Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a printer (what is this 'sharing' you speak of?) and it's an absolute beast.

I'll need to recruit the whole JCR to move it. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mai-)
    um... I'm not quite finished yet, but it's looking like it will be 3 suitcases, 4 ikea bags, 5 (smallish) boxes, 2 rucksacks and a couple of portfolios. Oh, and a bike. And a clothes horse. And a rug.
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    On an actually practical note, what was the consensus on how much people were bringing (besides 'oh my goodness so much')? I've just almost filled two suitcases, but bringing a third just for a dinner suit, glasses and lots of alcohol feels like a bit much.
    Woah, ok those are two very different amounts! As it stands right now I'm bringing 1 hiking rucksack (size of a small suitcase), 1 guitar, 1 printer, 1 mini-fridge, 4 bags for life (full of stuff), 3 laundry baskets (full of stuff) and 2 cardboard boxes (full of stuff). And a bike. I don't know what to leave behind! This is ridiculous!

I mean, we'll only be away fro home for two months. Last year I was away from home for three months, and I had two suitcases worth of stuff and a guitar. Arrrrrrgh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    Woah, ok those are two very different amounts! As it stands right now I'm bringing 1 hiking rucksack (size of a small suitcase), 1 guitar, 1 printer, 1 mini-fridge, 4 bags for life (full of stuff), 3 laundry baskets (full of stuff) and 2 cardboard boxes (full of stuff). And a bike. I don't know what to leave behind! This is ridiculous!

I mean, we'll only be away fro home for two months. Last year I was away from home for three months, and I had two suitcases worth of stuff and a guitar. Arrrrrrgh!
    Don't worry, my post was a status report rather than finished description. At the moment I have four full suitcases, alcohol and a kettle. It's unimaginably reassuring to know that I don't have way more than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahyahrah)
    I'm taking a printer (what is this 'sharing' you speak of?) and it's an absolute beast.
    Same, mine's massive! It's cause I have one with a scanner included... to be fair, I do use that function a lot but it's such a pain to move!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahyahrah)

I'll need to recruit the whole JCR to move it. :|
    Glad I'm not the only one - chunky old laser printer which the school no longer wanted (and with good reason)

Urgh seems I've been a bit naive about packing, having only just started today. Found - and thrown out - 10+ old T-shirts, am missing quite a lot, and I'm probably packing far more than I'll need. Dang... frantic shopping tomorrow.
    And I have no idea what books to bring! I only know about one History module and I can only second-guess English.
    And I'm not sure if my sub-fusc suit is dark enough!
    </rant>

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, my post was a status report rather than finished description. At the moment I have four full suitcases, alcohol and a kettle. It's unimaginably reassuring to know that I don't have way more than everyone else.
    Yes, I thought I was some hoarding beast, like Smaug in his lair with the gold and the stuff. To be fair, some of the stuff I probably won't use - I've brought a CD wallet full of DVDs, a tarot card set and a cushion shaped like a carrot. But it's mainly useful stuff. Folders and sheets take up so much space!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thurin)
    Glad I'm not the only one - chunky old laser printer which the school no longer wanted (and with good reason)

Urgh seems I've been a bit naive about packing, having only just started today. Found - and thrown out - 10+ old T-shirts, am missing quite a lot, and I'm probably packing far more than I'll need. Dang... frantic shopping tomorrow.
    And I have no idea what books to bring! I only know about one History module and I can only second-guess English.
    And I'm not sure if my sub-fusc suit is dark enough!
    </rant>
    Firstly, don't worry - I started packing a week ago and I still only got finished today. More time just made it more stressful.

Secondly, don't buy stuff! Oxford is a city, it has a LOT of shops, and Boswells is having a huge student sale thing where everything (I'm talking kitchen stuff, clothes horses, kettles etc) is really cheap.

PS Regarding which books to bring, why not have a look at the lecture list? That's how i found out I'd only need Plays, Films and Medieval German stuff. It means I can leave behind all my books and secondary reading for Poetry, Philosophy and Prose. (I do German, if it's not apparent). You have lectures on what you study that term.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I thought I was some hoarding beast, like Smaug in his lair with the gold and the stuff. To be fair, some of the stuff I probably won't use - I've brought a CD wallet full of DVDs, a tarot card set and a cushion shaped like a carrot. But it's mainly useful stuff. Folders and sheets take up so much space!
    Oh god, I haven't even thought about stuff like stationery yet. But my alcohol suitcase is ready.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, don't worry - I started packing a week ago and I still only got finished today. More time just made it more stressful.
    Perhaps I shouldn't have left it this late though! Never mind.

Secondly, don't buy stuff! Oxford is a city, it has a LOT of shops, and Boswells is having a huge student sale thing where everything (I'm talking kitchen stuff, clothes horses, kettles etc) is really cheap.
    Ah, thanks for the advice But on the other hand, if I get it now my parents pay for (some of) it
    Need to decide do I take my miniminimini-fits-about-4-cans-fridge, or rent one from college? Ah decisions.

PS Regarding which books to bring, why not have a look at the lecture list? That's how i found out I'd only need Plays, Films and Medieval German stuff. It means I can leave behind all my books and secondary reading for Poetry, Philosophy and Prose. (I do German, if it's not apparent). You have lectures on what you study that term.
    Genius, will do. You must be going to Oxford or something...

ReputationRep:
    Same, mine's massive! It's cause I have one with a scanner included... to be fair, I do use that function a lot but it's such a pain to move!
    Haha same. Mine's one of those scanner ones too!

If I have to lug it up some stairs I'll go crazy!

ReputationRep:

Not to freak you out.... but that is not always the case.

Different subjects differ, but for PPE just because the lectures are in Michaelmas, doesn't mean that's when your tutes on the subject will be.

I have PPE friends who had to attend Logic lectures in MT, but had tutes in TT (so a whole term's gap). Others had Macroeconomic lectures in HT, with tutes in TT.

You may know for sure for your course.

ReputationRep:
    As an international student I'm getting pretty jealous of you guys, why can't I have an alcohol suitcase?! Might invest some money in the tax free tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I haven't even thought about stuff like stationery yet. But my alcohol suitcase is ready.
    Stationary is such a space hog! Luckily you can fit things like scissors, glue sticks, hole punch in the corners which are empty.

Also, as I'm tea-total I'm bringing practically no alcohol. I've just got two bottles (one of German wine, one of Bacardi) which I got as presents. I am so happy to finally have some use for them!

Everyone, this is such a relief! I'm not some materlialistic swine! Or, rather, I am but at least I'm not alone.

ReputationRep:
    People tend to bring a lot the first time. It takes a while to work out what you can get away with not bringing. So I wouldn't worry about that.

That said I'll be moving in for the umpteenth time next week, and I still feel like I'm bringing too much crap. :\

ReputationRep:
    ....what is this packing everyone speaks of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasmask)
    ....what is this packing everyone speaks of?
    So true... I've just got a pile of stuff in my room...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    I haven't packed yet ... I just have a large pile in the corner of my bedroom. I'm taking a cello and a guitar, so other than that it'll probably just be what else my mum and I can fit in the car with us.
    Guitar-five! What kind of guitar is it? Does it have a name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    It's a pretty basic acoustic, I got it years ago from my mum's friend when her daughter stopped playing - I'm not very good, but it'll be useful to be able to have a musical instrument easily accessible as the cello's a bit unwieldy!

I usually name everything (the cello is Henry) but now you mention it my guitar is nameless! I assume yours has one?
    Acoustic is good - much more practical than an electric. I have a couple of guitars and had a hard time deciding which one to take but in the end I went for my favourite, an electro-acoustic. <3

Henry's a sweet name - any particular reason for it? And yes, I usually name all my guitars though it can take a while. There's Kerewin (the one I'm taking), Maria, Baby, Seyton and Sid. Some of the names are quite stupid but I can't exactly change them now!

ReputationRep:
    Packed(ish) :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Packed(ish) :smug:
    Same, including the ish. Now I have to sort through all my stuff to move rooms at home on Sunday, since I'm meeting TSR people tomorrow. And I'm sure I'll spend the next three days periodically dashing to the five suitcases downstairs to add something crucial. Ah well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.