UEA Accommodation Watch

This discussion is closed.
Miel Purple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
You will hear first but it won't increase your chances of getting your first choice because they make sure its mixed up, so they only hold so many rooms in each hall for unconditionals.
Alright then, UEA really has a fair allocation process...
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Miel Purple)
Alright then, UEA really has a fair allocation process...
Just to add not sure if you were being sarky or not...
It is very fair, its not first come first served so when you get your offer and when you make your decision about which uni to go to doesn't affect your chances of getting your top choice hall and those with conditional offers aren't excluded from certain halls unlike at some unis I've seen (such as Birmingham, where the most popular hall gets filled up almost all with unconditional students)
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just to add not sure if you were being sarky or not...
It is very fair, its not first come first served so when you get your offer and when you make your decision about which uni to go to doesn't affect your chances of getting your top choice hall and those with conditional offers aren't excluded from certain halls unlike at some unis I've seen (such as Birmingham, where the most popular hall gets filled up almost all with unconditional students)
Ok then.
I wasn't being sarcastic. :no:
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Miel Purple)
Ok then.
I wasn't being sarcastic. :no:
Sorry, hard to tell over the computer screen
Wyrm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've attached photos of my room, en-suite, and kitchen in the University Village, if anyone is curious (hopefully they will have uploaded as intended - I'm on mobile). They were taken the day I moved in, hence the unnatural tidiness.

You may also be pleased to learn that the university is apparently installing wi-fi in all residences for September 2014!
Attached files
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wyrm)
I've attached photos of my room, en-suite, and kitchen in the University Village, if anyone is curious (hopefully they will have uploaded as intended - I'm on mobile). They were taken the day I moved in, hence the unnatural tidiness.

You may also be pleased to learn that the university is apparently installing wi-fi in all residences for September 2014!
Wow, look at those cupboards!!! Flashy compared to when I was there

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wyrm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
Wow, look at those cupboards!!! Flashy compared to when I was there

xxx
This is the Lower Village; I believe the rest of the Village still has the older-style kitchen, so I got lucky in that regard. Still no sign of a proper oven though!
Madiallen93
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,

I've recently been accepted into the UEA to do Nursing and I was wondering which accommodation would be best? The website says that choices are limited due to the fact that the term times are a lot longer for nursing students. Is there anyone that can give me some advice on this?

Thaaaanks
CJM13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know whether there is still a good chance of getting accommodation at uni, even if you live in the same city? I've applied to the UEA, and their general message is just that they won't guarantee it to people in my situation.

I'm quite keen to move into halls, the idea of living at home for another year is immensely off-putting.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CJM13)
Does anyone know whether there is still a good chance of getting accommodation at uni, even if you live in the same city? I've applied to the UEA, and their general message is just that they won't guarantee it to people in my situation.

I'm quite keen to move into halls, the idea of living at home for another year is immensely off-putting.
Your very unlikely to get offered a place in halls, certainly not initially anyway. Their is a slim chance they could offer you a last minute place just before or after term starts but I wouldn't bank on it, last year in particular demand far outweighed supply- even people living further away were turned down and no idea how much the new hall they are building will help with that. If you to be sure that you will get to move out you'll need to look for a house- the university has a homerun service which lists properties and they often have househunting days for those who don't get into halls
CJM13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your very unlikely to get offered a place in halls, certainly not initially anyway. Their is a slim chance they could offer you a last minute place just before or after term starts but I wouldn't bank on it, last year in particular demand far outweighed supply- even people living further away were turned down and no idea how much the new hall they are building will help with that. If you to be sure that you will get to move out you'll need to look for a house- the university has a homerun service which lists properties and they often have househunting days for those who don't get into halls
Ah, blast - that doesn't sound promising. From what I gather, my social life is likely to suffer badly if I'm not in halls.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CJM13)
Ah, blast - that doesn't sound promising. From what I gather, my social life is likely to suffer badly if I'm not in halls.
If your in a house with other first years reasonably near the university then no reason why it should suffer. Obviously you won't be living with quite as many people as in halls but you'd still have a starting point and you'd still have the course and societies that would help as well. The main reason why people's social life suffers if they live at home is because at first people tend to stick with the people they live with (although this does change as people meet more people) and if they can't stay out late to go clubbing or take part in society events/socials as these are quite often in the evening. If your in a house near the university it wouldn't make that much of a a difference.
CJM13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If your in a house with other first years reasonably near the university then no reason why it should suffer. Obviously you won't be living with quite as many people as in halls but you'd still have a starting point and you'd still have the course and societies that would help as well. The main reason why people's social life suffers if they live at home is because at first people tend to stick with the people they live with (although this does change as people meet more people) and if they can't stay out late to go clubbing or take part in society events/socials as these are quite often in the evening. If your in a house near the university it wouldn't make that much of a a difference.
I take it at these househunting type events then that they pair you up with other first years?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CJM13)
I take it at these househunting type events then that they pair you up with other first years?
yeah, plus this year the uni facebook page was full of people who didn't get a place in halls looking for others to live with
username1407003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ive heard the village is really popular with international students? do certain places on
and off campus attract certain types eg quiet/loud? Seen some negative village post but its my first choice:confused:
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cali77)
Ive heard the village is really popular with international students? do certain places on
and off campus attract certain types eg quiet/loud? Seen some negative village post but its my first choice:confused:
There are some international students in all the accommodations. Generally people say that the ziggurats tend to be more partyish, village more of a community type feel, but really it all depends on who lives there that year and then it varies from flat to flat anyway. There are always people who like to Party and people who prefer a quieter life in all the accommodations.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cali77)
The village seems to have a good mix of students. I said to someone on here that Orwell & Woolfson seemed to attract more international students a couple of years ago anyway who tend to be quieter but that could have changed although judging from posts I've seen on here and first years I've met most Brits seem to put Ziggurats, Campus ensuite or Village as their top three choices (just in different orders).
username1407003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats really helpful which accomodation did you choose??
Kaylaleigh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no idea how much the new hall they are building will help with that.
If I remember correctly I believe the new block is for post grads (Unless they're building more than one new block?) And at any rate they want to charge £140 a week which is hella expensive. That said internationals are no longer guranteed acocmodation after 1st year so that may help somewhat

I still don't understand why so many people wre not offered accomodation given the number of emtpy rooms I knew about existed (and whole empty flats in mary chapman)
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kaylaleigh)
If I remember correctly I believe the new block is for post grads (Unless they're building more than one new block?) And at any rate they want to charge £140 a week which is hella expensive. That said internationals are no longer guranteed acocmodation after 1st year so that may help somewhat

I still don't understand why so many people wre not offered accomodation given the number of emtpy rooms I knew about existed (and whole empty flats in mary chapman)
I've not been told anything about it but looking at the accomodation list its not mentioned under undergraduate ones.

I think there was just a big mess up somewhere down the line last year, (which happened at a few other unis actually), a current first year I know had to turn down her offer of a place in halls because she got it very last minute and had already sorted out alternate accomodation.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Tue, 12 Mar '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads