Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    Unlike you, some people think jeopardizing your health (and life) isn't reasonable.
    Shocking, isn't it ?
    I guess you've never had a beer, then? Or any food with sugar or salt in? Or crossed the road? Or done... pretty much anything? "Jeopardizing your health" is something everyone does on a daily basis, be it for recreational purposes or otherwise. All you are doing is drawing upon rhetoric and social stigma instead of presenting any kind of respectable case.

There's very little evidence that anything but extreme doses of cannabis induce long-term side effects. Even then (wrt. the schizophrenia issue) you are stuck with a correlation vs. causality debate, since it is entirely feasible that the correlation is due to people with more susceptibility to cognitive disorders also being more likely to develop dependencies on substances. At least, this is a more resolved hypothesis than the one that suggests that an otherwise seemingly harmless drug selectively induces a long-term mental disorder.

It's also nigh-on impossible for one to administer oneself a toxic dose. If there's something that puts me off smoking weed it's the tobacco, not the marijuana.

Asserting that "excessive use of a drug is harmful, therefore the drug is harmful" is about as meaningful as suggesting that people not eat because too much food can kill them.

Aside from the tobacco, the only real health concern in cannabis is the potential for impurities due to lack of regulation in its production, which is a side-effect of legislation, not an intrinsic property of the drug.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to smoke anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Choosing not to smoke an illegal drug can hardly be described as a 'deprivation'.

Weed is not harmless at all, it causes serious mental health problems and has some of the associated problems of cigarettes because of the material used to keep the spliff alight. I already have a mental health disorder and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, to deliberately inflict that on yourself is utterly foolish and plain stupid, IMO.

I don't drink either, so no get out clause there. And you don't have to try something that is illegal and detrimental to your health to knock it. :rolleyes:
    Show me one piece of evidence that proves cannabis causes serious mental health problems. and weed is not always taken with tobacco...

Don't knock till you know facts.

ReputationRep:
    Question for the people who don't like the idea of smoking: would you eat or vapourise weed given the chance? That way you can get the effects without inhaling any damaging smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasted Wrath)
    Show me one piece of evidence that proves cannabis causes serious mental health problems. and weed is not always taken with tobacco...

All depends on definition of serious.
    Their are studies that have proved a direct link with issues with memory etc etc etc. Although.. none of it is 'serious' in my eyes, i am inclined to agree with people who say it just isnt reaaalllyyy that harmful.

ReputationRep:
    All I want to do is live a good, normal and healthy life. Is that good enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    I like smoking te weeds, it gives me super powers....

Seriously though, I don't get why people don't smoke...

I know it's bad for your health etc. but im the type of guy that will try most things (within reason) at least once, whether it be smoking weed, wakeboarding, sky diving, playing golf etc because I want to live my life to the full and don't want to be deprived of new experiances...to be honest that would be a terrible waste of a life IMO

Obviusly weed is relativley harmless (compred to alcohol etc) so I don't understand the people that are so dead against it, they won't even try it!

I totally understand if you tried it, and hated it, but if you haven't tried it why knock it? Before people say it's bad for you or it's illegal, please stop and ask yourself why you drank when you were under age and still drink now...:rolleyes:

I just want to know why people miss out on this awesome plant
    Because if your caught with it, or have enough personal stash you could get arrested for supplying even if its for personal usage, apart from that and its legal status, that why i haven't tried. Did you post whilst you were high? lol potheads are funny as ****, this is coming from a guy who has a few pothead friends.

ReputationRep:
    Because I have a serious history of mental health in my family (inc. schizophrenia), cannabis can trigger this disorders. It all depends on your genetic makeup (this is accepted by a lot of researchers), mine is at a higher risk so I'd rather not take the chance - most people are probably safe from mental health issues though.

I don't drink much either, only on a very odd occasion (heavy drinking actually triggered schizophrenia in my uncle, so y'know it's not just cannabis). Drugs mess with my mind a lot and I'd rather just keep it clear. I do smoke, but I'm quitting now because it's pointless and a waste of time. It doesn't help me, just like cannabis won't help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    All depends on definition of serious.
    Their are studies that have proved a direct link with issues with memory etc etc etc. Although.. none of it is 'serious' in my eyes, i am inclined to agree with people who say it just isnt reaaalllyyy that harmful.
    Temporary loss of memory is nothing compared to what nonsense people spout about weed. I agree it isn't harmful as most stuff in this world isn't, but when taken in excessive amounts anything gets harmful. The fact it's illegal and tobacco and alcohol aren't just stuns me. Nicotine being one of the most addictive drugs... just because it's taxable.

ReputationRep:
    The notion has never appealed to me.

I like my brain cells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    The notion has never appealed to me.

I like my brain cells.
    Yet another bull**** theory spouted around by the government - Cannabis doesn't kill brain cells.

ReputationRep:
    There's only reason and that is, I've never managed to get hold of any and i wouldn't know where to look to try and get some!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    Because I have a serious history of mental health in my family (inc. schizophrenia), cannabis can trigger this disorders. It all depends on your genetic makeup (this is accepted by a lot of researchers), mine is at a higher risk so I'd rather not take the chance - most people are probably safe from mental health issues though.

I don't drink much either, only on a very odd occasion (heavy drinking actually triggered schizophrenia in my uncle, so y'know it's not just cannabis). Drugs mess with my mind a lot and I'd rather just keep it clear. I do smoke, but I'm quitting now because it's pointless and a waste of time. It doesn't help me, just like cannabis won't help me.
    You are completely right in not wanting to try it if you have a history of mental disorders. I haven't touched weed in 2 years, but I am still feeling its affects. My family (to my knowledge) don't have a history of mental disorders, yet it affected me very badly. I only smoked it a few times but I very quickly became paranoid and developed problems. 2 years down the line, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am on anti-anxieties. I went through hell and i cannot urge you enough not to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    The fact that it is illegal means absolutely nothing, so you need to stop saying it in a way which suggests weed is bad. Not wanting to break the law and not wanting to smoke weed are not the same thing. The fact that it is illegal probably isn't a contributing factor to your decision not to have tried it, you are just using it to try and justify your decision.

People's reasons for not doing it really don't add add up (the following list is not necessarily personal to you, but in general):

I don't do it because it's illegal - You probably have illegal pirate copies of songs on your ipod, or have broken the law at some point

I don't do it because it damages my health - You probably drink alcohol and if you don't you are still likely to partake in activities which are just as bad, if not more bad, to your health.

These are the main two reasons people use. But are they really the reasons? Or is it because of the effect society has had on people? When you think of "drugs" do you automatically think of only weed/cocaine/ecstasy or do you think what drugs actually are; anything which alters your state of consciousness. People really are misinformed and misled, consciously or otherwise.

The fact that you see weed as a deliberate infliction of a mental disorder onto myself shows how misguided you are. You are no different to the deluded people of Uganda who have been brought up to believe homosexuality is wrong and that it reduces your lifespan by 24 years.

I couldn't care less about the idea of breaking the law through smoking cannabis, my point was not subscribing to an illegal substance isn't a 'deprivation' by any stretch of the imagination. It's not like cannibis is some perfect substance we are being cruelly separated from by it being illegal.

I don't drink and am pretty proud to say I treat my body well. There's no point avoiding drugs, alcohol, an unhealthy diet etc etc to just pollute that effort with cannabis.

With all due respect, if you had ever suffered a mental health disorder in the way I have you wouldn't dream of advising other people to play russian roulette with their health. To brush off such a dehabilitating illness as you are is nothing short of ignorant.

(Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Number one - I do not drink.

Number two - There is no reason why I should try cannabis.

The questions I always ask myself when there is a health (or health related) decision to make:

"Is it beneficial to your brain?"

"Will it enhance your brain performance?"

"Will my longevity be enhanced?"

Cannabis scores a "NO" on all the above questions. Therefore, I am not interested in "trying it" - the same stands for alcohol.

P.S. I am a life extension enthusiast, therefore the "You only have one life, so live it to the fullest" stance does not appeal to me to make me be reckless and silly.

I travel the world, meet new people, do new things etc - but stupid and reckless activities do not come into this "live life to the full" of mine.
    Completely agree with this post

(Original post by Wasted Wrath)

I'm sure you're quite capable of googling the numerous studies showing a direct correlation between cannabis use and mental health problems, so maybe the quote below of someone experiencing the real effects themselves will mean more to you.

(Original post by my9rides)
    You are completely right in not wanting to try it if you have a history of mental disorders. I haven't touched weed in 2 years, but I am still feeling its affects. My family (to my knowledge) don't have a history of mental disorders, yet it affected me very badly. I only smoked it a few times but I very quickly became paranoid and developed problems. 2 years down the line, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am on anti-anxieties. I went through hell and i cannot urge you enough not to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're quite capable of googling the numerous studies showing a direct correlation between cannabis use and mental health problems,
    He didn't ask for evidence of a correlation though did he. There is a correlation between mental health problems and nicotine, alcohol and suicide.

so maybe the quote below of someone experiencing the real effects themselves will mean more to you.
    I agree with what my9rides posted, i'm sure they are quite right in avoiding cannabis. However that doesn't mean that cannabis caused the onset of their bipolar disorder or that they would now not be suffering from it if they hadn't used cannabis. It could be totaly unrelated or they could have been using cannabis to self medicate the early symptoms of bipolar disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be bothered really, I don't know where to get it and can't be bothered to spend money.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I have no interest in it or its effects. If it were legal I still wouldn't feel obliged to try it.

Although I do know someone who suffers from schizophrenia and it has been linked to their drug use. Having intimately seen their condition, even though its only a correlational rather than a causal relationship, I have no desire to go down there.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less about the idea of breaking the law through smoking cannabis, my point was not subscribing to an illegal substance isn't a 'deprivation' by any stretch of the imagination. It's not like cannibis is some perfect substance we are being cruelly separated from by it being illegal.

I don't drink and am pretty proud to say I treat my body well. There's no point avoiding drugs, alcohol, an unhealthy diet etc etc to just pollute that effort with cannabis.

With all due respect, if you had ever suffered a mental health disorder in the way I have you wouldn't dream of advising other people to play russian roulette with their health. To brush off such a dehabilitating illness as you are is nothing short of ignorant.
    It's not like cannibis is some perfect substance we are being cruelly separated from by it being illegal.

I actually disagree, cannabis is wonderful, and not allowing those who wish to take is cruel. I decide what's good and what's bad for me based on my own research, not someone else (ie, the government).

Can I ask why you are over protective of your body? This is a serious question, and I am not for one second saying there is anyhting wrong with doing this, but realistically, you don't have to never drink alcohol or never do any drugs to maintain a good body. I am still dubious about whether it's legality does play a part, whether consciously or not. Do you EVER take ANY drugs? I would be surprised if that answer was no, and if you do, it's just a contradiction of your second paragraph.

Well I obviously don't know the extent to which your mental health has suffered, but you seem to be assuming that I my self am perfectly sane, which I can tell you now, I am not. But I wouldn't quit driving if I had a car crash, I wouldn't quit walking if I fell over, I wouldn't quit eating if I choked, I still drink alcohol even though one of my family members committed suicide as a result of their alcoholism. The point is, just because cannabis has caused problems in some people, it is such a minority. Not smoking weed just because a few people have had bad experiences is no different to never crossing the road because a few people have been run over whilst doing it (a few is a massive understatement as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whimsicality)
    Firstly I have no interest in it or its effects. If it were legal I still wouldn't feel obliged to try it.

Although I do know someone who suffers from schizophrenia and it has been linked to their drug use. Having intimately seen their condition, even though its only a correlational rather than a causal relationship, I have no desire to go down there.
    Have you tried cannabis before? Because I would just like to point out that you can NEVER know the effects of something before trying it, not with drugs anyway.

Imagine that you have only ever felt sadness. You wouldn't know what "happy" is or feels like, you wouldn't even be able to begin to imagine until you actually felt it for yourself. When we are describing something, we can only attach adjectives which are relative to what we already know. Now if you have only ever experienced being sober (in terms of cannabis) you can never know what being high actually feels like. Sure, I could say "it makes me feel happy" but that's because words don't exist to describe such an altered state of consciousness. I could say, for example "Going on a roller coaster makes me feel happy" and you would understand what I meant, because you have experienced happiness and hence understand.

It's ****ing hard to explain right, so please excuse the rambling, but basically, trying to describe the effects of cannabis to someone who has never tried cannabis, is like trying to describe colours to a blind person. You could try as hard as you want and they might get some basic idea, but they will never be able to invision a colour based off your description.

Of course, if you have tried cannabis before, then ignore me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're quite capable of googling the numerous studies showing a direct correlation between cannabis use and mental health problems, so maybe the quote below of someone experiencing the real effects themselves will mean more to you.
    I asked you for proof that cannabis causes mental health problems, you can state a correlation between a lot of things.

There's a correlation between sunspots and global warming but does that prove that our recent CO2 output is not to blame for rising termperatures, no.

And the person you quoted could have triggered the disorder purely because he was genetically prone to it. Are you taking one persons statement on a forum as fact, if so then why aren't there millions of people roaming the streets with bipolar disorders due to cannabis. It simply isn't a proven thing...

I repeat, show me one study that without a doubt proves Cannabis is the cause of Schizophrenia, no a study of 4 people who had smokes cannabis in their lives found 25% were schizophrenic. I want a longitudinal study of a large amount of males and females of all ages which has been peer reviewed and published that proves what you are saying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.