Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Basic Men's Guide to Success with Women Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    The problem is, most of (or a helluva lot) the guys following pua don't get the subtleties, because if they're awkward/desperate enough to rely on it, they're probably awkward enough to do it wrong/fail at translating the humour. A tactic designed for awkward/flailing guys shouldn't really be so subtle, because it just ends up with a lot of confused people acting like dicks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The thing is, social interactions ARE subtle. There is no "unsubtle" way to do these things. While I agree that it's mostly "akward" guys - but I really do think most of the material (that I've seen at least) is designed, clearly, step by step, in a manner that even most "akward" socially inept guys should get, as I can personally vouch that it has worked for me.

Again, let me stress, I don't think it's a magic pill. I also don't think the advice is perfect. I just think that with some effort, that much of the information can be helpful. The fact that *some* people interpret it incorrectly is hardly a good reason to villify ALL of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Yeah my mum is. If this side means the West Indies, then no
    West Indian parent and you've never been to the WI? SHAME

Was actually planning on taking the ferry over for carnival (seeing as I'm here now) but budget and other restrictions have kinda put a damper on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    The problem is, most of (or a helluva lot) the guys following pua don't get the subtleties, because if they're awkward/desperate enough to rely on it, they're probably awkward enough to do it wrong/fail at translating the humour. A tactic designed for awkward/flailing guys shouldn't really be so subtle, because it just ends up with a lot of confused people acting like dicks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's why it's usually focused upon that you need to practise a lot.

I don't see why being awkward means you can't learn something, it doesn't make you thick or anything.

ReputationRep:
    -claps-

for once, the guy has hit the nail on the wall.

instead of the personality lies, people need to know looks matter.

without looks you will most likely get put down gently, or friendzoned if you're lucky

with looks, you don't need personality, or you need to like try minimum

with looks and personality you get a relationship

lifes not fair, but in teh 21st century you can DEFFO improve looks, even with no surgery i.e non surgical methods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jokesforyou)
    -claps-

for once, the guy has hit the nail on the wall.

instead of the personality lies, people need to know looks matter.

without looks you will most likely get put down gently, or friendzoned if you're lucky

with looks, you don't need personality, or you need to like try minimum

with looks and personality you get a relationship

lifes not fair, but in teh 21st century you can DEFFO improve looks, even with no surgery i.e non surgical methods
    Not really, the guy I know whose shagged the most girls is very much average looking. Looks really aren't the most important thing when pulling girls.

Thanks for clearing that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    Not really, the guy I know whose shagged the most girls is very much average looking. Looks really aren't the most important thing when pulling girls.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Looks to get you there, personality to keep

It isn't even looks or personality

it's LOOKS are needed anyway.

from then on, once you pass that point, it's all on personality

do you know how i have obsessively researched this ? i won't go into my life story. Remember, let me add the word 'most' - not all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    PUA is a terrible misogynistic mindset that preys on the vulnerable and produces sad, lonely, bitter men who can't understand why objectifying women has not brought them happiness. The more I can do to save people from this fate, the better.
    This is pretty much the only accurate thing you've said in this thread, but I couldn't agree more.

Memorising a PUA routine and ascribing to the PUA culture is one fairly small step above carrying a bottle of rohypnol, in the patheticness spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    my choice

black/white shirt (real one, long sleeves, but have the sleeves rolled up to your elbow)
    light brown cargo pants
    white belt (for black shirt) black belt (for white shirt)
    White shoes (my choice: the shoes that look like a cross between basketball shoes and sneakers, cool yet light)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Thanks Lu

Its ironic that every single girl on both this thread and the "getting rejected" thread has completely agreed with me, yet still these misogynists think they're right and treating women as social equals will get you "friendzoned" :rolleyes:

Do you mean apart from the fact that 95% of the girls whove posted in this thread who, agree with the OP with which you disagree strongly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    This is bullcrap. My husband had long hair, full beard, didn't go to gym and wore black t shirt on our first date. He doesn't look grungy or messy or whatever. He has since cut his hair because of work, nothing else, if it wasn't required he would have gladly kept the long hair. I suggest you keep your advice to yourself and don't generalize us women. We like the person for who they are and respect them more for not conforming to people like you and your idea of how a man should appear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The entire point of the OP is to provide generalised advice. The fact that there are exceptions is irrelevent provided its true in a plurality of cases.

This is such a common fallacy on TSR and it drives me nuts...

ReputationRep:
    lol..

This "confidence is key" bull**** is just modern PC culture.

There is no guide to dating. anything goes in life, period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    You're right. It is what PUA's recommend.
    Your arguement is a perfect analogy to saying "The Bible promotes peace and love, peace and love are evidently good, therefore Christianity is true".

PUA is a mix of obvious truisms that help confidence AND poisonous mindsets, pathetic, misogynistic "techniques" and advice that might make you more able to get laid but will make you a bad person.

I disagree with Pyolb in a sense - I think the people who are really good in the PUA community do make it work, to a high degree, however what they are doing is immoral, disgusting and implies serious defects in them as people. Its not much different from deliberately getting a girl drunk at a party so she doesn't resist your attempts to have sex with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rightsarerights)
    lol..
    T
    This "confidence is key" bull**** is just modern PC culture.

There is no guide to dating. anything goes in life, period.
    tell that to all the foreveralones on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    tell that to all the foreveralones on TSR
    lol.. it's bull**** people say to be politically correct. most of our modern values are similarly hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    If you're "putting someone down" to the point they're upset, you're doing it wrong.

It's otherwise called TEASING, it's supposed to be done playfully, and in a manner where it is at least somewhat apparent that they're not 100% serious.
    Negging is NOT the same as teasing. Teasing is about something obviously unserious or trivial, all the PUA books describing negging on the other hand suggest focussing on some real physical attribute or behaviour that they will actually care about. A typical example is to jokingly suggest they haven't had time to dress well or do their hair etc. This isn't teasing just because you say it with a smile.

The point in that is showing that you're not a NEEDY person, and that you have other things to do.

Many guys radiate neediness, so that fact that the guy demonstrates that he has other priorities is very important.
    The point of negging is to make the girl feel self-conscious and like she has something to prove to you. It is about establishing yourself as above her on the social heirarchy.

I'm not sure you've read or understood as much PUA material as you think you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rightsarerights)
    lol.. it's bull**** people say to be politically correct. most of our modern values are similarly hollow.
    You are so cute! Like a caricature from the "from the forums" column in Private Eye...

ReputationRep:
    Negging is NOT the same as teasing. Teasing is about something obviously unserious or trivial, all the PUA books describing negging on the other hand suggest focussing on some real physical attribute or behaviour that they will actually care about. A typical example is to jokingly suggest they haven't had time to dress well or do their hair etc. This isn't teasing just because you say it with a smile.

The point of negging is to make the girl feel self-conscious and like she has something to prove to you. It is about establishing yourself as above her on the social heirarchy.

I'm not sure you've read or understood as much PUA material as you think you have.

The point of negging is to make the girl feel self-conscious and like she has something to prove to you
    Again, wrong. Just like most other people, it seems that you've taken one or two BITS of information and applied a heavy dose of your own personal feelings

The point of negging is NOT to make them feel self conscious. The point of negging is to send the message that even though you are interested in them (which you obviously are) that you are not considering them as a perfect person, and that you are not kissing their ass. The point of negging is simply to demonstrate that they are not above you

Negging is more recommended when dealing with someone who is VERY good looking, because you want to make it clear that you are not kissing their ass LIKE ALL THE OTHER GUYS. If they aren't that stunning, it is recommended that you either do NOT neg, or only one or two

One random example of a neg is "'I like your skirt. I just saw another girl wearing the same one a moment ago"

I hardly see this as a major put down

I think the problem is that with reports done on the PUA community, they use one or two bits of information, and PURPOSELY put them in a negative light. Then people read these articles and suddenly believe that the entire PUA community are some sort of scum, when in fact they're just normal average guys trying to figure out attraction

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure you've read or understood as much PUA material as you think you have
    I know for sure that you don't understand the PUA community as much as you think you do. The point isn't to establish yourself as above her - the point is to establish yourself as EQUALS, which is where many guys go wrong, because they've already got it in their heads that this woman is somehow "out of their league"

I'd love to explain to people, you can't read one or two biased articles and somehow think you've got the full measure of the PUA community. While of course not all the information is useful, and not all guys use the information for the best of purposes, you can say the same thing about LITERALLY any topic.

ReputationRep:

This is taken from a "PUA" site, which gives a good explanation on what a neg is supposed to be. Would have included it in my first response, but my internet is taking ages to load

It is important to note that a neg hit is not an insult. Rather, it is an often humorous comment used to communicate active disinterest. New guys often make the mistake of insulting women or being mean to them. That is not the point of negs, and they should never be used to make women feel bad about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Your arguement is a perfect analogy to saying "The Bible promotes peace and love, peace and love are evidently good, therefore Christianity is true".

PUA is a mix of obvious truisms that help confidence AND poisonous mindsets, pathetic, misogynistic "techniques" and advice that might make you more able to get laid but will make you a bad person.

I disagree with Pyolb in a sense - I think the people who are really good in the PUA community do make it work, to a high degree, however what they are doing is immoral, disgusting and implies serious defects in them as people. Its not much different from deliberately getting a girl drunk at a party so she doesn't resist your attempts to have sex with her.
    I've said, several times in both this thread and on others, that one should NOT treat the "PUA rules" as a Bible. That one should read the information with a grain of salt. That there IS sometimes bad or incorrect information coming from so called "PUA's" If you had actually read all my responses instead of cherry picking, then you would not have come to such an incorrect conclusion.

what they are doing is immoral, disgusting and implies serious defects in them as people. Its not much different from deliberately getting a girl drunk at a party so she doesn't resist your attempts to have sex with her
    Ignorance really does breed contempt. Sigh

PUA "techniques" are not magic tricks. Simply following the information will not make women magically jump onto your lap. The information simply explains that there are some NATURAL types of behaviour that encourages female attraction. It explains WHY this works, as well as tips to improve your social interactions.

All PUA "tricks" are simply NATURAL behaviours which have been noted to have a higher degree of success. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tips such as eye contact, body language, how to use teasing or filrty language are all staples of a PUA, but are all based on NORMAL EVERY DAY INTERACTIONS

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.