Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I got a high B in my january exam, they didn't allow me to resit it in june because they said the next module was harder. I got an A in the next module and the coursework with the same amount of effort put into the first module but I got a B overall, then I asked to resit my B and they said I should do it in the summer. I was 1 UMS away from an A in AS, I'm so angry with them.
    Same! One measly mark! Grrrrr.

ReputationRep:
    The exam was difficult I have to say. There were no 'nice' questions like Tm or Tg stuff. The amino acid one was annoying, until I realised the answer was ON the data sheet. For the experiment one, I put down colour of reaction mixture, bromine and use a colorimeter which I confirmed with a very clever friend of mine later. I hope it is right. The concensus after the exam was it was difficult, which may be a blessing in disguise as they will most probably lower the UMS. The only good thing I can take away is I answered all the questions, and to the best of my ability, if that means anything. Lol.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidden_desire)
    Same! One measly mark! Grrrrr.
    It happens to me in every exam, my maths GCSE I was one mark away from an A* and I was 2 UMS away from an A in unit 1 bio and chemistry which is why I flopped my AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyworldwide)
    i put you could add startch indicator and follow the reaction in a colorimeter...because it will slowly turn black as the iodine is produced.
    i put starch indicator as well. this was the experiment i had to do for my coursework so im pretty confident its correct.

ReputationRep:
    You know for the ester question if you draw the formula but do not show all the bonds will you lose marks even if you write the right formula? It said structural formula, but I didn't draw the lines of the bonds.
    Does anyone have the paper please?

ReputationRep:
    You see for the blue dye question and the polymer that absorbs everything besides the blue dye, what did you write for whether the concentration of the blue dye would increase or decrease? I wrote that it will increase because it absorbs the water so there will be more moles of the blue dye in the water that hasn't been absorbed or something like that. It was one mark I think.

ReputationRep:
    You see for the blue dye question and the polymer that absorbs everything besides the blue dye, what did you write for whether the concentration of the blue dye would increase or decrease? I wrote that it will increase because it absorbs the water so there will be more moles of the blue dye in the water that hasn't been absorbed or something like that. It was one mark I think.
    I just put that the concentration of blue dye would increase. Although for that question I suppose either is fine. As in that context they're the same thing. And because absorbance is proportional to concentration it seems like it is the sort of thing they were looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I just put that the concentration of blue dye would increase. Although for that question I suppose either is fine. As in that context they're the same thing. And because absorbance is proportional to concentration it seems like it is the sort of thing they were looking for.
    You should get the mark for that. Though I think it said explain what would happen so I made sure to state the obvious just in case and there was a lot of writing space.

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put down for the peak at 93, I wrote C6H5O but am I supposed to put a positive charge on it or something?

ReputationRep:
    You should get the mark for that. Though I think it said explain what would happen so I made sure to state the obvious just in case and there was a lot of writing space.
    They always leave more space than what is actually necessary, it usually for a question like that only requires a brief explaination of key points. So I reckon we will have done fine on that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllUnits)
    What would work too if there was gaseous oxygen given off. I can't remember the exact equation though.
    it was the catalyst

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put down for the peak at 93, I wrote C6H5O but am I supposed to put a positive charge on it or something?
    yes posotive charge was needed

ReputationRep:
    Oh Chemistry brings back so many memories of college... I swear if I had known of TSR back in the day I would have got a much better mark :/ Good luck to all for their summer exams.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the paper please?

ReputationRep:
    God I am dying over the thought of this exam still. Eurgh, 2 weeks till we find out......

ReputationRep:
    i know.. i hope for low grade boundaries.. do you still think it was a difficult exam??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    i know.. i hope for low grade boundaries.. do you still think it was a difficult exam??
    Now I look at it it wasn't that difficult but I made stupid mistakes, but i've looked at the grade boundaries and they're usually lower anyway, and jan 10 was easier than jan 11, june 10 was hard though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    I think it was difficult. Its annoying because of all the revision and preperation and I feel I just messed up Then again, there were some trick questions i swear

I hope there are low grade boundaries. The grade boundaries are generally low for this exam, I think to get an A for raw marks was 65/90 once?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trixy.Sam)
    I think it was difficult. Its annoying because of all the revision and preperation and I feel I just messed up Then again, there were some trick questions i swear

I hope there are low grade boundaries. The grade boundaries are generally low for this exam, I think to get an A for raw marks was 65/90 once?
    I agree it was a bit of a nasty paper. There were some odd questions. I think one of the worst was one when it was asking about why certain batteries are better than others for the environment (can't remember specifics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I agree it was a bit of a nasty paper. There were some odd questions. I think one of the worst was one when it was asking about why certain batteries are better than others for the environment (can't remember specifics)
    Oh. i remember that question. Basically, it was ' suggest reasons why potassium ferrate has been called a green oxidisng agent and why super-iron battered would be more environmentally friendly to dispose of than NiCd batteries.

I can remember putting that it is green as it contains iron in the Fe2+ oxidation state and will be oxidised to Fe3+ to produce rust which is not harmful to the environment compared to the NiCd batteries which are toxic to and hence will reduce uptake of blood in living organisms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.