Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asians, are you allowed to marry a girl/guy of your choice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im hindu, born and raised in the UK, both my parents have been living in the UK since young children. They would still prefer me to me with a guy of the same culture, but I have now been dating a guy for over 2 years which they do not approve of. I finally got the courage to tell them and they think we have only been dating for 4 months.

At the end of the day, I think it is what makes me happy and I am not going to let them bully me out of this relationship, like my last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Some ppl are getting muddled. Arranged marriage is where your parents set it up, but you do get a choice, you can accept or reject....

Arranged =/= Forced Marriage.
    Some times these can be one in the same...

(Original post by Tyrotoxism)
    off limits - black people / muslims (or hindus if you're from a muslim family)

frowned upon but increasingly accepted - white people

ambiguous - yellow people
    Why off limits?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Question open to all, but mainly targeted at South-Asians. Are you allowed to marry a person of your choice, even if he/she doesn't originate from the same country as you?
    No.

I will have to choose between a predetermined selection which doesnt mean CHOICE. What if I say no to one and after which no one better comes along? What will one contrived meeting with him show me? No choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is not all asian boys/girls have to have arranged marriages, if the parents are cool about that kind of thing. Im white/asian so I guess it's my choice really.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think i would be able to marry whoever i choose although i know my parents would prefer it if i married a Pakistani girl, Indian/Bengali/Arab regardless of their religion would be out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_1989)
    Im hindu, born and raised in the UK, both my parents have been living in the UK since young children. They would still prefer me to me with a guy of the same culture, but I have now been dating a guy for over 2 years which they do not approve of. I finally got the courage to tell them and they think we have only been dating for 4 months.

At the end of the day, I think it is what makes me happy and I am not going to let them bully me out of this relationship, like my last.
    You should find someone of the same culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Actually, if a South Asian person reproduced with a non-South Asian person surely there would be a statistically lower probability of genetic diseases caused by double recessivity being expressed?
    Indeed.

But do not ignore the other side of the same argument from genetics. The advantageous predispositions preserved precariously in some homozygous polygenic loci will be annihilated in the offspring of wide gene-pool mixing. There are advantages to a continued line of a narrower breeding, notwithstanding the fact that they are harder to trace and less obvious than the contrary, i.e. a patent genetic disease caused by a double recessive of a single gene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Indeed.

But do not ignore the other side of the same argument from genetics. The advantageous predispositions preserved precariously in some homozygous polygenic loci will be annihilated in the offspring of wide gene-pool mixing.
    Erm.... what? Are you trying to stimulate everyones D4 receptor again :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Indeed.

But do not ignore the other side of the same argument from genetics. The advantageous predispositions preserved precariously in some homozygous polygenic loci will be annihilated in the offspring of wide gene-pool mixing. There are advantages to a continued line of a narrower breeding, notwithstanding the fact that they are harder to trace and less obvious than the contrary, i.e. a patent genetic disease caused by a double recessive of a single gene.
    Lol pathetic attempt at negging some random post instead of the one you disapproved. Once again, thinking you're too clever and I'm too dumb to notice You must be offended at the fact that you constantly try to be clever but fail miserably.

ReputationRep:
    I have a typical Indian family who operate under the whole 'no blacks, muslims or whites' rule. I had a whole hour long argument with my mum about this but to no prevail. Although I know families who still arrange marriages and don't allow their kids to marry just 'any' Indian, they have to be from a certain background and village and whatnot. Seems like we're back in the 1800s.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.