Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Dilzo999;43925011]
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    It's to do with honour and pride of the family as for scenario 1: 2 Asian familys one gets 3 A*s the other gets 3 Cs. Now that will obviously hurt their honour and reputation and that's probably the reason why.
    :ditto:

My Asian family will literally disown me if I get anything less than what they expect from their son. It is brutal, but at least it gets you far in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChuckNorris)
    If I get CCC or CCD, what uni can I apply to through clearing if I want to do Business and Management?
    Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChuckNorris)
    If I get CCC or CCD, what uni can I apply to through clearing if I want to do Business and Management?
    Anything that ends with met or bank.

ReputationRep:
    if i get A*AB/AAB where can I apply through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padouken)
    Oxford.
    :rofl:

Don't give him ideas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huntx)
    Really? Could you link pages where people claim to know grade boundaries? Have you found out any yourself?
    I know for a fact that they're not released (to the public) until Wednesday. I think people were linking the UMS boundaries earlier in this thread, which are the same every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    haha I think one of my mates is doing that in Uni as well!
    Really? That is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tr12)
    if i get A*AB/AAB where can I apply through clearing?
    A lot of places. It really depends on what you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'manegg)
    See! We don't need good results! We just need wit and quick thinking!
    Agreed, agreed and agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Excited/nervous to see the M1 and S1 boundaries on wednesday, and in general the grade boundaries. Please be low!
    I'm guessing 61-62 for an A in S1, but it would be nice if it were lower.

ReputationRep:
    InshAllah results day will go brilliant! 3 days to go

ReputationRep:
    when are the grade boundaries coming out? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M-Asim)
    when are the grade boundaries coming out? Anyone?
    Wednesday 😥

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Dilzo999;43925011]
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    It's to do with honour and pride of the family as for scenario 1: 2 Asian familys one gets 3 A*s the other gets 3 Cs. Now that will obviously hurt their honour and reputation and that's probably the reason why.
    Kind of, but it eventually boils down to the massive population, and hence competition which means only the creme de la creme can get into good unis, and get high paying jobs.
    Reputation is merely a side effect, as good as 'the reputation you'd have as a doctor than a mechanic.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asphodel77)
    I assumed that they can change the status any time now since updates from ucas to us is closed.. And so we would only find out when ucas officially opens on Thursday morning from 8 if we have met the conditions of our offer. Last year people began receiving updates from 7.30 but ucas aims for 8. And some unis even send out confirmation emails before ucas updates even though they're not meant to
    When you said unis send out confirmation before ucas updates..do you mean there's a chance that they'll send it in the middle of the night/extremely early in the morning (like before 7)??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do people who did GEOG3 AQA think the grade boundaries for an A*/A will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unashamed Geek)
    It will have your overall grade for each subject and then an expanding thing like the spoilers on this site except it'll be a + to the right, and if you click it the section will drop down to reveal your module scores.

And in response to the Asian thing, There's somebody I know who isn't top of the year type thing. She's just a normal student, so I don't get this stereotype that much because I haven't seen too much evidence of it in my life. Although apparently both her and her brother are good at tennis and piano because they got tutored in them.
    Aw rite thanks. Should be ok.

Yes, I agree. I just cannot understand it. To me if you are not super smart then you cannot get A stars in every single subject all the time. There is a maximum for everyone and to me I know there are some subjects I could not get higher than a B. I think its luck of the draw for certain families when it comes to grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsuperjai)
    When you said unis send out confirmation before ucas updates..do you mean there's a chance that they'll send it in the middle of the night/extremely early in the morning (like before 7)??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not 100% sure when but I've definitely heard of people finding out that way. It's Possible but unlikely because I don't think they're meant to do it so don't bank on it

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kidomo;43925169]
    (Original post by Dilzo999)

:ditto:

My Asian family will literally disown me if I get anything less than what they expect from their son. It is brutal, but at least it gets you far in life.
    But we have a maximum don't we all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneha.vag)
    Really? That is awesome!
    Kenya eh?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.