Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying for months to transfer my credits from the OU across to this year, but it seems like the whole department is on holiday. Don't fancy doing a whole heap of modules again that's have already done plus more and they agreed I could transfer them, just nothing is happening. Has anyone else transferred credits before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermione_moo)
    I've been trying for months to transfer my credits from the OU across to this year, but it seems like the whole department is on holiday. Don't fancy doing a whole heap of modules again that's have already done plus more and they agreed I could transfer them, just nothing is happening. Has anyone else transferred credits before?
    A girl that's starting with me has transferred all of her OU stuff across to Cumbria x I would just give the admissions at the uni you're going to a quick ring to find out what's going on, there should be someone around because all enrollments are starting x

ReputationRep:
    Hy everyone.i thought I'd offer my help.im starting my second year in ba social work in 2weeks.im studying at Bradford college but accredited by Leeds met.if u have any questions about the course or social work I'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone recieved their timetable yet? I'm interested to find out how many contact hours I'll be likely to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisajazz)
    Hy everyone.i thought I'd offer my help.im starting my second year in ba social work in 2weeks.im studying at Bradford college but accredited by Leeds met.if u have any questions about the course or social work I'd be happy to help
    See my above post

ReputationRep:
    At Bradford college it 3days a week.about 9-3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisajazz)
    At Bradford college it 3days a week.about 9-3
    Thanks I've managed to locate my timetable now: 4 days per week - 26 hours one week and 30 the next! Two days a week I'm in from 9.15 to 19.15, one of which is just one lecture! I knew it was going to be more full on than other courses but slightly taken aback by that. Still though, I would much prefer that to having approx. 8 hours per week like some second years I know who are studying different subjects - I'd feel sooo ripped off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vcarey)
    Thanks I've managed to locate my timetable now: 4 days per week - 26 hours one week and 30 the next! Two days a week I'm in from 9.15 to 19.15, one of which is just one lecture! I knew it was going to be more full on than other courses but slightly taken aback by that. Still though, I would much prefer that to having approx. 8 hours per week like some second years I know who are studying different subjects - I'd feel sooo ripped off!

In Cardiff Met we are in for a full day (9-5) on a Wednesday and have directed study on a Thursday in the 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RM12)
    In Cardiff Met we are in for a full day (9-5) on a Wednesday and have directed study on a Thursday in the 1st year.
    That's all? Wow, lucky you! It's mad how much it can vary. I suppose you're probably expected to do more independent study the less contact hours you get though? That's what I've read somewhere anyway. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    That's all? Wow, lucky you! It's mad how much it can vary. I suppose you're probably expected to do more independent study the less contact hours you get though? That's what I've read somewhere anyway. Good luck!

Yeah i think you're right Hun.
    I'm glad its like this though so i can still work in the first year, i can't afford to give up work yet. i think its similar for the 2nd and 3rd year too. The only time the days increase is when we are doing our PLO's. We are doing 25 days in February.
    We're in for 2 weeks full time to begin with, we start on Monday.

Did anyone else manage to work in the first yr? i hope i haven't bitten of more than i can chew, especially with 5 children :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RM12)
    Yeah i think you're right Hun.
    I'm glad its like this though so i can still work in the first year, i can't afford to give up work yet. i think its similar for the 2nd and 3rd year too. The only time the days increase is when we are doing our PLO's. We are doing 25 days in February.
    We're in for 2 weeks full time to begin with, we start on Monday.

Did anyone else manage to work in the first yr? i hope i haven't bitten of more than i can chew, especially with 5 children :eek:
    You probably can work in first year I did,it's 2nd and 3rd you probably can't.in first year I worked like 4 days a week now for second year iv had to cut it down to 1day a week I might even be giving up all together if it dunt work out

ReputationRep:
    Well it's only 2 days to go until I start at uni, I'm officially unemployed as from the 30th of September and I have now finished work. I am feeling a bit nervous but really excited too and I'm really looking forward to making new friends :-) I hope everyone has a fab time at uni :-) xx Mand xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Same to you hun. Good luck with everything.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPa

ReputationRep:
    Ouch!
    UWE we are in Monday 9:30am - 3:30pm, Tuesday mornings and Wednesdays 9:30am - 4pm.
    My employee has agreed for me to drop to 2 days a week in the first year, so I'm glad I didn't go to Bath otherwise it doesn't sound like this would have been possible...
    Good luck with your studies x

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone Hope all is going well at uni xx I'm going to touch upon a subject from a while ago that caused a bit of an uproar but now I can see where the younger people were coming from It was in a comment from a school leaver about mature students that can be judgemental. I for one defended myself because I'm a mature student but I on the otherhand give everyone the benefit of the doubt and as it happens, at uni I am in a group that has several school-leavers/ early 20's and I get on with them like a house on fire However, yesterday whilst in our tutor groups, a lady who is a bit older than me (I'm 36) represented herself very much judgemental and I was horrified. I was more flaberghasted because she works within the Social Care sector and she is very rude I am going to keep my distance from her because I can feel an ill feeling between us, as I will challenge her on it and the way she is coming across, I speak my mind unfortunately I'm not perfect but I try to get along with a diverse age range. I hope our tutors recognise this and nip it in the bud soon. What do you all think? Opinions supporting and refuting this will be welcomed, I understand not everyone's opinions are the same Thanks x Mand xx

ReputationRep:
    What was she being judgemental about? In my first year we were encouraged to talk about our values and how we feel about certain behaviours or groups. Everyone has opinions that can be judgemental but being aware of them and where they have come from is important to make sure they don't influence practice with service users.

ReputationRep:
    Anglia Ruskin university provide all students with £1500 to spend on books in there book shop which includes items such as laptops pens etc all esentials you need. If you dont spend the money you can get it back at the end of the 3 years

(Original post by Mand76)
    Hi everyone Hope all is going well at uni xx I'm going to touch upon a subject from a while ago that caused a bit of an uproar but now I can see where the younger people were coming from It was in a comment from a school leaver about mature students that can be judgemental. I for one defended myself because I'm a mature student but I on the otherhand give everyone the benefit of the doubt and as it happens, at uni I am in a group that has several school-leavers/ early 20's and I get on with them like a house on fire However, yesterday whilst in our tutor groups, a lady who is a bit older than me (I'm 36) represented herself very much judgemental and I was horrified. I was more flaberghasted because she works within the Social Care sector and she is very rude I am going to keep my distance from her because I can feel an ill feeling between us, as I will challenge her on it and the way she is coming across, I speak my mind unfortunately I'm not perfect but I try to get along with a diverse age range. I hope our tutors recognise this and nip it in the bud soon. What do you all think? Opinions supporting and refuting this will be welcomed, I understand not everyone's opinions are the same Thanks x Mand xx
    hey chick! hope your course is going well in general

need more info regards your conundrum pls. was she being judgmental regards the younger students, or is she just too opinionated and doesn't present well? or does it concern u that there's always one and you will end up confronting her?

or is your question with regards to speaking your mind and whether it's a good idea or not...?

questions. questions.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else in there 2nd year that has got there 100 day placement yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lk2877)
    What was she being judgemental about? In my first year we were encouraged to talk about our values and how we feel about certain behaviours or groups. Everyone has opinions that can be judgemental but being aware of them and where they have come from is important to make sure they don't influence practice with service users.
    We were talking about our experiences in SW backgrounds and it came to my turn. I mentioned about working with a family in my volunteer role (no names were mentioned because I'm a stickler for confidentiality) and how they moved up to where I live with no family ties here. Before I got a chance to speak she scoffed, made an asumption and said,'' They're probably running away from something or someone.'' I said,'' well this maybe true but whatever their reasons they are entitled to help.'' I didn't go into why and I have knowledge, that has nothing to do with anyone else, I just love working with the family and they deserve all the support they can get. The younger ones were talking about Freshers week and she was sighing and acting totally uninterested but I'm sorry I think you should make the time because these guys in the future will maybe work alongside you and they are entitled to some respect too. Maybe it's just my principles and everyone doesn't think like me but it annoyed me and I'm very straight talking so I may not contain what I'm thinking if it carries on I'll be happy to discuss this further in class because I feel it needs addressed tbh xx Mand xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2014

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.