The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
No Henderson for tomorrow, Clyne 50/50, Klopp will field a young side. Coutinho close to return to training.

Maybe we'll see Clyne and Flanagan each get 45 minutes? Both need to be managed but I don't think we have anyone else obvious to play there.

Yea I think it makes sense to take a risk in this game. We're in one cup final and you'd think the League and EL become higher priorities than the FA Cup.
Few fans getting vocal on Twitter suggesting we should just throw the money at Shakhtar for Teixeira. Do they not understand how businesses work? You need to stick to your valuations, and come to an agreement, because that's the way of the world. We can't be being extorted.
Original post by Mackay
Few fans getting vocal on Twitter suggesting we should just throw the money at Shakhtar for Teixeira. Do they not understand how businesses work? You need to stick to your valuations, and come to an agreement, because that's the way of the world. We can't be being extorted.

If we end up doing that everyone will have unrealistic expectations of him immediately.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
If we end up doing that everyone will have unrealistic expectations of him immediately.

This.

Imagine if he had a slow start after we paid fifty ****ing million for him. It would do nobody - the club, him or the fans - any favours.
Reply 4164

and we'll never get a fair price for any player ever again.
Schalke still trying to get Matip to sign a new contract. Guess we don't have a pre-contract with him yet (or any other club).
Reply 4166
"Hendo can be an option. He did really well for the team in a difficult time with a long-term injury, still having problems, only pain but it's always pain."

"We now are on a really good way but we need to use these two days and hopefully he has recovered after an intensive time and is back in the race."

From the sounds of it, Henderson is still carrying the same injury as he had before and is just being given a break this weekend. Very worrying though
Original post by cBay
"Hendo can be an option. He did really well for the team in a difficult time with a long-term injury, still having problems, only pain but it's always pain."

"We now are on a really good way but we need to use these two days and hopefully he has recovered after an intensive time and is back in the race."

From the sounds of it, Henderson is still carrying the same injury as he had before and is just being given a break this weekend. Very worrying though

Well sounds like we need to find a proper long term fix whether at the end of this season or during the time off before pre/new season starts..

Original post by Mackay
This.

Imagine if he had a slow start after we paid fifty ****ing million for him. It would do nobody - the club, him or the fans - any favours.

If we don't value him at £38m then we're valuing him incorrectly. He's well worth it in total isolation, and especially to a team like us, going through the worst goalscoring spell in our seriously successful history (Norwich aside).

Original post by cBay

He's ****ed something up at the back of his foot, and it means that he'll always be in pain playing with it.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
If we don't value him at £38m then we're valuing him incorrectly. He's well worth it in total isolation, and especially to a team like us, going through the worst goalscoring spell in our seriously successful history (Norwich aside).

He's ****ed something up at the back of his foot, and it means that he'll always be in pain playing with it.

I'd agree if we had say another 5 points and looked like the signing could be the difference between qualifying for CL football by finishing top 4 or not. Unfortunately I think we've left ourselves too much to do.
Original post by Zerforax
I'd agree if we had say another 5 points and looked like the signing could be the difference between qualifying for CL football by finishing top 4 or not. Unfortunately I think we've left ourselves too much to do.

You're looking at it the wrong way - we're not getting top four and we won't be able to sign his quality of player in the summer as a result. We don't spend extra just because he might make the difference this season - but because he's bloody good and he'd be bloody good for us for a number of years. Buy him while we can because there's a much lower chance of us getting him or someone of his quality in the summer.

Compare him to the recent exports from the Ukraine league and he shits all over them in terms of productivity. He's got more goals and assists this half season than Willian and Douglas Costa's last full seasons combined. One of them is Chelsea's player of the season so far and the other is the Bliga player of the season so far.
I wouldn't of minded £38m because as Pimped said, we are desperate for goalscorers but £50m is just too much.

£50m, though.
You're looking at it the wrong way - we're not getting top four and we won't be able to sign his quality of player in the summer as a result. We don't spend extra just because he might make the difference this season - but because he's bloody good and he'd be bloody good for us for a number of years. Buy him while we can because there's a much lower chance of us getting him or someone of his quality in the summer.

Compare him to the recent exports from the Ukraine league and he shits all over them in terms of productivity. He's got more goals and assists this half season than Willian and Douglas Costa's last full seasons combined. One of them is Chelsea's player of the season so far and the other is the Bliga player of the season so far.

I'm hoping the Klopp factor will help us attract some better players. He's gotten himself 7 months to bed into the club and surrounding and then he'll be able to sell his project/dream to players with typical Klopp enthusiasm. We're still the 9th richest club in revenues so we can pay handsomely. In the past it's been the lack of CL football and arguably lack of star manager. At least we've picked up the latter.
I'm hoping the Klopp factor will help us attract some better players. He's gotten himself 7 months to bed into the club and surrounding and then he'll be able to sell his project/dream to players with typical Klopp enthusiasm. We're still the 9th richest club in revenues so we can pay handsomely. In the past it's been the lack of CL football and arguably lack of star manager. At least we've picked up the latter.

It's alright mate, we'll just win the Europe League yeah? :wink:
Original post by Lúcio
It's alright mate, we'll just win the Europe League yeah? :wink:

If only.. a lot of good sides still in the competition. Will still be another 10 decent sides even after teams get knocked out in this R32.
Three years ago on this day, we signed Coutinho.

[video="youtube;nR0Rz7u7mP0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0Rz7u7mP0[/video]
Original post by Mackay
Three years ago on this day, we signed Coutinho.

[video="youtube;nR0Rz7u7mP0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0Rz7u7mP0[/video]

Damn that has gone quickly. I'm hoping he can start adding some consistency to his game..
Original post by Mackay
£50m, though.

£50m is just posturing.

Shakhtar are a very well run business with a clear model. They want to sell.
Damn that has gone quickly. I'm hoping he can start adding some consistency to his game..

His form this season reminds me massively of the back end of 2012/13. We knew we had somebody on the brink of something special, but their flashes of brilliance were all too rare. Such a shame.

Latest