Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    If i get anything less than 7 A* i will be gutted

ReputationRep:
    Just curious @PQ - when you go into clearing and you ring up, what exactly do you say? Do the admissions on the other end of the phone guide you through it by probing you questions? (E.g. Which courses are you interested in?) OR are you expected to have everything at your own disposal - 'hi, I'm ringing up about clearing, I'm interested in XYZ, I got the grades XYZ etc' cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOL that's crazy, year 1!!

But yeah, I was thinking a top tier university also. Imperial, UCL etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    1. Make the topic choice interesting! If you select a topic which you find boring af, you will find it VERY difficult to work on it.

2. Ensure the topic is relevant to what you want to do - mine was relevant to medicine for example.

3. Don't expect it to lower your offer (especially for competitive subjects like medicine & law) as it won't but will be something interesting to discuss at interview and shows your commitment and articulacy!

4. DO NOT prioritise it over your A-levels.

More specifically:

5. Don't leave everything to the last minute!! (Something I struggled with).

6. Write down EVERYTHING you do in detail on it EVERY DAY in your work log (to save you having to fabricate stuff on your work log!!).

7. Ensure your evaluation is thorough as there is a gold mine of marks for this.

8. Try your best to enjoy the experience - that will motivate you! Remember, there are no marks for content, only for skills shown. But the most fun part is writing the dissertation unfortunately!
    Wow, thank you for this! I really appreciate the advice and will most definitely take it on board. I have decided on my topic: "The colonialization of Africa and the Implications on the perception of the Western world in modern day society". Obviously, this topic is extremely broad, so I will be narrowing it down.

But yeah, thanks for the tips because I was 'flabbergasted' :') by the log book.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Anyone know when you call up for clearing do the unis do a phone interview? I've written down possible questions they could ask but is there any point. Shouldn't it be just about the grades?
    it will vary between universities and courses.

The first phone call will likely be about grades. In some cases that will be all that matters. In others then they'll pass people with the right grades on for consideration (after the phone call) and so they might ring back to have a chat about your interests in the subject. Often that's as much about selling the course and the university to you as it is to check you're suitability.

It's a good idea to do some research while ringing/before hand about the modules and course structure (and facilities) at different universities. That will help demonstrate that you know what you're applying for and have done your homework about it.

ReputationRep:
    Tidying up and sorting out your school things is a great way to get rid of nervous energy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    He joined in 2003 jesus christ we were only in year 1 then
    *she

(See I'm not joking about being really really old )
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Just curious @PQ - when you go into clearing and you ring up, what exactly do you say? Do the admissions on the other end of the phone guide you through it by probing you questions? (E.g. Which courses are you interested in?) OR are you expected to have everything at your own disposal - 'hi, I'm ringing up about clearing, I'm interested in XYZ, I got the grades XYZ etc' cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They'll ask you what they need to know. Most will have a script or a set of forms to fill in.

The key piece of information is your clearing number (that gives them access to your entire application, grades PS reference the lot) and what courses you're interested in (and if you have any flexibility over subjects). They might also ask for grades up front (there's no use asking for your clearing number if you got EEE and are enquiring about a ABB course.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    *she

(See I'm not joking about being really really old )

They'll ask you what they need to know. Most will have a script or a set of forms to fill in.

The key piece of information is your clearing number (that gives them access to your entire application, grades PS reference the lot) and what courses you're interested in (and if you have any flexibility over subjects). They might also ask for grades up front (there's no use asking for your clearing number if you got EEE and are enquiring about a ABB course.
    You're a girl?! I assumed you were a bearded male in their mid-35's.
    Green eyes, brown hair, maybe be-specticales with a posh middle class accent.

ReputationRep:
    Say the clearing req's is ABB, is it pointless to try with BBB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You're doing this again?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    You're doing this again?
    Again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    OMG, im not the only one who envisioned an older version of harry potter!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Again?
    You tried to guess what I looked like last year, remember?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I thought that too
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    OMG, im not the only one who envisioned an older version of harry potter!!!
    I guess you could say that.
    You tried to guess what I looked like last year, remember?
    It's not so much guessing what they look like but the mental image I had of them though
    Was I accurate? I forgot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I guess you could say that.

It's not so much guessing what they look like but the mental image I had of them though
    Was I accurate? I forgot
    Yeah, I think you got like one thing wrong

(I already knew PQ was female hehehe)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hurrrrryyyyyy upppppp results plsssss :sad:
    I'm just going to sit here and wait for 4-ish ( :emo:) days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    *she
    I actually always thought you were a guy, this is interesting to discover
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think you got like one thing wrong

(I already knew PQ was female hehehe)
    Ahhh that's good.

How?!

ReputationRep:
    Bruh takes them a day to count 46 mill votes for brexit and bloody two months for our exams. Why cant we get results quicker smh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.