This discussion is closed.
ameliestia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anaiza)
what are the differences between a cholinergic synapse and a neuromuscular junction
cholinergic synapses are just a specific example of a synapse, to instead of a general neurotransmitter, its a neurotransmitter called ACh.

also they have cleft in the post synaptic membrane which contain AChE to break down ACh so it can be reabsorbed by the presynaptic membrane
pinkfairyarmadillo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anaiza)
what are the differences between a cholinergic synapse and a neuromuscular junction
A cholinergic synapse uses acetylcholine as its neurotransmitter, so does a neuromuscular junction so a neuromuscular junction is a form of cholinergic synapse.
rommy123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
so glad this exam is in the afternoon, gives me time to go through my notes and past papers in the morning
HeraXD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
has anyone seen an essay plan around for 'importance of shapes fitting together' from june 12 and the 'dna in science and technology' it'd be really helpful!! thanks
master y
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ahmmm)
my sleeping pattern is as ****ed up as tulisa constavovolvolas so ill be getting to sleep around 3 - gotta be up at 6, in college for 8:30 to revise till this exam. ****ed.
it's an afternoon exam thoughgt!
Tikara
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kingster123)
hey do you know the release of calcium ion causes muscle contraction is it cause it binds with troponin ,which gets realesed from the myosin head so that actin can bind and contract
calcium binds to troponin, causing tropomyosin to move and expose the myosin head binding sites

edit: looking above - yeah I forgot to mention Ca2+ activates myosin atpase also
Jake1313
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nati36)
I thought that any bacteria that took the marker gene with the plasmid would be blue?
Well, any bacteria that take up the normal plasmid will be blue. But you are looking for the bacteria which have taken up the recombinant plasmid( the plasmid which has the new gene attached e.g. The insulin gene) which will not be blue.
JacobG
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
anyone have a nice document with lots of plans for essays summarised ?
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Unit 5 content ain't the problem, it's the questions before the essay that want you to remember stuff in unit 1,2 and 4 that annoys me (even though I am well guarded on the essay side of things)!
imawasteman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
should i start revising now i havent done any yet
mbisababe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anjna)
what is the definition of refractory period ??
arp - absolute refractory period....
ABSOLUTELY NO WAY CAN AN ACTION POTENTIAL HAPPEN! Cause theres one already happening

rrp - relative refractory period
youre gonna need a preeeeeety big stimulus for another action potential to happen!

proper definition tho...its basically the time after an action potential has occurred (after excitation). At first it is completely inexcitable (arp) and then less excitable (rrp)
Tikara
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anjna)
what is the definition of refractory period ??
the period when Na+ channels are closed, so the axon membrane cannot be depolarised and an action potential behind the last one is not achieved.
I think it's about 0.2 ms long
imawasteman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
and what are they gonna make us write about in the essay wat do i need to revise
safis
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What topics could you use for ATP in regards to dreaded essay?
mbisababe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm thinking the essay may be on ATP...an essay on that topic hasnt come up yet and it seems the most logical thing to have a question on next...any other ideas?
ameliestia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by imawasteman)
and what are they gonna make us write about in the essay wat do i need to revise
pretty sure we're all gunning for atp here
Anjna
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what is the function/role of corpus luteum ?
LitGeek94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jake1313)
Changes shape of troponin, this moves the tropomyosin filament, exposing the myosin head binding side. Allowing the myosin head to bind.
Remember that calcium ions also activate ATPase, this hydrolyses ATP which is used for returning the myosin head to its original position.
I thought the ATP is used to provide energy for the actin to return to original position after being pulled along by myosin?
kingster123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jake1313)
Changes shape of troponin, this moves the tropomyosin filament, exposing the myosin head binding side. Allowing the myosin head to bind.
Remember that calcium ions also activate ATPase, this hydrolyses ATP which is used for returning the myosin head to its original position.
hey can you also explain the how resting potential is obtained and then an action potentiol .. i know it but cant word properly
thank s
mbisababe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by safis)
What topics could you use for ATP in regards to dreaded essay?
P(l)ASMA...

p - processes (monosaccardies->disaccardies, amino acids->polypeptides etc)
a - active transport (atp changing the shape of the carrier protein)
s - secretion (atp used to make lysosomes that get rid of waste)
m - movement (muscles)
a - activation of molecules (ie reducing activation energy)

also you have other things such as respiration and photosyntheis
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads