Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Ahhhh absolutely loved it! I think this is the first time since Tennant where I've actually thought an episode was genius and enjoyed watching it :woo: :woo: :woo:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    I didn't find it lame or predictable.

Its a genius plot twist cause many wouldn't of predicted it imo.

As for the shows history? They had female time lords/ladies in the classic series! Why do you hate the idea of a female master so much? Would you be outraged it the master was gay or black?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In fairness I think a lot of people did predict that missy = mistress = female master. Still a good twist though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wow, good episode. Honestly thought it was River until the end.

Preferred the Old Master though, shame he's regenerated.

ReputationRep:
    What annoys the most about Missy being the Master is that she doesn't behave like The Master she doesn't seem strong and powerful like He did, it is possible for the master to be portrayed by a woman but not in such a flirtatious manner and ridiculous manner.Compare Missy to the Classic Masters and you will see how big a change they have done its ridiculous.The Master is The Doctor's greatest enemy and vice versa The Master can't act as if The Doctor is her boyfriend because its against the character for that to happen.The Master if He became female would be a lot more like Miss Foster in Partners in Crime this Master doesn't make herself seem powerful and strong and doesn't seem deranged and made enough and seems to enjoy pleasures such as tea,jokes,flirty comments etc.Its like they have literally created the Missy character and decided lets say she is The Master, you could have said She was any timelord and it would make as much sense as that revelation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    In fairness I think a lot of people did predict that missy = mistress = female master. Still a good twist though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess, I loved the episode in general tbh, cybermen are good and so is the master!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)

John Simms master was dying through the end of time anyway - I'm more bothered about how he's come back this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good until the ****e reveal. They shouldn't have given away the Cybermen in the preview for the episode. It meant that everyone was looking for them and once you'd worked out that those skeletons were the Cybermen it was pretty poor from then on.

The whole master thing was basically the first theory that anyone came up with after the first episode. Just didn't really feel like a good reveal as it had been predicted countless times.

I think Moffat just gave away too much too early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

I thought it was River too, I really hope they bring her back at some point. I think her and Capaldi's characters would work together.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by pursuedbyabear)
    I thought it was River too, I really hope they bring her back at some point. I think her and Capaldi's character would work together.
    Same here. I was waiting for her to say "spoilers" or something to imply that it was her

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    What annoys the most about Missy being the Master is that she doesn't behave like The Master she doesn't seem strong and powerful like He did, it is possible for the master to be portrayed by a woman but not in such a flirtatious manner and ridiculous manner.Compare Missy to the Classic Masters and you will see how big a change they have done its ridiculous.The Master is The Doctor's greatest enemy and vice versa The Master can't act as if The Doctor is her boyfriend because its against the character for that to happen.The Master if He became female would be a lot more like Miss Foster in Partners in Crime this Master doesn't make herself seem powerful and strong and doesn't seem deranged and made enough and seems to enjoy pleasures such as tea,jokes,flirty comments etc.Its like they have literally created the Missy character and decided lets say she is The Master, you could have said She was any timelord and it would make as much sense as that revelation.
    I totally agree. Steven Moffat is generally terrible at writing female characters which is why i didn't want missy to be the master.

She was too jokey and flirty. I'm hoping we see a more evil, menacing side but I have my doubts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norin)
    Same here. I was waiting for her to say "spoilers" or something to imply that it was her

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We can hope. He has mentioned River in passing (can't remember what episode), but that might just be me over-analysing - The Name of the Doctor seems to make things final

ReputationRep:
    That was a rather fantastic episode.

Having read the previous posts here, of course the exoskeleton and windows thing was a dead giveaway, especially since we'd seen cybers in the preview.

I still managed to completely miss them and have them take me by surprise

Missy being the master, on the other hand, was less of a surprise. I was pretty sure she was either the master or possibly the Rani.

And there's no canonical issue with a time lord changing gender. It had long been speculated that it was possible, and in the Doctor's Wife, we were told that the Corsair used to change gender :dontknow:

Looking forward to next week, and really hoping they don't mess it up :puppyeyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by pursuedbyabear)
    We can hope. He has mentioned River in passing (can't remember what episode), but that might just be me over-analysing - The Name of the Doctor seems to make things final
    I'll hope with you then. And if she doesn't make a return, she'll always be alive in our memories. (I took it too far)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    So it would be possible for a quite old married time lord with a family to regenerate into a toddler of the opposite gender?? Visible age change is possible in regenerations as we saw form the transition to capaldi and so is gender change.
    We kind of see that they regenerate based on their situation and what is most useful for them at the time...so while the potential is there, the chance of that happening is minimal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    So it would be possible for a quite old married time lord with a family to regenerate into a toddler of the opposite gender?? Visible age change is possible in regenerations as we saw form the transition to capaldi and so is gender change.
    I don't think I have seen any regenerations into children I don't think it is possible once timelords have effectively grown up(usually occurs in first incarnation not for River though She died when still young so regenerated into a child) they must regenerate into an adult I think, surely they would have to or their brains would explode with all their timelords knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    I'd kinda assumed she was the Master a few weeks ago. Good twist though, I think it's a great cast.

And to all those moaning, please stop. She's menacing, and clearly has a plan, which is an interesting change from the deranged psychopath of Simm's Master. (not that I didn't love him, but change is good!)

(the below relates to previous rumours concerning the actor playing the Master would be)

Part of me kinda wishes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Charles Dance was the Master though. I'd got a little excited about it! Regeneration + set up for Charles Dance vs Peter Capaldi Christmas episode would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh today's episode was so good! I wish the next part was Tommorow instead, do not think I can go another week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see the point of the female master twist. Like it adds nothing to the show, other than throwing a bone to the make a female doctor crowd. Left a lot of questions to answer, hope there is enough time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitepower)
    I just don't see the point of the female master twist. Like it adds nothing to the show, other than throwing a bone to the make a female doctor crowd. Left a lot of questions to answer, hope there is enough time.
    If it were a guy people might have guessed he was the master, more surprising this way

ReputationRep:
    I found that episode to be alright. The problem is that it's part of a two-parter so normally the first episode is a set up for the next yet the Cybermen were given away in the previews so a lot of the time I was just waiting for something to happen rather than be intrigued by who was behind it. I am glad that they didn't keep with Clara being angry at the Doctor due to the fact that he wouldn't try and save him (I thought this might happen as Clara and the Doctor had the argument by the volcano coupled with the promos for this episode).

The Missi reveal wasn't a surprise as it was one of the theories flying about yet I thought it was River Song due to the fact that Missi (at that moment in time) was a computer and I thought River may have tried to upload her conciousness (from Silence in the Libary episodes) to it and once again coupled with the fact that she kissed him as well as calling the Doctor her boyfriend (which makes no sense now) in one of the earlier episodes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.