Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Also, of the five countries bidding for 2022, I think Qatar's timezone is definitely more suited to the European TV audience, which lets face it, is the majority.
    The USA would have been perfect - late night football. :coma: Though I couldn't see them getting it again so soon after '94.

ReputationRep:
    Spain/Portugal were robbed :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    why you being such a little ***** about things?! Cut out the hard man language, you computer warrior.

Like a terrible referee, they/poor football & sporting events stand out from the crowd. South Africa WC stood out as an abysmal event. Empty stadiums, very poor quality football matches, vuvuzelas, BS legacy talk...
    What I am saying is that if you have only sat through two world cups, I have sat through far more and read about, watched full coverage of games as well from older tournaments too. And Korea/Japan 2002 had far more poor quality football matches and terrible referees than you could shake a stick at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)
    What an absolute joke. Well done to Russia. But the fact we got 2 votes just reeks of conspiracy. Its an absolute farce.

No-one would dare mention a conspiracy. I mean two oil rich countries with hardly an ounce of footballing history between them.
    That's not fair on Russia. They've got a popular national league with big clubs like Zenit winning the UEFA cup in 2008, plus their teams make fair progress in Europe consistently (cska and zenit currently top of their europa leagues). Don't forget, Russia beat England 2-1 in 2008 ,and went on to qualify, ahead of England.

Not forgetting the Russian league is played throughout our summer which puts their national team and clubs out of sync with everyone else in qualifying campaigns/european cups, which is obviously a big disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Its going to be worse than the LDV Vans Trophy - Enough Said.

Its going to full of bribes to referees and the mafia will definitely control it and therefore Russia will do very well in it even though they are crap. Just you wait and see. Plus African nations that qualify and South Americans will get tons of racial abuse. Even England players will. It will be a disaster.
    -_-
    Yeah cus England are amazing arent they.

No I am not. Do you know how much Americans still hate Russia? They hate them with a vengeance and if the USA qualify I doubt many fans will be happy to go. It could even start or boost political issues. Well done FIFA on possibly starting WW3.
    -_-
    So we should do everything based on how Americans will feel yeah?
    You want to compare the amount of people that hate America with the people that hate Russia mhmm?

England has had a very successful campaign against racism in football.
    Okay. But Russia had a better presentation (I heard) Maybe there are aspects of their bid that were better than ours..

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the host nation qualify automatically? Does Qatar even have a football team :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is Ruskiphobic, seriously...the stadiums are good there, racism does happen, but if your white who cares .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    I don't wanna hate on Qatar but far as I know, football's barely even played there, it's not prevalent or anything so of all places, Qatar is just so far out

I know Fifa wants to take football to places it's not the national sport in and where they can introduce it but 12 years to make football big in Qatar? I guess it could be done but it's still a far stretch
    What a load of bulls***. this is. FOOTBALL IS THE NO1 SPORT IN QATAR. Just because their league isn't talked about here (and why would it) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    According to wikipedia China, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Mexico, Malaysia, and Indonesia have applied to host it.

On footbal legacy, Mexico should win it. But knowing FIFA they'll probably choose Indonesia or Malaysia.
    Malaysia and Indonesia can't host it as they are an asian country. The 2026 w/c will have to go to a country in N/A or SA or africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Then you should see the reaction of Qatar when they won the bid compared to Russia. Qatarians were absolutely over the moon while Russians didn't give a **** even though they're hosting it earlier than Qatar. Football is definitely a big deal in Qatar.
    lol I would agree with you but it's too generalising to say all of Russia just didn't care, I'm sure they were celebrating like mad in their homes, pubs, bars or wherever. It was like - 15c in places in Russia at night when they got announced so I can't blame them

Interesting, genuinely didn't know. Don't know much about Qatar in general anyway, until about 3 hours ago I couldn't pinpoint it on the worldmap, I hear they'll have to literally build new cities for the new stadia

Well that's a lot of positivity for Qatars' infrastructure and growth, good on em

ReputationRep:
    I posted a load of crap before about how awful Russia are and how they should never have gotten the World Cup. I just watched their presentation, pigeon English and all. And I was impressed. Fans WON'T need Visas to get in and the get FREE travel between host cities. Plus they've deliberately chosen to have the majority of their host cities around Moscow as opposed to the far east at the China end.

I'm still not totally sure about Russia but they're not the horrible hosts I initially believed they would be. We have the infrastructure, but wouldn't it still cost us a lot of money we don't have to host it? Whatever, Russia may not have the best bid overall but they had the most polished. And still deserved to win in my opinion now. Qatar on the other hand............................ .

ReputationRep:
    I really can't fathom this decision at all. All new venues are going to have to be built. I suppose that's one pulling factor, new state of the art stadiums. However, something must have gone on with the votes. I just can't see how a nation, especially like Qatar have managed to land this. Do they even have a football team? They'll be overjoyed, naturally, the days of playing on sand are over.

On the bright side, Wayne Rooney's said to be exstatic with the decision. Apparently the going rates for Russian & Qatarian protestutes is quite low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    What I am saying is that if you have only sat through two world cups, I have sat through far more and read about, watched full coverage of games as well from older tournaments too. And Korea/Japan 2002 had far more poor quality football matches and terrible referees than you could shake a stick at.
    lol, where have I said that I've only sat through two world cups? And how you've come to this impression is laughable.

I'm 26 so I've 'sat through' quite a few WCs myself.

Congratulations on sitting through so many WCs, watching FULL coverage of games and reading loads and loads on WCs :rolleyes: Want a gold star?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    I'm still not totally sure about Russia but they're not the horrible hosts I initially believed they would be.
    Unless you are black, of course. I hope they aren't planning on having any of the African teams playing in St Petersburg.

However, I'm glad FIFA have given the 2022 world cup to Qatar, I think this means that Isle of Man 2030 is in with a real chance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Great progress from Qatar, a whole stadium. They're on track aint they

I don't wanna hate on Qatar but far as I know, football's barely even played there, it's not prevalent or anything so of all places, Qatar is just so far out

I know Fifa wants to take football to places it's not the national sport in and where they can introduce it but 12 years to make football big in Qatar? I guess it could be done but it's still a far stretch
    Well, you know wrong. Football IS the national sport, pretty much the only sport even played there. I don't agree with Qatar winning the bid and all, but everything you say is not true, it is already the main sport there, everybody is into football, its the national sport and it is already big. There are loads of other things to say to diss Qatar, but this, what you're saying, is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    It's excellent for Russia. I can say that I hope to go and kinda discover their country when they host it. Will probably be grossly overpriced though.

About Qatar in 2022, actually how many football stadia does it have? :lolwut:
    Look at the Wikipedia article for the World Cup final venue in 2022 :facepalm2:

And as for England, it's largely down to the press. First the absolute bell that is Jack Warner, then Lord Triesman's resignation, the country is full of pessimists. It's pessimism which largely brought down the team in South Africa. The nation expects in rather a perverse manner.

But anyway I don't care anymore, because international football is absolutely gash

ReputationRep:
    Also the Fifa executive committee, just lol :facepalm:

Did anyone see Putins press conference about fifa?

ReputationRep:
      FFS some people are sore losers. :facepalm2:

(Original post by CB91)
        FFS some people are sore losers. :facepalm2:
        yeah that is true but then some people have reasons to back it up ie video evidence wikileaks etc :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.