Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Pheebs10)
      Hey everyone!
      Just wondering what Browning question people think will be asked tomorow on the paper, as I have only really started revising over the weekend and want to reassure myself I have studied the right poems! A bit late now, I know but any predictions would be good!
      Studying the previous exam papers. The Patriot has not had its own question but has appeared on a section A part B question in june 2010. The Pied Piper also appeared in june 2010 and has had its own question so it's very unlikely. Fra Lippo and Bishop Orders His Tomb have also had their own questions. My last Duchess had its own question on the spec paper. Porphyria's lover has never had its own question but has appeared as part of the section A part B question on the spec so that is the strong favourite.

Overall the favourites are Porphyria's Lover and The Patriot.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mizikei)
      It's not necessarily pentameter... could be tetrameter (4 stresses) , hexameter (6 stresses) etc. Also, I've been told that it's more interesting to talk about where the rhythm is different, rather than where it's all the same (use of trochee, anapaests etc.)
      Should I be worried I have no idea what terms like trochee and anapaests mean?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by esachica)
      You make me nervous
      Haha I agree, anyone having last minute '**** I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING' moment?

Its been a year since I've attempted a section A part b... tommorow morning

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by casio99)
      Should I be worried I have no idea what terms like trochee and anapaests mean?
      No None of us do

ReputationRep:
      Hopefully we don't get one of those dodgy section B questions.... Look at January 2010 paper.... there is a question on repetition.... who would have thought of that??

ReputationRep:
      Just wondering, do you reckon we actually need to use quotes in Section A Question B because you are not marked on AO2 (form stucture and LANGUAGE) ? obviously there will be some times where a quote is needed but not in terms of language .. because it takes me ages to find quotes !?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by InspiredEmma)
      Just wondering, do you reckon we actually need to use quotes in Section A Question B because you are not marked on AO2 (form stucture and LANGUAGE) ? obviously there will be some times where a quote is needed but not in terms of language .. because it takes me ages to find quotes !?
      Uhm, not essential. I remember reading the examiner report for one of the papers and the person said people make too many question a-like points in question b. You just have to argue against and for it then reach a conclusion which should be your opinion.

ReputationRep:
      Does anyone know how I can fulfil ao4 for Enduring Love?

I really hope settings will come up for section B!

Yes you do to back your arguments up. AO3 emphasises excellent supportive references which is quotes.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
        Haha I agree, anyone having last minute '**** I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING' moment?

Its been a year since I've attempted a section A part b... tommorow morning
        Week leading up to the exam, I was fine. Now I'm sitting here thinking: "I KNOW NOTHING. I AM GOING TO FAIL AND MAY AS WELL GIVE UP ON LIFE AND BE A HOBO" etc! So scared!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by pocky)

i think talk about the whole religion v science debate a bit? theres not much, i dont remember my teacher saying a lot about it

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by nerd123)
        this will sound really stupid, but I was doing a mock today on the significance of openings in 3 texts, and I just couldn't come up with much for The Great Gatsby other than Gatsby sounds mysterious :s does anyone know any on the top of their heads?
        The opening will be the first whole chapter
        **exits and entrances of key characters:
        @ nick-'inclined to reserve all judgement' so we know that he is not biased, and that everything is like true blablabla...
        @ daisy 'it was the kind of voice....played again'. she has a seductive voice.
        @ tom 'national figure' he is powerful...
        @ sight of gatsby, the mystery and introduced to the enigmatic protagonist.. he was staring at the green light.

**tensions
        @ relationship of tom and daisy- we learn he is having an affair.
        the mood/atmosphere

the opening setting;
        @ shows the diversity between the east/west. new/old money. + context, society during the 1920s etc... the money/houses also reflects the characters.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by esachica)
        Week leading up to the exam, I was fine. Now I'm sitting here thinking: "I KNOW NOTHING. I AM GOING TO FAIL AND MAY AS WELL GIVE UP ON LIFE AND BE A HOBO" etc! So scared!
        LOL same.

I just spent the last 4 hours revising/annotating the Thomas Hardy poems in my anthology, and I watched Small Island earlier this morning so it should suffice, I'm gonna do some more in the morning as the exam is in the afternoon, good luck !

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by pocky)

LOADS of AO4 In Enduring Love
        -A theme is religion v. science.
        In modern society the overtly religious are regarded as 'pushy' and people are often sceptical due to extremism etc. leading to the reader being wary of Jed from the off. In comparison Joe has a scientific nature, often seen as the opposition to religion. Foreshadows the conflict they have. Society today is built upon and places alot of trust in Scientific research, brining the reader closer to Joe. However some readers may feel alienated by alot of the scientific jargon he uses, causing the opposite effect to occur.

-Homosexuality.
        Whilst our opinion of homosexuals is rapidly changing many are still against them, or in the most case at least not IN favour of them. This creates a subliminal, dislike/mistrust of Jed as soon as he calls and says 'I love you'.
        Joe again is the opposite - in a heterosexual relationship, thus gaining the support and sympathy of the majority.

-Relationship breakdown
        In modern times divorces etc. are becoming more and more common. Most people have at least been affected by a break up in some way, thus will share some of Joe's pain when he goes through this. On the other hand Jed is causing the split, thus will be subjected to the readers dislike, as he is associated with bringing about a pain that the reader themselves knows in the real life.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by awais590)
        LOL same.

I just spent the last 4 hours revising/annotating the Thomas Hardy poems in my anthology, and I watched Small Island earlier this morning so it should suffice, I'm gonna do some more in the morning as the exam is in the afternoon, good luck !
        And to you!

ReputationRep:
        What can I write for AO4 in Browning?! AHH!

ReputationRep:
        I suppose you could say how society would feel about the way that the count in My Last Dutchess portray's women as possessions 'My last dutches', given the advancements in women's rights etc.

Also In Porphyria's Lover you could say how the VICTORIAN society at the time of writing would have received her overt sexuality.

I'm making this up as I go along here, as I do Browning for section B.

The good thing about AO4 and Browning is you can write about how it affected Society when it was written and society now - two points in one For example he criticises the church alot - especially in The Bishop Orders His Tomb, I doubt the heavily religious Victorian Britain would have regarded this as anything short of controversial. However now religion is less pivotal, and criticism of the wealth of the RC church is out in the open.

ReputationRep:
        Going to try and get a good sleep, hopefully no dreams of being chased by a giant, rampaging F

Good luck to eveyone tomorrow, and doubly thanks to eveyone who aided me in my queries, I'm sure you guys will ace the exam.

Lastly,

InspiredEmma- This webpage hopefully helps with the context of Porphyria's Lover while mixing in help with symbolism as well:
        http://www.shmoop.com/porphyrias-lov...m-imagery.html

This one shows you different interpreatations of 'My Last Duchess' and the numerous groups (i.e. Feminist, Marxist etc.):
        http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/...ss/pva264.html

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
        I'm pretty curious to see what named poems they give and what section B questions there are will they have seen our prayers on the tsr for symbolism and answered them or thought let's really do them in and give them voices.

Whatever happens - there's always june

ReputationRep:
        His religious position?

I'm not doing section A on poetry under any circumstances so haven't really looked too much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.