Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    He has teams across the globe to continue releasing the leaks.
    Plus the site is now mirrored on like 1000 different sites.

Wikileaks is going nowhere
    Yeah, plus the insurance file. I still can't believe all this mayhem has arisen over only 1,000 of the 250,000 docs, it's brilliant.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Only a small proportion of the cables are actually interesting to read. A lot of them are based on things already known by the general public and merely fill in the gaps, so to speak.

That said, the helicopter video is disgusting.

Is it true Julian has to go to the crown court this week?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RNBen)
      Only a small proportion of the cables are actually interesting to read. A lot of them are based on things already known by the general public and merely fill in the gaps, so to speak.

That said, the helicopter video is disgusting.
      The helicopter video? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      I only started finding out about this yesterday late night. Interesting stuff, but none of this is THAT shocking. Politics is politics after all.
      However, it's still interesting to know what they are up to.

Lol, I got negged for this? Oi vey. :rolleyes:
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by unknownking321)
      The helicopter video? :holmes:
      http://www.collateralmurder.com/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by G8D)
      They are clearly trying to prevent more being released. We are less than 1/250th through the cables and the site has already received so much hassle. Kind of makes you wonder what they are trying to avoid, doesn't it?
      Indeed. And that encrypted file which apparently won't have a code released until Assange's death...even more intriguing.
      However, I wonder if that's just the icing on the cake, or just fearmongering of sorts/a hype.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by G8D)
      Well the encryption used is alleged to be crackable by the US government (or anyone with a super-mega-awesome-computer), so I doubt it's an empty threat considering the US govt may already know what is in the file.

Then again this could be rumour and the file is just empty noise.

WE JUST DON'T KNOW... yet.
      Wouldn't it be an anticlimax if the file was just a rickroll video? :P

On a more serious note. I cannot seem to access the Wikileaks page to find out what all of the news is about. But the Guardian thing is very helpful.

And indeed. We can only wait and see. Damnations to patience. >.>

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Shadowplay)
      I am disgusted by today's events.

It wasn't 1984, it's 2010.
      Starting a trial after 2 allegations of rape is not 1984. I support Assange, but rape allegations are very serious and need to be dealt with in the appropriate way.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by G8D)
      Personally I'm hoping for information regarding an unethical alliance between the US govt and some advanced alien species.

Aye, things related to extraterrestrial life... VERY interesting. I wonder when that 'big daddy' file will get released... Has me all curious now and whatnot.
      Curiosity kills the cat. Lucky that I'm not a cat. =]

ReputationRep:
      These allegations are very convenient and this case was thrown out back in September? It's clearly politically motivated! A blind man can see that.

America will get their man. They'll throw all the possible dirt they can at Assange, concocting and fabricating much of it in their dirty little basement, and he'll finally be deported to the "US of A" (American accent, you know it's the greatest place ever :awesome:), where he will undergo a totally unfair trial and the key will be thrown away. Meanwhile, nobody will hold the "US of A" accountable in any way, shape or form, due to fear (obviously), and states will make plenty of excuses on their behalf. They will act with impunity and there's nothing we can do about it.

Oh and what about the Canadian advisor to the PM (Tom Flanagan) who publicly called for MURDER when he said Obama should have Assange assassinated. Where are the charges against him?

I love democracy.
      :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spidergareth)
      Starting a trial after 2 allegations of rape is not 1984. I support Assange, but rape allegations are very serious and need to be dealt with in the appropriate way.

It wasn't f***ing rape. It was sex without a condom and the charges were magically picked up again after being dropped.

ReputationRep:
      It wasn't f***ing rape. It was sex without a condom and the charges were magically picked up again after being dropped.
      I think it was one count of sex without contrapcetion and one count of sex while sleeping.

Either way I think it's ridiculous. It's disgusting that nation states are preventing this information going live.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Muffinz)
      I think it was one count of sex without contrapcetion and one count of sex while sleeping.

Either way I think it's ridiculous. It's disgusting that nation states are preventing this information going live.
      In Sweden, removing a condom during sex without consent is molestation due to the risk of infection. The rape charge; continuing to have sex after being asked to stop is considered rape in this country and in Sweden. Rape is a serious crime and seeing as Assange has confirmed he did sleep with both women, I don't think it is unreasonable that he should be subject to trial on the matter. No-one will ever be able to say if this was a smear or not and it is incredible that so many are outright rejecting the charges. Just because you admire someones work does not mean they are incapable of any wrongdoing. The accusations of these women need to be dealt with.

Personally, I think Assange should have kept his snake in its pouch for a few months or even a year if he seriously thought the USA were spying on him.

ReputationRep:
      Awkward turtle.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MoanyLisa)
      He was charged at City of Westminister magistrates on behalf of the Swedish authorities with of one count of unlawful coercion, two counts of sexual molestation and one count of rape.
      Guardian:

The court heard Assange is accused of using his body weight to hold her down in a sexual manner.

The second charge alleged Assange "sexually molested" Miss A by having sex with her without a condom when it was her "express wish" one should be used.

The third charge claimed Assange "deliberately molested" Miss A on 18 August "in a way designed to violate her sexual integrity".

The fourth charge accused Assange of having sex with a second woman, Miss W, on 17 August without a condom while she was asleep at her Stockholm home

The last one is the only one that could classify as "rape", and surprise surprise - it wasn't heard before today.

A surprisingly good read (for Daily Mail): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

The part which I like the most:

Earlier this year, Sarah is reported to have posted a telling entry on her website, which she has since removed. But a copy has been retrieved and widely circulated on the internet.

Entitled ‘7 Steps to Legal Revenge’, it explains how women can use courts to get their own back on unfaithful lovers.

ReputationRep:
      "The website of the Swedish prosecution authority appears to be under attack by the group on online activists understood to be targetting all anti-WikiLeaks companies or departments.

Each of the six companies, including Amazon and eBay, that have severed ties with Assange and WikiLeaks in past weeks following political pressure have quickly become the subject of sustained online assaults from the group known only as Anonymous. It took just hours for the Swiss bank, Post Finance, to be brought offline after announcing that it was closing Assange's account on Monday.

The distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) overload a website's servers with requests to load. Depending on how much demand the servers can withstand – a beneficial facet of larger companies such as Amazon – the site will either take longer than usual to load or be brought completely offline for a period. Anonymous has gained notoriety for attacks on copyright-enforcement agencies and some of the world's largest record labels."

From The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...rt-of-comments

coolface.jpg

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by silent ninja)
      These allegations are very convenient and this case was thrown out back in September? It's clearly politically motivated! A blind man can see that.
      It might be but then again rape allegations are very serious and should be dealt in a serious manner regardless of current events.

America will get their man. They'll throw all the possible dirt they can at Assange, concocting and fabricating much of it in their dirty little basement, and he'll finally be deported to the "US of A" (American accent, you know it's the greatest place ever :awesome:), where he will undergo a totally unfair trial and the key will be thrown away. Meanwhile, nobody will hold the "US of A" accountable in any way, shape or form, due to fear (obviously), and states will make plenty of excuses on their behalf. They will act with impunity and there's nothing we can do about it.
      If he believe he isn't being given a fair trial then he can request a mistrial or retrial. You can hold them accountable, nobody is stopping you. Nothing will happen to you. Obviously if you want to continue or live in the US, you might be discriminated against in some ways or others but if you don't, then there isn't much of a problem.

Oh and what about the Canadian advisor to the PM (Tom Flanagan) who publicly called for MURDER when he said Obama should have Assange assassinated. Where are the charges against him?
      Erm, you do realise he was joking right and wasn't completely serious? Here is his statement.

"I regret that I made a glib comment about a serious issue. If Mr. Assange is arrested on the recently announced Interpol warrant, I hope receives a fair trial and due process of law."

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...-glibness.aspx

And the police are investigating it.

I love democracy.
      :rolleyes:
      What has this got to do with democracy? Liberty sure, but democracy?

I support Assange and his cause but sometimes **** like this can make people a bit irrational at times.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Seanisonfire)
      I believe that the atrocities that have been uncovered should be punished before we think about the whistleblower.
      I am not denying that some of the things uncovered should be looked into now they have been made public, I do not know the full extent of what you are referring to but I imagine that if there are any atrocities and foul play being described in these documents they should probably be looked into now.

However this does not detract in any way the serious act at hand, and that is that some documents which were classified were published.

This was a breach of security, the idea that Assange and his people should get off scott free is absurd. Free speech only goes so far.

(Original post by MoanyLisa)
      Needless to say, there is no way I agree with that.

It is important to remember it was not Assange who 'leaked' the information.
      This is something that is overlooked again and again.
      Bradley Manning, on the other hand, certainly deserves to punished.

Not wikileaks or the journalist who report the information.
      Some of the same people who are supporting Assange are the same people who are calling for Pvt. Manning to be freed. In my opinion neither should be freed, and here's why.

Although Manning was the one who actually stole the documents, he then passed them onto Assange and the wikileaks people.

At this point Assange and co. were at a fork road. Either they could publish these documents under the questionable guise of "freedom of speech" and "The people have a right to know" which I think is a liberty that is often stretched too far, OR they could have then handed the documents back to the US government uncopied.

Had they done the latter there would be slightly less furore. Sure Assange was not popular before anyway, he had made the news but no-where near on this scale, and he could have evaded this sort of publicity for a few more years.

Instead he chose the former, publishing many documents which were either confidential and others which were classified, which then immedietly brought on the prospect of risks to security.

Manning is guilty and should go to prison, no doubt about that, but the fact that Assange chose to publish them making them avaliable for anyone to see and threatens to continue doing so means that he is equally responsible and should be made to answer for it.

That is my opinion.

I hope you were able to read all of that.

(Original post by Srxjer)
      Yeah, plus the insurance file. I still can't believe all this mayhem has arisen over only 1,000 of the 250,000 docs, it's brilliant.
      The contents is very sensitive in many of them, that's why.

ReputationRep:
      What a coincidence that these rape charges have come up in the middle of the leaks! How conven... er I mean unfortunate! :ninja:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.