Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackPalfers)
    Seen people saying they have had a Reed Smith rejection/offer, I still haven't heard anything since I got my strengths assessment report back. Anyone else in the same boat? Not sure if its a good or bad thing.
    In the same boat! Completed the Strengths Assessment and received a report back. Assuming its a bad thing, but you can never tell.

ReputationRep:
    Random question: are graduate recruitment at law firms under any sort of internal pressure to recruit from vacation schemes?

I ask because one lady I was talking to mentioned in passing that she liked to recruit mainly from vacation schemes so she could 'prove that they were worthwhile'.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    Random question: are graduate recruitment at law firms under any sort of internal pressure to recruit from vacation schemes?

I ask because one lady I was talking to mentioned in passing that she liked to recruit mainly from vacation schemes so she could 'prove that they were worthwhile'.
    Yes. You have to prove that it's worth the financial (both direct and indirect costs) and time investment (the later is probably much more significant).

But that could be said of most graduate recruitment activities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes. You have to prove that it's worth the financial (both direct and indirect costs) and time investment (the later is probably much more significant).

But that could be said of most graduate recruitment activities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's interesting - the way she said it, it sounded like she would get into trouble if not enough people were taken on from the vacation scheme!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence18)
    I decided to fly for all of them since they offer you around 100-150 for expenses anyway. I guess that if there is only an interview you could arrange to do it via phone. Slaughter and May offered this arrangement and I guess that it is not the only one out there.
    Thanks! I'm in Asia so wouldn't quite be covered by expenses :P. Reckon its worth emailing the firm? (BLP btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooly1)
    Wow - absolute car crash of a vid interview for B&B. Well, thats one less you guys will have to worry about

Good luck for your entries all.
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think (that's what I'm telling myself anyway!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_floyd)
    Thanks! I'm in Asia so wouldn't quite be covered by expenses :P. Reckon its worth emailing the firm? (BLP btw)
    Auch! I understand!

Yes definitely worth explaining the situation with the firm, maybe even give them a ring.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone interviewed at MoFo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_floyd)
    I empathise. Most firms would offer phone or skype interviews instead, but unfortunately BLP isnt one of them. When I ringed them they specifically said they dont offer any alternatives and the only way is for the candidate to fly in and attend the assessment day. I thought it was a bit harsh but I came anyway haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wodus92)
    I empathise. Most firms would offer phone or skype interviews instead, but unfortunately BLP isnt one of them. When I ringed them they specifically said they dont offer any alternatives and the only way is for the candidate to fly in and attend the assessment day. I thought it was a bit harsh but I came anyway haha.
    Wow that's so annoying! Thanks for letting me know. Have you heard back from yours yet? Good luck if not!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I put this in a different thread but noone replied so here goes:

On TC application forms, if you have a question like "Outline/describe your extracurricular activities" , is it better to answer in bullets or full paragraphs?

I usually choose bullets where there is a small word count but now I'm faced with a big one and I'm not so sure which to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcukip)
    Guys, I put this in a different thread but noone replied so here goes:

On TC application forms, if you have a question like "Outline/describe your extracurricular activities" , is it better to answer in bullets or full paragraphs?

I usually choose bullets where there is a small word count but now I'm faced with a big one and I'm not so sure which to choose.
    I do full paragraphs so I can explain fully what those activities include (in terms of teamwork and responsibility etc) and just say "as well as this I do xyz" and "aside from these I also do xyz" that kind of thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sports007)
    I do full paragraphs so I can explain fully what those activities include (in terms of teamwork and responsibility etc) and just say "as well as this I do xyz" and "aside from these I also do xyz" that kind of thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers for your advice. I will certainly give this some more thought.

ReputationRep:
    TLT Manchester anyone?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    That's interesting - the way she said it, it sounded like she would get into trouble if not enough people were taken on from the vacation scheme!
    Trouble is probably too strong a word, but if a recruiter doesn't actually convert their vac schemers into TCs, they are going to questioned as to whether they are any good at their job.

If the standard of the vac schemers is bad, then they get questioned on whether the recruitment process was good enough/valid. If they get loads of people not accepting their offer, they get questioned as to whether they recruited the right people (ie those really interested in the firm) or whether they have been able to put on a "successful" scheme.

Like all jobs, graduate recruiters' performance is assessed. Good performance or success all comes down to the people you recruit.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who attended Nabarro last week for the vac scheme assessment day heard anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwisl02)
    Has anyone who attended Nabarro last week for the vac scheme assessment day heard anything yet?
    Nope!! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard from withers or boodle hatfield post application?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Eversheds in Cardiff? I had my Telephone Interview on Friday and I am anxiously waiting...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, having recently received a training contract offer after several years of trying i've decided to start a blog with helpful hints and tips. I've spent a lot of time on student room myself and found it really useful. Feel free to check it out if you need any help or advice: futuretrainee.wordpress.com

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.