Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvk19.)
    Hi guys, I have my exam at 8:00 in the morning next week and I'm not a morning sort of person-do u think the time of the exam matters? Please reply x
    It is probably a personal preference when to do the exam but in case you stick with that time try to get up and do your mock exams / practice at the same time in the days leading up to it in order to get your body and mind used to being productive at 8. I did this and the real thing just felt like another mock just at somebody else's desk.

And good luck for the exam

ReputationRep:
    So I just did my ukcat and did better than my mocks (Thank God) I got:
    Verbal Reasoning - 600 >.<
    Quantitative Reasoning - 890
    Abstract Reasoning - 750
    SJT - Band 2
    Average - 747

Is my average enough for ukcat heavy Uni's? Specifically Newcastle/Southampton?

Happy to answer revision questions for anyone still to take the exam, good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osnapitzkimmy)
    Abstract Reasoning - 750
    SJT - Band 2
    Average - 747

Happy to answer revision questions for anyone still to take the exam, good luck to you!
    can you elaborate on each section please, and what you did to ace each one
    Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.Khan)
    Hi, just did UKCAT today. I got an average of 733 and total 2200. I've 9 A* and 1A at GCSE and AAABB at AS, though 1 A was General Studies.
    I really want to apply to Newcastle University through their PARTNERS scheme. Is my score good enough for Newcastle?
    Also, what other unis would be worth a look at?
    Thanks
    Yes great score for Newcastle I'm applying there too. And tbf your grades and ukcat are so good probably any uni 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    Newcastle (and Durham)

Barts if you have a low predicted UCAS tariff.

KCl (I think).

If you didn't have 650+ you'd be disadvantaged with edinburgh as well, and manchester. Probably some others as well..
    Durham aren't doing medicine anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    These were my mock scores;
    If anyone needs to compare.

ReputationRep:
    Abstract Reasoning - 750
    SJT - Band 2
    Average - 747

Hi, your score is amazing! I have 4 questions (sorry...) :
    What resources did you use?
    How long did you prep for the exam?
    What sort of topics came up in QR?
    Any tips for VR, QR and AR?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Abstract Reasoning - 750
    SJT - Band 2
    Average - 747

From previous years I know this should be enough for Newcastle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1234567)
    Hi, your score is amazing! I have 4 questions (sorry...) :
    What resources did you use?
    How long did you prep for the exam?
    What sort of topics came up in QR?
    Any tips for VR, QR and AR?

Thank you!
    To begin with I used the 1000q book to get used to the questions/style, but I don't recommend using it as your only resource. After the book I used the official mocks and ukcat ninja. I found that QR and AR were a lot like the questions on ukcat ninja and it offered really helpful explanations and tips for these sections.

I started prep mid August, did about an hour a day then kicked it up to 2-3 hours a day from the last week of August.

QR was a lot of percentage change and find the percentage/ratio of this number etc. Didn't get any conversions weirdly, but got a couple questions on perimeter/speed.

For all sections, if you're struggling guess, flag and move on. This is vital as you will save time. Get used to using keyboard for the calculator for QR, it also saves vital time. Also don't read all the data first for QR, read the question first then find the relevant data. AR practice a lot and write down rules that you see come up a lot. When finding the rules look at the two simplest boxes in a set and compare them, helps to find or rule out 'same shapes/same number in each box' rules quite fast. VR read the question and scan for relevant points in the text. For the comprehension type questions pick an answer you think is most likely the right one and check if it's right based on the passage. Saves time instead of checking every single answer.

Hope this helps you, don't panic and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamly042)
    Honestly just do a lot of practice questions. The more you do the better. I found medify to be a good representation of the real thing.

Also (this might be obvious to a lot of people but took me a while and I got a lot better once I started doing this ) try comparing different images in one set to each other in order to find common points and then try to see if the opposite is true for the other set. I started out by first comparing say image 1 in set A to image 1 in set B to find differences but when I started comparing images in one set to each other I found it easier to find the rules and my score did increase a bit in mocks.
    Thank you so much, that is a really good tip. Will employ it and see how I go. Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Does anyone know how I can improve my QR score? I need help as I am awful at mental arithmetic and currently solely rely on the calculator. I use to keyboard which does speed things up but I still run out of time?

ReputationRep:
    To begin with I used the 1000q book to get used to the questions/style, but I don't recommend using it as your only resource. After the book I used the official mocks and ukcat ninja. I found that QR and AR were a lot like the questions on ukcat ninja and it offered really helpful explanations and tips for these sections.

I started prep mid August, did about an hour a day then kicked it up to 2-3 hours a day from the last week of August.

QR was a lot of percentage change and find the percentage/ratio of this number etc. Didn't get any conversions weirdly, but got a couple questions on perimeter/speed.

For all sections, if you're struggling guess, flag and move on. This is vital as you will save time. Get used to using keyboard for the calculator for QR, it also saves vital time. Also don't read all the data first for QR, read the question first then find the relevant data. AR practice a lot and write down rules that you see come up a lot. When finding the rules look at the two simplest boxes in a set and compare them, helps to find or rule out 'same shapes/same number in each box' rules quite fast. VR read the question and scan for relevant points in the text. For the comprehension type questions pick an answer you think is most likely the right one and check if it's right based on the passage. Saves time instead of checking every single answer.

Hope this helps you, don't panic and good luck!
    you dont even need to pay for ukcat ninja well I havent i just keep clicking practise even after my 100q free limit

ReputationRep:
    Hey, wondering about unis who look at SJT a lot. I got a good average of 750 (VR 590 QR 890 AR 770) but band 3...do you know who will still consider me? I was hoping kings but they said "much less likely to be considered"

ReputationRep:
    Just bought a Medify subscription - what is a "stem"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    you dont even need to pay for ukcat ninja well I havent i just keep clicking practise even after my 100q free limit
    Exactly what I did, don't know why they haven't fixed that yet but hey, it helped me so I'm not complaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Just bought a Medify subscription - what is a "stem"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ie in verbal you'll have 11 passages and 44 items
    a stem contains 1 passage and 4 items

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I did, don't know why they haven't fixed that yet but hey, it helped me so I'm not complaining
    are the mocks accessible free too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    are the mocks accessible free too?
    They were for me, but the questions in them weren't any different from the practice questions so the mocks are a bit useless if you have done all of the practice questions

ReputationRep:
    They were for me, but the questions in them weren't any different from the practice questions so the mocks are a bit useless if you have done all of the practice questions
    ive just blasted through abstract 220/280 already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sciencelover2198)
    Hey, wondering about unis who look at SJT a lot. I got a good average of 750 (VR 590 QR 890 AR 770) but band 3...do you know who will still consider me? I was hoping kings but they said "much less likely to be considered"
    Your average is very good. But yes Kings do look at the Banding.*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.