• Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple pie)
    So, what would you recommend?
    Uni based PGCE or school direct based PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The issue with asking it is that people are all going to say the one that they're doing since they don't actually have experience of the other. They are both very very similar though. Our school direct people just have the occasional lecture at their school instead of at uni with the rest of us. Same content, just a different setting and there's a lot of responsibility from day one. I personally prefer the PGCE (well PGDE because we're doing an extra 60 credit module) but there's difference between every PGCE course and every school direct course so it's better to compare the actual courses.

I'm PGCE and I'm in on Mondays for either subject knowledge or wider context and then the rest of the week is in my school. It's a nice way of doing it because it gives us the chance to engage and share and peer mark each others folders.

(Original post by Ratchit99)
    Had my first proper post lesson cry today. Y7 lesson just went terribly, mentor said i hadnt done proper AFL and talked too much, and at the end the kids still hadnt got the hang of formulas in spreadsheets, feeling kind of gutted and kind of like I failed but i get that we just have lessons like that. Live and learn and hopefully next weeks lesson will be better
    Don't worry. It's going to happen to us all. What're they struggling with? I'm teaching the exact same thing at the moment and mine are picking it up so if you need any advice/help with resources or someone to talk to then you can message me.

(Original post by Airfairy)
    Ugh I had the worst lesson ever today. The kids just didn't have a clue what I was trying to do and it didn't work at all. I really need to turn things around for them next lesson and get back on track. I felt so crappy afterwards. Just when you know you've done a rubbish lesson and you can't get it out of your mind
    *hugs* again, it happens and you'll learn from it. Just remember to reflect on what happened and work from there.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    What subject are you teaching?

Personally I'm on the uni based side. I found it very helpful and important to have that uni network surrounding me. I was being taught by a huge range of experts with so much to offer. I feel it's important to have that really solid grounding in theory and an opportunity to learn about all the different approaches, not just what is popular in your school at the moment. I think high quality out of school training to complement the school based training (which is of course incredibly important- you need to get stuck in to build confidence and become good at it!) is vital. The theory side gives you a lot of time to become a reflective practitioner and this high level of training allows for lifelong learning, teachers who improve throughout their career.

Having said that, some school direct programmes do buy in to most of the programme at the local uni making them very similar in practice. This is where it becomes important to look closely at what each course offers. Some don't have much of the personal development stuff which I personally found very important. I still think the network of other trainees is really helpful too though!

And after all that, there is also an element of the format which suits you best. While I still think lots of uni input is good, there might be other benefits of being school based which could balance it out! I'll let someone else sing those virtues

I'll also note, there are many excellent teachers coming out of both routes.

Hug!

It is horrible. But you're right, it does get better once you get in and have a good day again.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm computing with IT. Theoretically I should have lots of options but I'm running out of ideas already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)

Don't worry. It's going to happen to us all. What're they struggling with? I'm teaching the exact same thing at the moment and mine are picking it up so if you need any advice/help with resources or someone to talk to then you can message
    Thanks hun, i think i just aimed the work too high. This was a bottom set group and they were just solving the maths problems i wanted them to write formula for themselves (a failure of my explanation i think) so im going to go back to basics next week and work through creating formulae with them and get them to come up and do it infront of the rest of the class!
    As you say, it gets better and I've learnt from it so things can only get better!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hun, i think i just aimed the work too high. This was a bottom set group and they were just solving the maths problems i wanted them to write formula for themselves (a failure of my explanation i think) so im going to go back to basics next week and work through creating formulae with them and get them to come up and do it infront of the rest of the class!
    As you say, it gets better and I've learnt from it so things can only get better!
    If it makes you feel any better, some of the pupils in my mentors class were using their whiteboards to work out the maths too until I noticed and corrected them so it happens with experience teachers too.

I made a pirate worksheet using cell references and map co-ordinates for treasure and they loved it. It just explained the basics of always using "=" to tell excel what's about to happen and such and then gave them room to play around a bit with +, -, / and *. Walk them through a couple slowly and they pick it up once they realise it'll make their lives easier.

I have a really mixed ability group. Some were still working on the basics while others were using functions and it's really hard to differentiate without anyone getting bored

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i think next week im going to get some giant functjons on the board and get them to go through them with me and go from there. Ive got a week to plan a nice accessible lesson for them thatll cover my requirements for AFL and class involvement so hopefully ill pull something out of my ass, got to plan a year 9 adobe fireworks refresher too though!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i think next week im going to get some giant functjons on the board and get them to go through them with me and go from there. Ive got a week to plan a nice accessible lesson for them thatll cover my requirements for AFL and class involvement so hopefully ill pull something out of my ass, got to plan a year 9 adobe fireworks refresher too though!
    I've been told to incorporate fireworks into my excel module and I have no idea how to use it so that should be fun :/

ReputationRep:
    Eerp, yeah not sure how youd do that! This is for y9 cambridge nationals coursework as theyre about to start on their graphic manipulation.
    Only thing i can think is if you do some sort of flyer for promotion based on a costing spreadsheet, or perhaps use fireworks to create graphics which you can then insert on a spreadsheet that you want to look nice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Eerp, yeah not sure how youd do that! This is for y9 cambridge nationals coursework as theyre about to start on their graphic manipulation.
    Only thing i can think is if you do some sort of flyer for promotion based on a costing spreadsheet, or perhaps use fireworks to create graphics which you can then insert on a spreadsheet that you want to look nice?
    Well I think I'm making it about a sweet shop so they could probably do some sort of logo or banner for the shop as part of it? I think my mentor is just testing to see what I can do before I cry and hide under a table in the staff room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Well I think I'm making it about a sweet shop so they could probably do some sort of logo or banner for the shop as part of it? I think my mentor is just testing to see what I can do before I cry and hide under a table in the staff room
    I do wonder whether thats their secret aim!!
    Maybe its a reciprocal thing, theyre scary and challenging to us so when we are mentors we in turn do the same to our students

ReputationRep:
    I have read this thread from start to finish over the past few months, and its scaring (and motivating!) me for my PGCE next year... if I get a place.

I was just wondering if you had any interview tips, or which topics came up in your interviews when you applied? Or what skills / qualities you think are important in a teacher since starting your own PGCE. Because of all the curriculum changes I am wondering if the interviewers will quiz me on my knowledge of the new curriculum which will be in place when I start.

I haven't been offered any interviews yet as I only sent my application off yesterday, but on the PGCE 2015 thread it seems people are getting interview offers with only 1-2 weeks notice, and I would like to be prepared! I will be applying for Secondary English (two uni-led routes) and a School Direct placement - so any tips for either application process would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, and good luck with your PGCEs as from what I've gathered from this thread is that the first couple of months are the hardest

ReputationRep:
    I teach my first proper lesson today, from start to finish. I'm as prepared as I'll ever be, but unbelievably nervous!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveunicorns)
    I have read this thread from start to finish over the past few months, and its scaring (and motivating!) me for my PGCE next year... if I get a place.

I was just wondering if you had any interview tips, or which topics came up in your interviews when you applied? Or what skills / qualities you think are important in a teacher since starting your own PGCE. Because of all the curriculum changes I am wondering if the interviewers will quiz me on my knowledge of the new curriculum which will be in place when I start.

I haven't been offered any interviews yet as I only sent my application off yesterday, but on the PGCE 2015 thread it seems people are getting interview offers with only 1-2 weeks notice, and I would like to be prepared! I will be applying for Secondary English (two uni-led routes) and a School Direct placement - so any tips for either application process would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, and good luck with your PGCEs as from what I've gathered from this thread is that the first couple of months are the hardest
    Hey.

Just before posting I'll note that we aren't allowed to share details of specific interviews on here. I didn't realise this and got caught out before!

However we can share general advice on interviewing.

I would say that in general, they aren't looking for a fully formed teacher who knows everything. They are looking for someone who has the perseverance and passion to get through it, can be highly reflective and is getting in to it for the right reasons. Show that you are open to ideas and want to learn.

Also have a think about the experience you've gained so far and reflect on it. What are the key things you've noticed? Is there any particular situation or child who stood out to you? This will give you some ideas for various questions they could ask you and show you have really thought about what you learned from your experience.

I'm not saying to learn these things by heart, in fact, I don't like to over prepare for interviews as I feel insincere if I've practised an answer. But just make sure you have reflected so it will just take a few moments in interview to recall your thoughts. Don't be afraid to briefly think about your answer for questions where needed, especially "tell me about when" or "what would you do if" questions. It's perfectly reasonable to consider what you would do/chose an example.

Also don't panic if you get any catch-22 questions. Remember, they aren't looking for someone with a perfect answer to everything. They're looking for the thought process that can let them help you become a great teacher.

Good luck!

Xxx

Edit: One thing I would perhaps prepare is some questions for them, if you have any?

Oh also, try to remain relatively neutral. It's ok to have views and show you've thought about things but an interview is not the place to complain that you hate the education secretary or that you think the teacher you observed did an awful job at behaviour management. Pick up the good things.

And also, I wouldn't worry too much about the curriculum. Get an idea of the sort of changes that have happened and a rough overview of the things you'll be expected to teach, but they won't expect you to know it by heart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveunicorns)

Don't worry too much about other people. I had interviews for all of my places by Christmas, and had an offer by February. In the end, it all fell through and I got a place at a totally different institution in late July! This ended up being the best thing for me so don't spend too much time thinking about what has been right for other people. You've got your application in nice and early which is a great start.

What I think was helpful for me was to make my passion and interests clear in my interview. They really aren't looking for a fully-packaged ready-made teacher. There is a lot of stuff on the internet though, so looking at that might be good. Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    That's my first lesson done and dusted. Now to go plan a load more.

ReputationRep:
    I have my first official observation tomorrow 😣 I'm so nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So who else is putting an extra 12 hours per day on their Christmas list this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    I have my first official observation tomorrow I'm so nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. What are you teaching?

(Original post by Mr CS)
    So who else is putting an extra 12 hours per day on their Christmas list this year?
    Me! If only this were possible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine. What are you teaching?
    Thank you, I know it will be fine too, I've had some good unofficial observations. But, it's still scary!
    I'm teaching literacy to KS1. We are doing firework onomatopoeia
    How is your training going? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Thank you, I know it will be fine too, I've had some good unofficial observations. But, it's still scary!
    I'm teaching literacy to KS1. We are doing firework onomatopoeia
    How is your training going? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds like a lot of fun and very appropriate for bonfire night! I'm also in ks1, haven't done any proper teaching yet though. I'm dying to get in front of the class so I'm going to have a chat with my teacher at the end of this week about what I can do next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    That sounds like a lot of fun and very appropriate for bonfire night! I'm also in ks1, haven't done any proper teaching yet though. I'm dying to get in front of the class so I'm going to have a chat with my teacher at the end of this week about what I can do next week!
    Are you school direct or core pgce? I've been teaching whole class stuff since about week three. But it's only been since the beginning of October that I've planned my own stuff.
    There are pros and cons to both being thrown in and having to wait. For instance, I am really enjoying the amount of experience im getting, but at the same time, I feel a little used as I'm often having to cover the class with little instruction as the class teacher is pulled out to deal with another class. On those occasions, I'm a little worried that I'm going to get bad habits and not realise as there's no one watching me to pull me up. But the lessons in which I've done all the planning and have the class teacher there, I know that I'll get feedback.
    X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys reckon its a good idea writing a bit of reflection after each lesson I teach?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.