've got x
    Hey, thanks! For VR, I would say it's important to pick up on like really small details. These usually end up being the deal-breaker for many questions. Like, often times an answer can be True instead of False because of one tiny line in the middle of the passage, and the concept is not discussed anywhere else. The best way to do this, I think, is to just be able to read as fast as possible and absorb as much as possible at the same time. There's no easy way to accomplish this other than to practice reading lots of web sources, like BBC or CNN. Then you get used to reading words off of a computer screen, which is what you'll be faced with during the test.

For the other types of VR questions, I think it's important to identify the option that is the most correct for the question. Like I often find myself being confused between 2 options for a question. At first glance, both seem correct. But usually there is one statement which has direct support from the passage, and one statement that does not have as much support. I guess we can say it's more of an inference? An extended one which is a bit far-fetched. So be sure to pick the option which has direct support and disregard the option which is a bit more tenuous when it comes to evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Have been observing this thread for a while and am very thankful for the great tips.
    So I did my test today and am beyond please (applying as a graduate):

VR 680
    Little less than I managed to get in the mocks but given the long passages I am ok with this. I was lucky enough to get about 5 T/F/CT passages though.

QR 890
    Quite a lot of multi-step questions but nothing to complicated. I encountered 1 passage with confusing data/questions but besides that my experience was quite similar to most others in that this section is easier than in the mocks.

AR 860
    I always felt that this was my worst section but today most patterns seemed straight forward. I think there was only one set with a conditional but lots of odd/even, triangle above or under circle, ...

SJT Band 1
    Quite pleased as all my mocks were band 2. This section seems to be the same as in all the mocks though.

I prepared for about 1 month working through all the 1000Q and Medify questions before attempting all the mocks in the past week.

ReputationRep:

VR - 900
    QR - 900
    AR - 770
    Hi, that's a great score!! Do u mind me asking what resources you used to prepare and for how long? How did u find the VR btw? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

GCSEs: 7A* (Math, Lan, lit, Core, addition, further science, geog) 2A (Art and Applied Business) 1B (french)
    UKCAT:
    VR-670
    QR-770
    AR-640 (693 average- 2080 total)
    SJT-Band 2
    Work experience:
    +6 months volunteering at hospital
    1 Week at hospital placement
    1 Week at independent opticians
    AS level: AAAA Maths, Bio, Chem, Geog
    Also eligible for some (access to leeds) , but not all, widening participation schemes.

Any suggestions on where i should apply?? Also does it make a difference that my GCSE's were sat in 3 years. (1 in year 9, 3 in Y10, 6 in Y11)

Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    guys just warning you i saw this thread; I revised and worked hard for my UKCAT and did crap.

I did like really really bad and I thought everything was over and getting into med school was impossible

and then I got 3/4 offers.

solid advice- DO BMAT AS WELL. ukcat can be so so so hit and miss; i panicked on the day and did so much worse than i had been doing in practice; in contrast my friend who had done no revision at all did really well in ukcat, but had a poor personal statement and got all rejections despite applying carefully.

don't give up hope if your finding it dreadful, if anyone needs any support feel free to message me- I'm going to med school this september and have been on a gap year this last year (although it was my 1st time applying to uni during my gap year)

xx

Hi! what universities did you apply for???????

ReputationRep:
    Did the ukcat and pretty disappointed:
    VR: 530
    QR: 850
    AR: 600
    Average: 660
    SJ: Band 2

Do I stand a chance for London Unis?
    King's/Barts/St Georges?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    I can't seem to get over 27/40 in timed VR practice on medify. V worried because the actual exam is harder and mine is in 2 days. What should be doing to improve my score? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have my exam at 8:00 in the morning next week and I'm not a morning sort of person-do u think the time of the exam matters? Please reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzywaterbottle)
    hey guys,
    I can't seem to get over 27/40 in timed VR practice on medify. V worried because the actual exam is harder and mine is in 2 days. What should be doing to improve my score? Any tips?
    that's pretty much the same as me when i was practicing hahaha!
    today i had my test and got 590 which was a little disappointing but my AR and QR scores boosted my overall score to 740 so it's totally fine i found that AR and QR were much harder on medify's practice tests than the real thing so there's definitely hope
    so don't panic!! if you've been doing practice tests then you're as well prepared as you can be and there's not much left you can do
    the day before my test i was super worried as i was pretty much getting 50% on VR practice questions but i decided to just chill as panicking during/before the actual exam will only make things worse so i should put my hopes on acing QR and AR instead
    it's totally normal to be better at certain sections than others - and generally people find VR to be a little more difficult anyway

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamly042)
    Hi

Have been observing this thread for a while and am very thankful for the great tips.
    So I did my test today and am beyond please (applying as a graduate):

VR 680
    Little less then I managed to get in the mocks but given the long passages I am ok with this. I was lucky enough to get about 5 T/F/CT passages though.

QR 890
    Quite a lot of multi-step questions but nothing to complicated. I encountered 1 passage with confusing data/questions but besides that my experience was quite similar to most others in that this section is easier than in the mocks.

AR 860
    I always felt that this was my worst section but today most patterns seemed straight forward. I think there was only one set with a conditional but lots of odd/even, triangle above or under circle, ...

SJT Band 1
    Quite pleases as all my mocks were band 2. This section seems to be the same as in all the mocks though.

I prepared for about 1 month working through all the 1000Q and Medify questions before attempting all the mocks in the past week.
    That's just incredible. How did you prepare for AR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvk19.)
    Hi guys, I have my exam at 8:00 in the morning next week and I'm not a morning sort of person-do u think the time of the exam matters? Please reply x
    I had mine early in the morning last year and this year went for 11.30. I think it's better but it's probably too late to change for you. Just try to get enough rest and get there in plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    That's just incredible. How did you prepare for AR?
    Honestly just do a lot of practice questions. The more you do the better. I found medify to be a good representation of the real thing.

Also (this might be obvious to a lot of people but took me a while and I got a lot better once I started doing this ) try comparing different images in one set to each other in order to find common points and then try to see if the opposite is true for the other set. I started out by first comparing say image 1 in set A to image 1 in set B to find differences but when I started comparing images in one set to each other I found it easier to find the rules and my score did increase a bit in mocks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.