Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahimbasar)
    I think what hes trying to say is when theyve both retired and people debate who the GOAT is, assuming Rafa wins a few more GS, theyll point to his superior head to head.
    Until then I guess we'll just have to wait, but how can you possibly say that head to heads are the only way to look at a players performance during their career?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33815902

Congrats to Andy & Kim :congrats: but still a bit weird imagining Andy as a father haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    It's difficult to even begin to label someone as the greatest of all time, because tennis has evolved so dramatically over the years, and there's no way of telling how well people would have competed in different eras. I think guys like Rod Laver were amazing, and he managed to win the Calendar Year Grand Slam (twice) - something which no man has done since. Steffi Graff was the last woman to do so in 1988 (and Serena at last has a chance to join that elite list). Back in the '60s, pros weren't allowed to compete in Amateur Slams, so for all we know Laver could have knocked up another 9 or 10 Slams and have the all-time record. Federer, Nadal and now Djokovic are all on the list of All-Time Greats (and I would definitely place them in that order given their accomplishments, consistency/longevity, etc.)
    Agreed, Federer is obviously open era GOAT 17 > 14/14 > 11 > 9

Nadals place at 2. Is at Risk.

Djokovic is better on Slow Hard, Indoor and Grass, after capturing US Open 2015 Novak will be better than Nadal on 4/5 surfaces.

Nadal has never had 2 3slam seasons!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Maybe, maybe not. Only person who knows for sure is Djokovic. In my opinion he's played better matches against Rafa, hence why I said he wasn't 100% and his mental approach was certainly lacking too which seems to again show her was less than 100%. Either way I think Djokovic is the more natural hard court player and a 100% Djokovic would beat a 100% Rafa but that's just in my humble opinion
    Djokovic is one verge of becoming a 10 time slam champion, he is more likely to surpass Federer than Nadal is, patience has been key for Novak his h2h with Fed at one time was 14-6 and now it's at a respectable 20-20 his h2h with Nadal was 14-4 before fighting back once again to almost level it out at 23-21, Novak has chance to lead h2h with everyone this year his career has been nothing but extraordinary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    Are you saying nadal is better than federer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nadal is not better than Federer 14 of Nadals 23 victories came on Clay, agreed that Fed cannot redeem himself now in this rivalry, but Nadal hardly met Federer at Fast tournaments like Cincy, U.S. Open 2006,07,08,09. basically Federer was good enough to make it deep enough to meet Nadal on his favourite surface clay but Nadal failed to meet fed enough times on Feds favourite surface. Also don't forget 9/14 slams are on clay, Nadal has never won 2 slams atlesst 3 times, even Novak has !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kyrgios really is a clown man. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...s-need-grow-up

ReputationRep:
    Nadal hit some cracking shots yesterday!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kyrgios is entertaining, though. He is really bizarre, but he's enigmatic and he's a character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Kyrgios is entertaining, though. He is really bizarre, but he's enigmatic and he's a character.
    He's a f*cking nob.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like him.

ReputationRep:
    I like him.
    There's something seriously wrong with you then. The guy has no respect whatsoever for his fellow opponents.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Smash50)
    There's something seriously wrong with you then. The guy has no respect whatsoever for his fellow opponents.
    He's clearly an idiot for those comments today, but the kid's a character. Half the people his age - across the world - share those characteristics: brashness, bullishness, self-confidence, controversy.

He needs to curb his attitude and learn that less is more, of course. But, he's unique. So many players - from across all sports, not just tennis - are just non-entities and anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    The ATP, as implored by Stan, should really take strong action against Kyrgios. **** all the bull**** journalism about him being a 'character', what he did yesterday was so ****ing low it's unimaginable.

However, sounds like all the ATP gave him is a fine and an admonishment. Pathetic. He'll keep doing this again and again.

ReputationRep:
    He's clearly an idiot for those comments today, but the kid's a character. Half the people his age - across the world - share those characteristics: brashness, bullishness, self-confidence, controversy.

He needs to curb his attitude and learn that less is more, of course. But, he's unique. So many players - from across all sports, not just tennis - are just non-entities and anonymous.
    Erm, no they don't. A typical 20 year old doesn't disrespect fellow colleagues, and they are mature enough to know what's right and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    The ATP, as implored by Stan, should really take strong action against Kyrgios. **** all the bull**** journalism about him being a 'character', what he did yesterday was so ****ing low it's unimaginable.

However, sounds like all the ATP gave him is a fine and an admonishment. Pathetic. He'll keep doing this again and again.
    I think you need to chill out. Kyrgios is a great character, much more interesting than the likes of Federer and Nadal who are dull and boring and don't do anything controversial because they desperately want to be "liked".

ReputationRep:
    Kyrgios is just immature, hopefully he can move past this - you hear these kind of comments in secondary schools, and players like Djokovic have already condemned him, saying that there are some things you keep to yourself. Great personalities were people like JMac and Connors, and I don't remember them making these types of comments tbh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kyrgios' brother wading into the row now and doing the Australia no favours whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    I think you need to chill out. Kyrgios is a great character, much more interesting than the likes of Federer and Nadal who are dull and boring and don't do anything controversial because they desperately want to be "liked".
    So having great character means being deliberately abrasive and personally offensive to fellow players? You don't have to be a rabble rousing prick to be a great character. The fact that Federer and Nadal don't go around getting up in the grill of other players doesn't make them boring, they're just absolute professionals in the way they play the sport, and how they act in the spotlight.

Also, both of them have made plenty of comments and done things controversial in their careers. Hardly borne out of a non-existent compulsion to be liked. See: Federer's various clashes with Djokovic, Nadal's with Soderling etc. Difference being they didn't air dirty laundry in public and drag other players into the controversy as well,

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm a nole supporter i felt bad watching Nadal get destroyed yesterday by kei.
    Especially when Rafa was getting pumped when he was a set and 2 breaks down at 4-1.
    Who else felt this way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rkai01)
    Even though I'm a nole supporter i felt bad watching Nadal get destroyed yesterday by kei.
    Especially when Rafa was getting pumped when he was a set and 2 breaks down at 4-1.
    Who else felt this way?
    It's sad to see a great on his way down however i do love Kei (reminds me of Hewitt with the agility) and i hope he bends Murray and his fanboys over.

Cinci draw has a Fedal QF.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.