Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I scored 2000 on my UKCAT, average 667 and SJT Band 2
    GCSEs: 4A*, 5As and 2Bs
    AS Levels: AAAB (biology, chemistry, physics and maths)
    A2 Predictions: A*AA (biology, chemistry and maths)

Where would I be better off applying to and where should I avoid?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone who has done the test...Im finding VR on modify so so so so hard....how realistic is this in terms of questions types...i find the wording so tricky on medify. anyone else in my boat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvk19.)
    Hi, that's a great score!! Do u mind me asking what resources you used to prepare and for how long? How did u find the VR btw? Thanks x
    Hi, thanks! For VR I used Medify and also the online UKCAT practice tests and questions. I also read online articles from BBC to help increase my reading speed. I had about a month to prepare, but it's more than it seems because I'm pretty busy for the entirety of the week, not much time there. I used the weekends more

I actually felt the VR section was quite doable! It definitely wasn't easy, but I managed to finish with about a minute to spare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyranitar)
    Hi, thanks! For VR I used Medify and also the online UKCAT practice tests and questions. I also read online articles from BBC to help increase my reading speed. I had about a month to prepare, but it's more than it seems because I'm pretty busy for the entirety of the week, not much time there. I used the weekends more

I actually felt the VR section was quite doable! It definitely wasn't easy, but I managed to finish with about a minute to spare
    hey can I ask what strategy you used? did you strictly scan or read the passage first??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvk19.)
    Hi guys, I have my exam at 8:00 in the morning next week and I'm not a morning sort of person-do u think the time of the exam matters? Please reply x
    I had mine at 8 and did very bad in VR... Got 530 in thst. VChange it if you can but don't change it by weeks. I didn't do as well in QR and ar as well
    You'll probably have a sleeping pattern by then anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suri2017)
    Hi I need to do the Bmat because my UKCat was not brilliant. Where do I start, is there equivalent of medify or something? Is it worth doing a Kaplan course? Do you know of anywhere for practise papers? Any advice would be great.
    I did the Kaplan course for ukcat and it didn't even help. Would NOT recommend it- its also really expensive.

Go on amazon and get the BMAT prep books, there is LOADS out there to help you prepare. If you go on the BMAT website itself there are past papers and also a specification of all the knowledge you need to know for the science section which is section 2.

Start preparing asap as unlike ukcat, the amount of practice and prep you do is actually proportional to how well you do in it. I actually felt extremely unprepared for BMAT because I only decided I was going to do it straight after I did and messed up my ukcat, and I did my UKCAT on the latest possible date! So I didn't have long to prepare and just crammed but it paid off. It's 100% worth doing to give yourself another uni option because offers are so precious for medicine !

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I just sat my UKCAT. I got
    VR:600
    QR:780
    AR: 870
    Band 1
    So an average of 750

I am applying for GEM- does this put me in a good position?

Thanks in advance!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleeyy)
    Hey,

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I just sat my UKCAT. I got
    VR:600
    QR:780
    AR: 870
    Band 1
    So an average of 750

I am applying for GEM- does this put me in a good position?

Thanks in advance!*
    Yeah you're in a really good position

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So i got Avg, 620 Band 2
    GCSEs 5 A* 4A
    A levels A*A*A(A)

Where should i apply?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a209150)
    So i got Avg, 620 Band 2
    GCSEs 5 A* 4A
    A levels A*A*A(A)

Where should i apply?
    Thank you
    Try Bristol *

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Took the UKCAT recently. Was completely shattered and gutted with my score. Attained a total of 2020 (Average 675) and SJT Band 3
    I had planned to apply to King's College London, Queen Mary University of London (Barts) and St.George's University of London. Now I'm seriously blanked out. Please guide me guys. Wanted to apply to these three colleges only as they are situated in London. Help is really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I took the ukcat today and was devastated with my score of 680 sjt band 2, especially as I wanted to apply to queen Mary and kings college
    I have 5 as at grade A and 3A* and 1A A2 prediction and 11a*s and 2a's at GCSE, would this be a strong profile for London universities?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, first post on SR.

Took my UKCAT today. Average 725. SJ Band 1. I am unsure if there is any University that this is not a high enough score to apply for, as I do not want to waste an application. Predicted 2:1 in Geography so I would be applying as a graduate. Scottish Universities preferred, but will consider any English University.

Thanks, and good luck to those yet to take it on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muztrip)
    Hey, first post on SR.

Took my UKCAT today. Average 725. SJ Band 1. I am unsure if there is any University that this is not a high enough score to apply for, as I do not want to waste an application. Predicted 2:1 in Geography so I would be applying as a graduate. Scottish Universities preferred, but will consider any English University.

Thanks, and good luck to those yet to take it on!
    undergrad courses wouldnt rule any out really, GEM is different its often a lot higher.

look at the document attached it goes through undergrad and GEM entry requirments etc
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf (918.3 KB, 122 views)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I would be applying for 'first year', so not entry into second year (I do not think I have that option with my first degree choice in most cases anyway) Will take a look, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how important gcses are to universities?? I am applying for dentistry and have checked the entry requirements for many universities and the majority don't really specify the number of A*'s they want, however I heard someone say that if you have less than 5 there is no point applying?? If anyone knows any further information I would be very appreciative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringSword)
    Hi guys. Took the UKCAT recently. Was completely shattered and gutted with my score. Attained a total of 2020 (Average 675) and SJT Band 3
    I had planned to apply to King's College London, Queen Mary University of London (Barts) and St.George's University of London. Now I'm seriously blanked out. Please guide me guys. Wanted to apply to these three colleges only as they are situated in London. Help is really appreciated!
    You still stand a good chance of getting an interview with that score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how important gcses are to universities?? I am applying for dentistry and have checked the entry requirements for many universities and the majority don't really specify the number of A*'s they want, however I heard someone say that if you have less than 5 there is no point applying?? If anyone knows any further information I would be very appreciative
    Hi, soon-to-be 1st year dental student here!

It varies, to be completely honest. A university would typically want mostly A* and A grades, with a very small fraction of other grades at the most. You'd also need about 8-10 or more GCSEs total, nothing less.

I would say that if you haven't gotten an A or above in English Language (or English if you only did single English), Maths, and Double or Triple Award Science, or if you've retaken GCSEs to get those grades, your chances of getting in are very unlikely compared to those that have.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because universities hold different things in different regards. But, if you're in either of the above situations, your chances aren't as good as others who are more well-rounded.

That said, I have been informally told that if your UKCAT is ridiculously high, they'll look past a few off-the-mark (B's, maybe C's) GCSEs, as long as you've not got problems in all or most of the GCSEs specified above.

PM me if you have any other queries c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    Hi, soon-to-be 1st year dental student here!

It varies, to be completely honest. A university would typically want mostly A* and A grades, with a very small fraction of other grades at the most. You'd also need about 8-10 or more GCSEs total, nothing less.

I would say that if you haven't gotten an A or above in English Language (or English if you only did single English), Maths, and Double or Triple Award Science, or if you've retaken GCSEs to get those grades, your chances of getting in are very unlikely compared to those that have.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because universities hold different things in different regards. But, if you're in either of the above situations, your chances aren't as good as others who are more well-rounded.

That said, I have been informally told that if your UKCAT is ridiculously high, they'll look past a few off-the-mark (B's, maybe C's) GCSEs, as long as you've not got problems in all or most of the GCSEs specified above.

PM me if you have any other queries c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much - that's really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stone101)
    Does anyone know how a percentage would correlate to a ukcat score? For example, when practicing, if I scored 65% in abstract reasoning how would I find out my ukcat score from this?
    scoring 65% is very good in any section its very hard to give an estimate b/c they have a very weird scoring system, but I would estimate it would give you probably around 750-800 points.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.